We want Firmware 12

Fractal seems to be explicit to Axe II users that Version 5 (and other firmware upgrades) for that unit is coming out but we haven't gotten word whether anything new will be coming out for the Ultra or Standard. I agree that it wouldn't make total sense to put out an update for a unit that is not even retailed anymore.

It would just be nice to know as dedicated users whether something will be coming out. If not, no worries...but seeing all the Axe II guys continually see new firmware when we haven't seen anything since May is brutal. I just can't afford an Axe II like many here but love my Ultra. Would love to play with some of the new amps, etc though.

I guess I'm more wishing that Cliff would be continue to be generous to us Ultra/Standard users beyond his incredible generosity to this point.

Last edited:
I believe that Cliff said that a lot of the stuff that he's doing in the AxeFXII can't be done in the gen1 stuff since there's only one DSP which is why he ended up developing the new device in the first place. I'm pretty sure that he stated that he took the gen1 as far as he could, but I remember him saying something along the lines that if he did come across something new that could be done to on the Ultra or Standard that he would probably release an updated firmware.

Now don't take that as the gospel, but thats what I remember reading.

I know that the firmware thing is a big deal here, but don't forget that many companies will stop supporting a device without it ever working as advertised in the first place. I look at the Ultra and Standard as the exception to that rule where the support dropped off because it's complete product and just can't be taken any further. Big difference there IMHO. I mean how many things have you bought over the years that never worked like they were supposed to, you were promised an update and it never materialized? That's definitely not the case here. The Ultra I had was just about perfect with v11 and the only reason I sold it was because of the improved IR support for user cabs.

Personally, I LOVE the fact that I'm not having to update my Ultra every other month anymore. I can set my tones and not have to revisit them over and over to make sure they sound the same after I update. I know what I'm getting and what to expect with the Ultra. I'm sure that the II sounds even better but I'm barely scratching the surface of the Ultra as it is. I may get a II down the road but I couldn't be happier with the Ultra as it is right now.

I'd imagine if there was a new firmware for the standard and ultra, it could possibly introduce a bug and then cliff, being a nice guy, would most likely fix it and that would cause him to lag on his star product which is not a good idea. I'd rather keep my current bug free standard and let cliff make a better mousetrap with the 2.

I hear you. The II is probably an amazing product. If I was a professional musician or owned a studio, I'd probably buy one in a heartbeat and write it off as a business expense. Technology marches on. I don't expect Cliff to stop R&D simply because I gave him $2000 a couple of years ago. Just like the Macbook you buy today will be superseded in a year by something better.

Cliff's been beyond generous with firmware updates over the years for us Ultra/Standard owners...all for free! He could easily have nickel and dimed us for the updates, much like some video game companies do with downloadable content. We probably would have paid for it ;-) I personally feel we've gotten top notch treatment as customers.

Besides, now the Ultra/Standard are "vintage". That makes them, um....better ;-)

Personally, I LOVE the fact that I'm not having to update my Ultra every other month anymore. I can set my tones and not have to revisit them over and over to make sure they sound the same after I update. I know what I'm getting and what to expect with the Ultra. I'm sure that the II sounds even better but I'm barely scratching the surface of the Ultra as it is. I may get a II down the road but I couldn't be happier with the Ultra as it is right now.

Back
Top Bottom