we need a better wha block??

javajunkie said:
Tito83 said:
Try to set the threshold and gain more carefully and use the attack and realease to fix any tracking problems. If it's hitting the top everytime try lowering the gain. Also another thing that I found import was the curve of the modifier. It's all a bit tricky.

That said, yeah, I couldn't get it to track just as good and smoothly as a good envelope filter. I got it close enough for me though, so it's all good.

About the RMC3 thing, the dip switches alow stuff the Axe won't. It's not the same as the sweep curve on the Axe.

What do the dip switches do?
SWEEP-This bank of 9 DIP switches allows you to select your desired sweep within a 9 octave range. The switches may be used in any combination to create familiar wah sweeps as well as some never before available. The voicing parameters go from higher than the old SCHALLER Bow-wow/Yoy-yoy pedal to deeper than any bass wah.

FINE TUNE-These 2 trimmers work in conjunction with the SWEEP DIP switches to allow you access to values "in-between" switch settings. The effect of these trimmers is slight and might not be audible to every player. For those that can hear the difference, they are available.
Changes the sweeps. It was PIA for me cause my taste changed from week to week. Switched to Automagic Silvermachine MkIIfor a while.
Finally -I went with a custom job made for me by Dunlop and now the Axe....

GuitarDojo said:
javajunkie said:
Tito83 said:
Try to set the threshold and gain more carefully and use the attack and realease to fix any tracking problems. If it's hitting the top everytime try lowering the gain. Also another thing that I found import was the curve of the modifier. It's all a bit tricky.

That said, yeah, I couldn't get it to track just as good and smoothly as a good envelope filter. I got it close enough for me though, so it's all good.

About the RMC3 thing, the dip switches alow stuff the Axe won't. It's not the same as the sweep curve on the Axe.

SWEEP-This bank of 9 DIP switches allows you to select your desired sweep within a 9 octave range. The switches may be used in any combination to create familiar wah sweeps as well as some never before available. The voicing parameters go from higher than the old SCHALLER Bow-wow/Yoy-yoy pedal to deeper than any bass wah.

FINE TUNE-These 2 trimmers work in conjunction with the SWEEP DIP switches to allow you access to values "in-between" switch settings. The effect of these trimmers is slight and might not be audible to every player. For those that can hear the difference, they are available.
Changes the sweeps. It was PIA for me cause my taste changed from week to week. Switched to Automagic Silvermachine MkIIfor a while.

I should clarify. what do they do that the axe-fx doesn't have parameters for?

It's different. On the RMC the dip switches change the actual sound through out the sweep, not just the course of the pedal or whatever it's controlling the frequency parameter. Also there's the fasel/halo inductor thing that I guess could be another option to be added.

Tito83 said:
It's different. On the RMC the dip switches change the actual sound through out the sweep, not just the course of the pedal or whatever it's controlling the frequency parameter. Also there's the fasel/halo inductor thing that I guess could be another option to be added.

Hmmm, that's not very specific?

Can't explain any better then the actual manual does. If you want actual technical information, you'll have to ask someone else, I'm just a guitar player ;).

Tito83 said:
Can't explain any better then the actual manual does. If you want actual technical information, you'll have to ask someone else, I'm just a guitar player ;).

:D

Its just if Cliff is to add anything he usually needs a pretty specific idea and be convinced that you can not do it with available tools.
If you look at the manual it seems like it just effects the sweep range:

# FINE TUNE - The two trimmers (5th & 6th) let you subtly fine tune the primary SWEEP DIP settings. Turning the trimmer to line up with the "leg" (solder point @ 9:00) adds bass. Turning the trimmer to the 3:00 position adds treble. While these tuners can be turned 360 degrees, only the half-turn from 9:00 to 3:00 is required to make the transition from bass to treble.
# SWEEP - The 9 pole DIP switch expands or compresses the sweep range of the RMC3. The switches are set up in a sonic progression. Switch #1 equals the maximum sonic value of FINE TUNE. Switch #2 is the sonic equal of Switch #1 and FINE TUNE together... and so on. This overlapping stairstep sequence lets you select the depth and width of the RMC3's actual frequency sweep. The higher the number switch(es) selected, the wider and deeper the sweep will be.

I could be mistaken but the tracking parameter might be used to emulate the effect of something a fasel?

javajunkie said:
GuitarDojo said:
javajunkie said:

I should clarify. what do they do that the axe-fx doesn't have parameters for?

That was my point . Nothing!

How would I go about using the Room EQ Wizard program to get the values I need from my Crybaby From Hell wah?

After having the opportunities to A/B the Axe-fx Wah against a bunch of high end ones, I'm convinced, the Axe-fx wah is definetly lacking IMO. Most don't care enough for the effect to bother, but it definetly bothers me. I would really like if Cliff took the time to improve the Wah block.

Tito83 said:
After having the opportunities to A/B the Axe-fx Wah against a bunch of high end ones, I'm convinced, the Axe-fx wah is definetly lacking IMO. Most don't care enough for the effect to bother, but it definetly bothers me. I would really like if Cliff took the time to improve the Wah block.

Did you A/B between real whas and Filter block?

How would I go about using the Room EQ Wizard program to get the values I need from my Crybaby From Hell wah?

GODDAMNIT!

Tito83 said:
After having the opportunities to A/B the Axe-fx Wah against a bunch of high end ones, I'm convinced, the Axe-fx wah is definetly lacking IMO.

Which ones did you A/B against?

A/B'ed it against Fulltone Clyde Deluxe (twice), RMC1, RMC3 and a Crybaby Fasel. The Axe could get somewhere close, but it definetly lacked depth, it was not "dramatic"(?) enough.

Spawn-X said:
Tito83 said:

Did you A/B between real whas and Filter block?

No, I didn't. Have anyone had any luck doing that? Would like to try it out.

I'm using a Behringer FCB1010.

While I do agree that the feel of the pedal (I actually strugle a bit with it, I have to tweak the expression curve) could be improved by using a better expression pedal, I have a hard time to believe it would have a significant impact on the actual tone. I even say significant because I think the course of the sweep on the pedal plays a good part on the wah thing, and a good sweep makes it better, but then again, I don't think it has an actual impact on the tone.

Tito83 said:
A/B'ed it against Fulltone Clyde Deluxe (twice), RMC1, RMC3 and a Crybaby Fasel. The Axe could get somewhere close, but it definetly lacked depth, it was not "dramatic"(?) enough.
Frankly speaking, I don't think you spent enough time dialing them in. Sure, if you compare the ones listed above to the default Axe Wah, they are gonna sound different, but you can also get them very close. Not within minutes, but you can get there.

When I dialed in a Bad Horsie of a friend of mine some time ago it took me roughly 4 hours, spread over a weekend, giving your ears some rest inbetween. The end result was so close IMHO that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a band setup.

I read all those 'the Wah isn't good enough posts', but noone really gives specific ideas on what they want to get improved about the Wah. All the correct parameters are there. An actual Wah isn't that complex. Maybe the Axe Wah may sound a little too 'hi-fi' and there could be some kind of drive parameter be added that adds a bit of dirt (most Wahs have a slight volume boost, driving your amp's input harder), but apart from that I really do believe it can be tweaked properly if you carefully replicate heel down / toe down positions.

Back
Top Bottom