We want Firmware 12

Now that I've read through the manual of the G2. As an Ultra user I'm finding myself most jealous of the simplicity of the effects "types". Analog Delay, 2290 delay, tape....etc. I've never been the best at knowing what everything does on each effect. It takes soooo much time to figure out the best way to use an effect. Guess with G2 they went more for the simple pedal approach. I officially have GAS again. The ultra rocks and I didn't think there was much reason to go for the II but now there is :(

Now that I've read through the manual of the G2. As an Ultra user I'm finding myself most jealous of the simplicity of the effects "types". Analog Delay, 2290 delay, tape....etc. I've never been the best at knowing what everything does on each effect. It takes soooo much time to figure out the best way to use an effect. Guess with G2 they went more for the simple pedal approach. I officially have GAS again. The ultra rocks and I didn't think there was much reason to go for the II but now there is :(

Yeah, I find the FX much harder to dial in than the amps on the Ultra because of this, too. I understand the amps/cabs/filters/EQs really well and can combine them to get any base tone I want but it's harder for me to say emulate an "analog" delay with the generic delay block in spite of knowing darn well it can do it easily. :)

Anyway, one good resource is the pedal/fx settings thread here:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...ther-all-pedal-effects-emulations-thread.html

and also grabbing stuff out of the factory presets and other people's stuff.

Then if you are using AxeEdit you can save specific settings and recall them later. For example, you can save a phaser setting called "MXR Phase 90" and recall that whenever you want a similar setting for a patch.

I've got a pretty good library at this point but it's sort of a shame the II came out when it did because it basically killed a lot of the enthusiasm in the G1 preset threads and settings exchanges. So you have to go back and sift through stuff rather than just watching and looking for new things to come in.

I'd pay for a G2 firmware, even if I can only use one amp block and a few effets at the same time.

I wouldn't. I have been listening to Axe 2 demos since the day it came out and have never heard anything that indicated the improvements would be anywhere near worth giving up half the functionality of my Ultra for. I have world class tone right now with the Ultra. My ability to achieve tones is not gear-limited at this point, my only limits are due to hearing/playing ability/tweaking skill. Sure, I may (probably will) get an Axe 2 someday but it'd be for the added features (I'd love to reamp easily, ditch the MIDI interface and the IR features would be awesome).

So, that said, a lot of people here are really deluded with regard to how much improvement they are likely to get tonally from a different unit, IMHO, and all of this freaking out over a new model is somewhat overdone at this point. My current unit gets any sound I can imagine and any sound I've ever heard on a record for the most part. I can't understand what a different unit would ever do beyond that. Once it sounds good/real everything else is tweaking. So updates may make it easier to dial in but that's hardly worth raping the capabilities of the current device for (via a "half" G2 firmware). I guess there's the completely nebulous and subjective "feel" thing too, but IMHO, that is a grossly overrated issue. Seriously, a lot of people claiming that the II is a huge upgrade in "feel" also have said for years now that the G1 units "nailed" the feel thing. And based on personal experience, I moved from 20 years+ of tube gear experience to the Axe 1 with not one regret/problem due to "feel" so for me, again, existing units feel right so any incremental improvement from a different or new unit is hardly likely to be earth shattering.

Sure, when I get a windfall of cash sometime in the future, or my old unit needs replaced or I somehow decide I need a second one, I'll definitely go Fractal because I'm happy with my existing unit and they've earned my loyalty with their products but this current G1 unit is kicking ass and taking names. Why the mad rush? I suspect it's a more social/fashion/neophile groupthink driven thing than an honest to goodness need-driven thing for most people.

The G1 units are basically done and they're awesome. I guess we'll just have to live with that. Oh the humanity. LOL.

Last edited:
I wouldn't. I have been listening to Axe 2 demos since the day it came out and have never heard anything that indicated the improvements would be anywhere near worth giving up half the functionality of my Ultra for. I have world class tone right now with the Ultra. My ability to achieve tones is not gear-limited at this point, my only limits are due to hearing/playing ability/tweaking skill. Sure, I may (probably will) get an Axe 2 someday but it'd be for the added features (I'd love to reamp easily, ditch the MIDI interface and the IR features would be awesome).

