Was there ever a consideration of different OS's for different types of players?

satan-front.png

:darts::trophy::checkeredflag::smilingimp::smilingimp::smilingimp::smilingimp::smilingimp:
Awesome, we could all play with a Randy Santa

No offense to the OP or anyone else, just thought the thread needed to lighten up.
Personally, I would love if Cliff would model the Edges #1 AC30.

Happy Holidays!

He could take 30 seconds, rename the amp model “Ac30 Edge” and I bet a lot of people would totally hear a difference and be thrilled at the cool “new” model.

If Cliff was an evil genius, instead of just a genius, I’m sure those are the types of fun little games he could pass his time playing with us lol.

Step back for a second guys, and think about this in Fractals shoes.

As existing customers, we are by definition open to tweaking and crafting sounds. That's pretty much a given.

I'm thinking about what could possibly attract new Fractal customers. It's getting harder by the day to argue tube tone vs modeling tone... the arguments these days are more in the "I don't want to spend days or weeks tweaking" camp. So I order the OS I want, plug in and play.

The plug n play types will always be that way. Even if tubes became non-existent tomorrow. Man i swear that some TGP guys would quit playing if this happened, rather than 'tweak'.

There's going to come a time in the near future where tube manufacturing is not profitable, and then it will be a mad scramble to get all these tube guys to buy your modeler, vs the competitions.

One factor you're not considering is that the hardware/product cost likely does not change.
I don't think there is any way to attract new customers just by having different flavors of firmware. The reaction of the 'non-owners' would be - "I still have to pay 2K+ and I only get metal amps?!"

I think to get the result you are suggesting, they could advertise and get the same impact:
Metal Players - you get: Recto, Diezel, etc.
Jazz Players - you get: Fender, AC30, etc.

I have a Kemper and I do like trying random amp profiles that I've never heard of.
But truth be told, I've never found anything that I couldn't recreate with one of the other 'common' amps found in the Axe.

Not that I would like to see some Randall and/or Wizard amps, but if I tweak one of the existing amps, I can always find something close.

This is really more a marketing issue than a product development issue. Agreed hardware, R&D (HUGE COST), advertising and the hundreds of monthly bills that come in are a constant in keeping businesses open. Right now, you have one product “the kitchen sink”. You get it all. If they made a “metal” only product with the same hardware, it’s not worth it to the end user. The amps are already modeled, the firmware written, the units built and shipped etc etc. you’ll get 1/8th of the Amps now for very little if any savings? I’m not seeing the wisdom in this at all.

This is really more a marketing issue than a product development issue. Agreed hardware, R&D (HUGE COST), advertising and the hundreds of monthly bills that come in are a constant in keeping businesses open. Right now, you have one product “the kitchen sink”. You get it all. If they made a “metal” only product with the same hardware, it’s not worth it to the end user. The amps are already modeled, the firmware written, the units built and shipped etc etc. you’ll get 1/8th of the Amps now for very little if any savings? I’m not seeing the wisdom in this at all.

What I'm saying is, the metal OS would sell for the same and have 200+ amps in that style. It would require modeling new amps. But as I said before, it would only make sense if it could result in new hardware sales. And most seem to think that would not happen.

Consider that the Axe-Fx has been around for over 10 years now, and since the beginning, new amps have always regularly been added. Very often people come here with a new idea of “hey add more amps” so it’s been asked for since day 1. Just some perspective. It’s a very, very common topic. If people searched the forum before posting, it’s all there, many threads with specific amp asks, and threads with mass asks as well. This topic is slightly different, but a concept that has come up as well.

Nothing against wishing, asking, and having ideas, but consider the reason for certain reactions.

I'm not a frequent reader/poster

Consider that the Axe-Fx has been around for over 10 years now, and since the beginning, new amps have always regularly been added. Very often people come here with a new idea of “hey add more amps” so it’s been asked for since day 1. Just some perspective. It’s a very, very common topic. If people searched the forum before posting, it’s all there, many threads with specific amp asks, and threads with mass asks as well. This topic is slightly different, but a concept that has come up as well.

Nothing against wishing, asking, and having ideas, but consider the reason for certain reactions.

Fractal hasn't modeled this one. :D

product_image.jpg

Don’t forget that we can make “amp pedals” from the pre-amp section of the amp block, then place that in front of another amp block for coolness/moar tone sculpting. I.E. Bogner amp pedal.
This sounds cool as hell, I hadn't even considered that.

For example, a metal focused install, a country/clean/jazz install, a boutique pedal focused install, a classic rock install?

I realize that in a particular genre, all amps become slight variations of one another... but... if I were a metal guy, as one example, there may be little use for a tweed or a twin or a Supro, but getting other esoteric metal amps would definitely be of interest...

I've been toying with getting a Kemper to go along with my axe, because I have truly unlimited amps to choose from.

If Fractal did what I am suggesting, don't you think it could open up the product to new customers?

Thoughts?

More SKUs = more stuff to maintain and support.

Just curious, what amp(s) are you wanting that produce a tone you can’t get with the Axe?

My question is purely hypothetical ... but yeah, having a Kemper and being able to try esoteric unobtanium type amps would be kinda cool. I've always wondered what a Mezzabarba sounds like.. or a Watkins Dominator... or the new Redplate Magica

They’d all sound like a Kemper model of a British amp trying to sound like those amps at particular settings. IOW, you still wouldn’t know. The Axe comes the closest of any modeler on the market at letting you try esoteric amps.

More SKUs = more stuff to maintain and support.

Just curious, what amp(s) are you wanting that produce a tone you can’t get with the Axe?

Need? None... want to explore? Tons...

Like I said, the question I posed doesn't even apply to me. I'm happy with my II and dont feel compelled to get a III.

I was posing it as a hypothetical way for Fractal to possibly attract more customers. If the 3rd party market is already doing that with preset packs, I guess that's similar, but there aren't enough metal amps modeled and delivered by Fractal to justify the $2500 investment.

I think its clear that this is not a priority for Fractal, so I consider this thread dead, Zed.

the earliest adopters of FAS gear were the metal heads (Tesseract), and the biggest metal bands today are using FAS rigs (Metallica, Def Leppard, Devin Townsend Project, Avenged Sevenfold, Megadeth, Deftones, etc etc. etc. etc. etc.). FAS has customers LMAO. The Axe-Fx III feels and looks like a piece of equipment you'd find in a hospital, if it were white instead of black. But if it were in a hospital, it would be a $10,000 piece of equipment. We get it for $2500 :openlock::checkeredflag::microscope::partypooper:

Back
Top Bottom