Wedge (coaxial) vs PA (horn) as FRFR Monitors

icarri

Hi, I'm in the doubt between Coaxial Wedges like Yamaha DHR12M / EV PXM-12MP vs PA with horn like Yamaha DXR10.

Right now there is an offer in my counter where I can get the dhr12m for 575€ or the DXR10 for 675€ (around 200€ discount on each from standard price).

The use is to replace my power amp + 4x12 cab by a FRFR for my FM3. It will be used both for rehearsal and playing live in small clubs, probably placed behind me, both for me to hear it and the publick in front of us. Not in front of me unless we are playing in a bigger place through PA.

Both should have enough volume, the DXR10 a bit more SPL (131db v129db) but I guess i'll enjoy more the coaxial design as I'm afraid of the horn sounding too bright as I'm not used to it plus it's more directional. On the other hand, for the public the PA will sound probably better than the coaxial.

What would you choose and why? thanks!

All other things being equal (and they never are), a lot of the benefit of a coaxial is had if you’re going to be nearer the speaker. I have the DXR10s, and while they are respectable monitors, for guitar I prefer the way the tone is spatially better integrated in my PXMs.

If this is for your audience, they likely are too far from the speaker to notice that difference.

Back
Top Bottom