I totally agree with you ! and I also love my ultra too much to just leave it and jump on the GAS-train.

Why this quote zenaxe ? I'm not concerned. You don't know anything about me, don't even try to lecture me.

Last edited:
I suspect it's a more social/fashion/neophile groupthink driven thing than an honest to goodness need-driven thing for most people.

zenaxe, the gen 1 AxeFx ultra is awesome. the axe2 is "awesomer" if I may use the term. as an owner of both I can honestly say that the axe2 brings some things to the table that I've never heard or "felt" with my ultra. many guitarists who have gotten to know and appreciate the finer points of their favorite guitar plugged into their favorite tube amp, from many years of use and experience, will really love what the gen2 modeling brings to the table. now, as you've stated this difference may be perceived as relatively small, and thus not worth the extra coin, to some, whereas others may scream with joy when they hear/feel the axe2 deliver that "it" factor that they've been seeking in a modeler. not to mention the added bag of goodies that you get with the axe2. nobody's wrong here. IMO the axe2 IS worth the coin (and then some). as well, the gen1 units are still very fine pieces of gear and an incredible value. Love 'em both!

Reactions: jon
Yeah, I find the FX much harder to dial in than the amps on the Ultra because of this, too. I understand the amps/cabs/filters/EQs really well and can combine them to get any base tone I want but it's harder for me to say emulate an "analog" delay with the generic delay block in spite of knowing darn well it can do it easily. :)

Anyway, one good resource is the pedal/fx settings thread here:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...ther-all-pedal-effects-emulations-thread.html

and also grabbing stuff out of the factory presets and other people's stuff.

Then if you are using AxeEdit you can save specific settings and recall them later. For example, you can save a phaser setting called "MXR Phase 90" and recall that whenever you want a similar setting for a patch.

I've got a pretty good library at this point but it's sort of a shame the II came out when it did because it basically killed a lot of the enthusiasm in the G1 preset threads and settings exchanges. So you have to go back and sift through stuff rather than just watching and looking for new things to come in.
Thanks so much zenaxe for noting that thread. I remember coming across is awhile back. This totally helps my gas for the G2! I can just reference these for most of what i was looking for. Awesome stuff!

One-upping a joke with the same joke isn't a joke. 12 is dead, in this case. I'm pretty sure the Axe-Fx 1 stops at 11, but I'm not always right. ;)

I got an Axe-Fx II now, anyway ;)

This is a quote from Cliff in another post regarding the Gen1 Axe: "People wonder why there haven't been many firmware updates recently. The reason is the FLASH is nearly full. I've run out of tricks to find more memory. I'm reserving what little is left for amp models."

ahh it would be soooo nice for a little treat as a finale [gazes upwards] or a note from the 'master' saying " nope, thats yer lot!" as a second best.

put us outa our misery.

To choose from more and new amps/cabs and make your own selection for the Firmware would be nice though.

Hardwares get obsolete and can't expect a never ending update. 11 was definitely a treat given by Cliff. IF Ultra was to get a v12 we'll want 13 and so on... Just gotta remember... When Mac's cat family changes from one cat specie to another we gotta PAY for those each iterations of mutations. That's just a way of life.

Hardwares get obsolete and can't expect a never ending update. 11 was definitely a treat given by Cliff. IF Ultra was to get a v12 we'll want 13 and so on... Just gotta remember... When Mac's cat family changes from one cat specie to another we gotta PAY for those each iterations of mutations. That's just a way of life.

I'd never want a V13 by fear it would be the last ! French are superstitious..even the dutch frenchmen are. But I'd be lucky to pass on to 12 someday. Before more amps, I hope an eventual V12 would make it easier, for me I guess, to get fat & deep clean sounds. I still have difficulties to obtain such sounds (would be interested in any patches or instructions & links in this direction BTW). Howbeit, I still discover appreciate tweak sounds, the endless amps to be discovered and abilities with the ULTRA V11 each day I have the time to switch it on and the subject CAB IR's is another endless source for new discoveries and a parameter of durable perfection. Also am I glad not to have to retweak again my 10-15 standard patches each month. Let's wait & see, and before all : keep on rocking !

Back
Top Bottom