We Lost a Long Time Moderator?

I just wish there were more people like Jay. Knowledgeable, willing and able to defend what they know. Perhaps if there were more folks like him, there'd be fewer people who believe in $7k speaker wires and think that dinosaurs roamed the earth alongside humans 4000 years ago. That, and global warming.

I also wish Cliff wasn't so easy on folks, but that's beside the point, because we aren't talking about him here.

Exactly, that right there is the paradox.

And as much as I like to see harmonious cooperation on here without people like Jay sharing his unique insight and knowledge and occasionally stirring things up from time to time we are less now than we were before.

Completely agree here.

When Jay posted that comparison between Axe I & II and nobody could guess which was which, I thought Cliff wouldn't like that. And when he said that his same 1024 IRs were used on the Axe II, instead of the 2048 IRs which according to the Axe II propaganda "smoke" the Axe I, I thought his days as a moderator here were coming to an end. Unfortunately, I wasn't wrong. Fractal Audio's attitude since the (in)famous countdown is getting closer and closer to some of its competitors.

Xavi,

Not arguing on the countdown thing, but:

Nowhere I've read that the 2048 IRs "smoke" the 1048 ones according to Fractal. Not on the site, not in the manual, not on the forum.
In fact Fractal stated this:
"Depends on the cab. Certain cabs benefit more than others. I started out with 8192 but didn't hear any difference so couldn't justify wasting all that space and CPU. You can hear it with room mics but the room simulation sounds nearly identical."
And:
"There are a couple reasons for 2048. Probably most important is that it allows 1024 in stereo mode. To be able to do stereo 1024 requires a 2048 convolution engine. Duh... Secondly, some IRs benefit from longer IRs. Better to have the ability and not need it than the converse. I don't do the hype thing and I take umbrage with anyone who accuses me of that."

Last edited:
I really should not have to point this out... but...

The way this thread is evolving is going to get it in trouble folks. Tread lightly.

Using this thread to rip on Jay or turn this into a Jay vs. Cliff debate isn't going to stand or fly, use your common sense and note the name on the top of the forum.

At it's most basic level, it's perfectly possible to not agree with someone or like someones personality but nonetheless like and respect their views and opinions. Kinda like your enemy at school, when all's said and done there will still always be things they are good at that like it or not you have to appreciate ;) I've worked with people I didnt always see eye to eye with but at the end of the day as long as we got the job done, in the bigger picture that's all that really matters isnt it ? Am sure his information is still readily available and if Jays ventures with the Axe FX line are over then the information he offered and shared can still be used. Since the Axe II is brand new it would be strange to compare it's infancy to it's fully grown predeccessor as I dont need to point out the tones on an Axe FX Ultra loaded with 11.0 sound a mile away from the earliest initial release recordings.

I would just like to know why Scott's avatar is so much bigger that everyone else's!!! ;-)

I tought Jay was funny! I loved he and joegold's rounds on here. Both are pretty smart guys and made for some intertaining reading...

I would just like to know why Scott's avatar is so much bigger that everyone else's!!! ;-)

I tought Jay was funny! I loved he and joegold's rounds on here. Both are pretty smart guys and made for some intertaining reading...

Yeah, Scott, what is with that? Are you compensating? :)

When Jay posted that comparison between Axe I & II and nobody could guess which was which, I thought Cliff wouldn't like that.
Xavi, first off let me say that I agree with you. However, I strongly suspect Cliff did not appreciate it, but not necessary so much because of the truth behind it. Any time you post a single clip which causes people to infer (without actually stating such) "see, you can't tell the difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 on this clip, therefore there is no difference" is just flat-out wrong unless you have sweeping measurements across all types of models and settings proving such. One clip doesn't prove jack to me except that you could get the same basic sound from two different sources. If I can get the same sound as a POD out of my Axe, does that make them somehow equal?

IMO, if you're a moderator on a specific company's forum, you should keep a tight lip about saying anything that paints the new product in a negative light unless it's to dispel flat-out hype and BS propagation, and I don't think that was the case here. I've often felt that Jay had a "I can get any sound I want from my Axe-Fx Standard using firmware 3.15, and it's your problem if you can't." I personally did not find this helpful at all.

Personally, I don't have Jay's level of underlying knowledge, much less the fancy speakers, so it's flat-out impossible for me to get the same end-result from my setup as he does. However, I am completely digging the Axe-Fx II, and *I* can get tones and feel out of it that *I* couldn't get out of my Axe-Fx I. Does it mean that it's impossible to get the same tones out of the Axe-Fx I? Who really cares?

Again, this is neither a "for him" or "against him" thread, just pointing out that I did take umbrage with that comparison thread for the reason that it seemed to make light of the new Gen II technology as if it were mostly fluff and packaging. I think what it did highlight was how awesome the Gen 1 product was, and still is, and that people shouldn't knee-jerk to buy the new product as if it's going to turn off their "suck" knob.

I'm sure he's itching to "come back"... forums that have good folks are like crack... it's just that Jay has quit cold turkey, at least when it comes to responding to this forum... There was a thread a couple of weeks (might have been this one) where they were talking about Jay and then he pm'd one of the guys in the conversation (javajunkie I believe), so I know he's at least reading the forums...

Jay, I know you're reading this... we miss ya bud... in the snack bowl that is this forum, there's always room for all kinds of nuts! (We're all a bit nuts if we spend most of our time on this forum!) *please be advised that I am only joking, and Jay's input was definitely welcome on this forum*

I've often felt that Jay had a "I can get any sound I want from my Axe-Fx Standard using firmware 3.15, and it's your problem if you can't." I personally did not find this helpful at all.

This is just the kind of representation of facts I think Jay helped reduce here.

Grossly unfair - IMHO.

This thread seems to care more about his departure than he ever likely will..

That is a good observation.

I guess there is the inevitable vane thinking by us forumites that he might miss us? :)

In my experience, there is a good measure of projecting yourself into others on forums... kinda goes with the territory... but a good idea to remember that... and check yourself now n then too.

- Richard

This is just the kind of representation of facts I think Jay helped reduce here.

Grossly unfair - IMHO.
How so? I prefaced with "I've often felt" and put a whole lot of "for me personally", "IMO" and the like just so it would be understood this is *my* perception. It was based on messages posted about previous firmware versions that came out. The introduction of the Gen II technology seemed to evoke a similar vein of response.

Besides, isn't our perception of Jay what this entire thread has centered around in the first place? Very few of us know the actual facts. Also, you treat this like I insulted him or made some personal attack. I have no problem with Jay, I'm only defending the position that not everything Jay said was actually helpful to others.

Sheesh.

I'm surprised it hasn't totally spiraled out of control. Considering other threads this one is quite tame.

Yup, that too... maybe it's just me but to have a thread regarding a person that isn't here to defend them self regardless of what has transpired doesn't seem right.

That's very true, but then again where else would you ask what happened, if you don't know?

Jens

Back
Top Bottom