We are building an Impulse response library called Soundwoofer

Soundwoofer

Hey guys, we believe in "sharing is caring", so we made a library where you can download thousands of free Impulse responses and even share your own.

We have three types of Impulses;

Standalone impulses - Simply select the file, give it a name and a nice description and you're set.

Impulse responses attached to a rig - Where you can construct your own rig and add the Impulses from it. It's a bit tedious compared to standalones but it if you check out that part of the library you will understand why it is a nice option.

Mixpulses - In addition to several normal Impulse responses, we have also released a series of "Mixpulses" that are combinations of several microphones (12!) into just one single file.

If you want to contribute to the library you can register an account here.

If you need help to get started with using Impulse responses, we made a guide for you here

Last edited:
We have received feedback about how useful it would be if the library was available for download as packs and we agree. So, therefore we have made two packs available. In order for you to get access to them we need something in return.

Pack one - Contains 350+ Impulses and can be found in your profile after you have logged in.

Pack two - Contains 1185 impulses and can be found in your profile after you have uploaded an Impulse of your own to the library.

Holy...shit.

Is there anyway we can convince/help you to upload your collection of IR:s to the library?

Shoot me an email Marcus@soundwoofer.com

Most of them are paid-for IR’s so I don’t want to upload those. I’ll sort through which ones I’ve picked up for free along the way and have no problem sharing those. I actually haven’t made a single IR of my own, however, it’s something I really want to do. I recently replaced the speakers in my 2x12 with WGS Retro 30’s and really dig them.

Most of them are paid-for IR’s so I don’t want to upload those. I’ll sort through which ones I’ve picked up for free along the way and have no problem sharing those. I actually haven’t made a single IR of my own, however, it’s something I really want to do. I recently replaced the speakers in my 2x12 with WGS Retro 30’s and really dig them.

Se would gladly help you out, give us a holler if you need anything.
Here is guide on how to record an impulse response

Hey guys, we just released a little tech-update you might enjoy. We added a detailed information page for the standalone impulses.

For example this Impulse response from an Mesa oversized 4x12
2020-02-21 (3).png

We added a waveform for each Impulse response in our library and now we also display the following information (if submitted in upload)

Cabinet
  • Brand
  • Model
  • Year

And;
  • Microphone used
  • Microphone position
  • Microphone distance

Not to be a pain, but how is that waveform plot useful? Certainly doesn't tell me much about how it sounds, but maybe I'm thick.

I'd think if you're going to try to express the response of an IR visually, a frequency response graph might be more useful, but I'm not sure that'd be super useful either. Gotta play it, with a variation of amps and settings.

Thanks for doing this, great resource. I'm not a likely user myself, no cabs, but still.

What are the pros and cons of sine vs pink noise?

Thanks for doing this, great resource. I'm not a likely user myself, no cabs, but still.

What are the pros and cons of sine vs pink noise?

The noise burst method is easier to perform.

The sine sweep method collects more data but is more sensitive to interference. (Longer collection period = bigger risk of a dog barking in the background for example)

Back
Top Bottom