We Lost a Long Time Moderator?

In my field most of us talk to each other like that so it never bothered me. It's not about the delivery but the content and if you can't get beyong that it's really tough to communicate with us. We get chastised all the time by other depts and I've been conditioned to be much nicer when I talk, but you get me in a group of "Jay's" and it just feels right to me. I have no explaination as to why we talk like we do, but it's part of the process.

If I ever need advice or put right on a theory you can call me a dumb **** if you want .... if the advice is sound and it cures my problem I'm happy! I really don't take insults or brusqueness seriously on a discussion board ..... no disrespect, but you are all just a bunch of words on a screen after all, not some mad axemen creeping out the woods coming to besiege my house.

I even think every internet forum can use a contributor like him to have more bias toward knowledge, facts and science vs. the all-too-common unsubstantiated personal opinion or snake oil presented as facts and science.

Sadly, so much is stated on the Internet as fact when it's really just hearsay. People will form opinions about something they've never tried based solely on what others have said. That's understandable, but it's important to establish that context when they subsequently share it. IMO, that happens too infrequently.

I agree. Finding a credible source of information, be it a website or an individual, is like finding a treasure.

Terry.

Jay was the truth cop here and his presence/future contributions will be sorely missed. He contributed to the most repected book in the audio industry and shared his knowledge freely too.
Handbook for Sound Engineers - Blackwell Bookshop Online

How many technical forums enjoy this kind of attention from people like this? What I saw was clear motivation to stop the spread of misinformation and nothing more. Errors were corrected and he left the stark facts behind for others to learn from. Some considered that rude - too bad. Who is really the jerk here - the guy that spews bullshit or the guy that cleans it up? Who's going to do that now?

Nobody likes being corrected and if Jay didn't sugar coat his response you likely didn't earn it. The way I see it, if Jay imposed potential fear to trolls and arsetalkers that's a darn good thing as it makes for a better forum overall. I rarely saw him engage with someone where he didn't first offer a benefit-of-doubt. If you failed at that and continued on with it he would take you to the cleaners. What do you expect - kid gloves from an old-schooler? If you have grown up in these times where the score isn't kept so feelings aren't hurt, you simply got some needed education.

I say thanks to Jay for his time and patience in helping those that can be helped.

They are (again generally) extremely details-oriented people and can drill down a subject to its lowest level. That's great. However, they sometimes (and please don't flame me because I know not ALL engineers are like this) they fail to grasp the larger picture because they drown in the details. The old expression 'tripping over dollars to pick up dimes' comes into play here. I can't count the number of times a meeting has gotten derailed by arguments over insignificant details and hurt feelings. Things get nasty quickly and people start sniping at each other.

As an engineer, I've worked with salespeople/managers who will commit anything, and technical details be damned. I've been called out for calling BS before. I think more often than not that's what Jay did, although he does have a knack for splitting hairs.

My point is that the best organizations I have consulted or worked for understand the different skill-sets (as can mitigate the deficiencies) that each functional group brings to the table. I have found that typically the best scenario is to pair a details-minded engineer with a globally-minded moderator that can diffuse a tense situation and get the discussion back on track. And that is what I ultimately hope could happen here. Because I see a strong need for Jay's expertise here on this forum. And would strongly appreciate his return as a technical expert.

Whole-hearted agreement here.

Seriously I don't think Jay is a bad guy. I asked a question once about his speakers and he answered with no sort of hostility. The guy knew what he was talking about. I'm not one to get in a slugfest anyways so maybe that's why I never got into an argument with him. I will miss his troll killing skillz.

Jay was the truth cop here and his presence/future contributions will be sorely missed. He contributed to the most repected book in the audio industry and shared his knowledge freely too.
Handbook for Sound Engineers - Blackwell Bookshop Online

How many technical forums enjoy this kind of attention from people like this? What I saw was clear motivation to stop the spread of misinformation and nothing more. Errors were corrected and he left the stark facts behind for others to learn from. Some considered that rude - too bad. Who is really the jerk here - the guy that spews bullshit or the guy that cleans it up? Who's going to do that now?

Nobody likes being corrected and if Jay didn't sugar coat his response you likely didn't earn it. The way I see it, if Jay imposed potential fear to trolls and arsetalkers that's a darn good thing as it makes for a better forum overall. I rarely saw him engage with someone where he didn't first offer a benefit-of-doubt. If you failed at that and continued on with it he would take you to the cleaners. What do you expect - kid gloves from an old-schooler? If you have grown up in these times where the score isn't kept so feelings aren't hurt, you simply got some needed education.

I say thanks to Jay for his time and patience in helping those that can be helped.

Very well put, completely agree.

If true, I find it exceptionally uncool for people to bag on a guy who can't defend himself.

Most aren't bagging him. Anyway a multiple page (and growing) thread is a pretty good indication of the man's legend. None of us is going to rate multiple pages when we leave a forum.

JWW

Most aren't bagging him. Anyway a multiple page (and growing) thread is a pretty good indication of the man's legend. None of us is going to rate multiple pages when we leave a forum.

JWW

If Jay is ultimately considered "legendary," it will be because of the way he presented himself, as much as his knowledge, and regardless of how much he contributed to the forum, there is no doubt he rubbed many the wrong way.
I, too, learned a lot from him.

JM Banned? - I'm shocked - He was a icon of this forum. I'll miss the entertainment of reading his threads and people's reactions to his "posting tone" (I took him on once about my belief that all things digital go the trash bin eventually when replaced by new versions - I had to back down after about 25 posts as I could not stand the heat! lol!). As indicated above, I'm not sure moderator was the best role for him but he definitely held a solid following here. I'm sad in a way because I felt from his posts that he had a great pride in his contribution here so I hope he is not hurt personally by being banned.

I hope he is not hurt personally by being banned.
I can't imagine he would not be hurt personally, it's a pretty personal thing. It's not like layoffs where 20% of the users got banned and he just happened to be one of them that was paid too much. If it was me, I would certainly be personally offended. I'm neither condoning nor condemning, just saying that it's pretty much impossible to not take anything personally that you've invested so much time into.

GOOD....glad he's gone!!

He once replied to a thread I started about having sponsored artists make/share patches.. .
...it was so unsupporting and a put down my efforts. I ALMOST reported/complained about him......Jeez, if a moderator thwarts your enthusiasm!

GOOD....glad he's gone!!

He once replied to a thread I started about having sponsored artists make/share patches.. .
...it was so unsupporting and a put down my efforts. I ALMOST reported/complained about him......Jeez, if a moderator thwarts your enthusiasm!

When you say "efforts" what exactly do you mean? Were you contacting artists and working with them to arrange a set of presets that could be made available? Or was your "effort" just a post suggesting that Fractal or somebody else make things happen?

i didn't much care for his patches or tact,but damn,he knows his stuff.he shared a wealth of information on this site and was always to the point.too bad.was he banned or not a moderator anymore?i guess whatever went down, went down.

Back
Top Bottom