WDW?

A WDW setup was very easy to build with the Axe-Fx 2.

The Axe-Fx 3 will let you build a WDW setup AND still have enough outputs left over to give you an extra FX loop, plus a dedicated stereo output just for the board.

edit: if you meant to create this thread in the Axe-Fx 2 forum and were asking how to do it... then to get more specific about the Axe-Fx 2, all you need to do is split the signal on the grid, drop whatever effects you want in the new signal path, then place the FX Loop block at the end of it. After that, Output 1 is your dry signal, and Output 2 is your wet signal.

Last edited:
A WDW setup was very easy to build with the Axe-Fx 2.

The Axe-Fx 3 will let you build a WDW setup AND still have enough outputs left over to give you an extra FX loop, plus a dedicated stereo output just for the board.

edit: if you meant to create this thread in the Axe-Fx 2 forum and were asking how to do it... then to get more specific about the Axe-Fx 2, all you need to do is split the signal on the grid, drop whatever effects you want in the new signal path, then place the FX Loop block at the end of it. After that, Output 1 is your dry signal, and Output 2 is your wet signal.

Sorry, new to the forum. If you want to run wetdrywet with the Axe FX you would need two power amps, correct?

I don’t really see a point of wdw becasue we can easy do parallel routing with any effect, so just run stereo and mix to taste

W.D. and wdw rigs are from a time when everything didn’t have mix controls and there was concerns over tone suck etc

Axe solves all those old issues

I don’t really see a point of wdw becasue we can easy do parallel routing with any effect, so just run stereo and mix to taste

W.D. and wdw rigs are from a time when everything didn’t have mix controls and there was concerns over tone suck etc

Axe solves all those old issues

stereo solves the problem of spatially positioning things if you're wearing headphones. otherwise the distance from each of your ears to the L and R speakers will be unequal, and the effect will be lost. this is why surround sound systems have a center channel.

yes, the practical benefit of w/d/w is debatable — any recordings will be mixed down to 2 channels, and the FOH system in any live performance will be out of my control — but It's a lot of fun to play with in my garage.

Sorry, new to the forum. If you want to run wetdrywet with the Axe FX you would need two power amps, correct?

Well, most power amps are stereo, or more accurately, dual mono. This means two independent signals. If you're running 3 signals out of your Axe-Fx, like you normally would with a W/D/W setup, then yes you'd need another poweramp to handle that 3rd signal. If you're running into powered monitors or a mixing board, then no you won't need another poweramp. But, if you're running signal to a guitar cab or other non-powered speakers, then yes you'll need more than one stereo poweramp.

Here's a tip though: You only really need (and that's a strong word here) true W/D/W if you're running all tube poweramps at volume so high that you're distorting the power tubes, but you also want extreme effect clarity. That is to say, if you're running FRFR speakers and not overdriving the FRFR power section, it's arguable that W/D/W will not sound different than stereo... as in your brain physically cannot perceive the difference. Personally, I have A/B'd two FRFR speakers in a stereo setup against three FRFR speakers in a W/D/W setup, and actually could not physically hear a difference. The mono image of a centrally panned amp in a stereo setup, to your brain, sounds identical to a middle-speaker speaker in a W/D/W setup outputting only an amp signal. And I say that with zero hyperbole or exaggeration.

To repeat, in a blindfold test at "loud TV" volume levels I literally could not hear a difference between a stereo setup with a center-panned amp, and a W/D/W setup with the amp only running through the center speaker.

The only reason you'd ever really want a W/D/W setup is if you're running a tube power section so loud that it's distorting and smearing the effects. If you're using an Axe-Fx into FRFR speakers, there's basically no reason to run a W/D/W setup other than the cool factor. Compared to a stereo setup of the same type, you'll get basically zero additional performance benefits out of it.

Last edited:
my current goal is to make my music room so I can go far beyond
WDW , and create a multichannel surround with various powered monitors/FRs and though it could all be done thru the III easily, integrating all my gear will be a fun challenge.

my current goal is to make my music room so I can go far beyond
WDW , and create a multichannel surround with various powered monitors/FRs and though it could all be done thru the III easily, integrating all my gear will be a fun challenge.
That is sick! Would love to hear that!

IMO, going w/d/w compared to regular stereo is WELL WORTH the effort! I run out1 with cab modeling and stereo effects to a pair of clrs spread wide, and then out2 with just the dry amp block feed to a power amp and a 4x12 in the center. The sound this produces is way more satisfying than just stereo! Would it be worth dragging extra gear to a gig? Of course not. Is it worth it at home? ABSOLUTELY!!!

Back
Top Bottom