Webcam for Skype & Producing Video's?

Warrior

Power User
Considering a webcam for high quality Skype sessions as well as producing your own video's for tutorials. Has anyone used a webcam for dual purposes like this?

Also open to other suggestions. Trying to keep costs under $300. Preferably at $200 or lower.

With any photo/video work, lighting is key. If you have good, ample lighting, even cheap cameras can do a decent job. A couple of large, bright, and diffuse light sources will go a long way to improving the results with any camera. Dig around on Google for some DIY softbox or umbrella light projects. External mics will give you better results with audio too. Built in audio in most webcams is pretty crap.

Logitech Brio 4K Ultra HD Webcam at $199 is your best bet

If $200 is the dollar you want to be at- buy that one

If you want to spend MORE than $300- I'd recommend a Cannon Rebel

With any photo/video work, lighting is key. If you have good, ample lighting, even cheap cameras can do a decent job. A couple of large, bright, and diffuse light sources will go a long way to improving the results with any camera. Dig around on Google for some DIY softbox or umbrella light projects. External mics will give you better results with audio too. Built in audio in most webcams is pretty crap.

I was using a Sony HV20 so I do have a light kit with umbrellas and I also have a Lav mic so I should be covered there.

I like my Logitech C920.... inexpensive and great for skype and video!

Logitech Brio 4K Ultra HD Webcam at $199 is your best bet

If $200 is the dollar you want to be at- buy that one

If you want to spend MORE than $300- I'd recommend a Cannon Rebel

Yeah, you could pick up an older model used Canon Digital Rebel with a kit lens for around $200 to 300 pretty easily. Will be more flexible than any dedicated webcam and of course they take great stills too. The Rebel T series and newer supports video recording in camera.

B&H has a pretty good selection of used gear.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801653585-USE/canon_3818b002_eos_rebel_t1i_500d.html

I do have a Logitech C910. I didn't mention it because it wasn't working with my current OS X and driver. After posting this I saw they had updated their app/driver and now the C910 works on my system. I may still want to upgrade. Just need to decide how far I need to take it.

I had been considering using my iPhone 6 for video instead of my HV20 just for simplicity. The HV20 is tape.
A Rebel would be nice. Could I use that as a webcam as well - If needed?

Yeah you can- and you can input like raw video with huge quality too

I recommend a T3i for video

I have a T3 and a T4i- I sold the T3 and I'm going to sell the T4i to buy one or two T6i's

You can probably pick up a T3i for a fair price today

Back
Top Bottom