we need a better wha block??

Javilynch

Inspired
Hi!

i'm testing some wha pedals vs axe wha block,and definitely, I miss the real thing,is the effect less convincing of my dear and beloved axe fx,I found some settings that make the job well, but not as good as my old pedals.I have tried filters in conjunction, eqs ... nothing comes close....when I use a cc, "pedal" is unstable according to frequencies.
Please Cliff can we have a better Wha?? or am I missing something?.

thanks!

Cheers!!!

From the Wiki:

Clyde Wah

You can Emulate the Clyde Wah by setting the Wah Block to:

* TYPE: Bandpass
* FMIN: 369hz
* FMAX: 2369hz
* RES: 4.17
* TRACK: 5.08

Bad Horsie Wah

Here are the settings for a limited edition, signed by Vai himself, white model Bad Horsie:

Type: Bandpass

Fmin: 301 Hz

Fmax: 1434 Hz

Res: 4.37

Track: 8.27

The present wah might be "fine", but more diversity of flavours would be nice.

People are constantly asking for new amps or other effects to be added to the Axe's abilities, so why should a wah be any different?

If someone can advise how to get the Axe wah to sound just like the Budda wah then I'd be a very happy camper.

soularflair said:

People are constantly asking for new amps or other effects to be added to the Axe's abilities, so why should a wah be any different?

If someone can advise how to get the Axe wah to sound just like the Budda wah then I'd be a very happy camper.

Hmmm, it has almost an unlimited amount of diversity. It contains most of the variables that make wahs different from each other. The wah is different as it is not a modeled effect. Much like the flanger, chorus, delay, etc. Only amps, drives, and cab are modeled on the Axe-fx.

I wish I could help on the Buddha wah, but I don't have one. I'm sure there are a couple of people here that do. I could look at what the line 6 model does (I think it has a model of that wah).

soularflair said:

Do you have one ? Easiest way is really to A/B them and dial it in. Dialing in anything specific by memory doesn't really work. I agree with Java, all the important parameters are there. Took me an afternoon to dial in the Bad Horsie settings from above which belongs to a friend of mine and it was almost spot on. Now one could argue that this or that Wah sounds better, but it's again just a matter of careful listening and tweaking. If I ever find the time I'll also try to dial in my ancient Dunlop Wah, just to see if it works as well...

Doing some studying. it seems like the fmin should be about 600hz (I would try lower, like 500), fmax ~2300hz, it has a fairly sharp peak apparently - try around 4.5-5 for res, I would try setting tracking around 5.

you will have to mess with the feel yourself. Each expression pedal is going to be different. Add a little damping to keep things from moving too quickly through the sweep.

I hope that helps

Messing around with it, I liked 420 for fmin, fmax 2200hz, a little over 5 for res, ~5.6ish for tracking, you can boost up the level a tiny bit to give you a little more hair.

javajunkie said:
Doing some studying. it seems like the fmin should be about 600hz (I would try lower, like 500), fmax ~2300hz, it has a fairly sharp peak apparently - try around 4.5-5 for res, I would try setting tracking around 5.

you will have to mess with the feel yourself. Each expressionpedal is going to be different. Add a little damping to keep things from moving too quickly through the sweep.

I hope that helps
javajunkie - Thanks for the insight - I'll try those settings for the Axe.

VegaBaby - I don't own a Budda wah myself, although I came close to just going and buying one after hearing it. I figured the Axe would have to be able to get real close though, so I'd prefer to get the tone that way - or at least give it a real good try first.

I did a test last night to measure the frequency response of my CryBaby GCB-95 Wah and the Axe-Fx Wah.

Here are the results:
2q3rm87.jpg

The Axe-Fx settings were:
Fmin: 437
Fmax: 2135
Res: 5.75
Track: 7.99

Input was set to Analog Rear.

Measurements were done using Room EQ Wizard.

The magnitudes of the plots were adjusted to provide 0db at the peak. I was more interested in the shape of the response as opposed to the magnitude. I may do another test to compare magnitudes. The plots show the performance is pretty much identical down to -12db.

Rich G. said:
I did a test last night to measure the frequency response of my CryBaby GCB-95 Wah and the Axe-Fx Wah.

Here are the results:
2q3rm87.jpg

The Axe-Fx settings were:
Fmin: 437
Fmax: 2135
Res: 5.75
Track: 8 (I'll have to confirm this one)

Input was set to Analog Rear.

Measurements were done using Room EQ Wizard.

The magnitudes of the plots were adjusted to provide 0db at the peak. I was more interested in the shape of the response as opposed to the magnitude. I may do another test to compare magnitudes. The plots show the performance is pretty much identical down to -12db.

Cool, with evidence to support it. :ugeek:

Back
Top Bottom