Was there a problem with any Fractal firmware updates that broke the internet?

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
Random question mostly for Cliff: was there an update in April that broke the internet? I've been trying to track down some ridiculous internet issues I've been having. Something apparently broke in April. I've tracked it down to the real possibility that it came from some application updates. I'm a beta tester for another pro audio product. That's probable but we have yet to figure it out. When I remove that driver the internet works, but this doesn't make any sense unless it conflicts with something else that broke. I installed Omnisphere. Had problems with that. There were several Fractal updates, including a firmware for the FC-12.

Just trying to track this down.

Random question mostly for Cliff: was there an update in April that broke the internet? I've been trying to track down some ridiculous internet issues I've been having. Something apparently broke in April. I've tracked it down to the real possibility that it came from some application updates. I'm a beta tester for another pro audio product. That's probable but we have yet to figure it out. When I remove that driver the internet works, but this doesn't make any sense unless it conflicts with something else that broke. I installed Omnisphere. Had problems with that. There were several Fractal updates, including a firmware for the FC-12.

No.

FWIW, you are required to post affiliations in your signature.

Yeah, but I have an NDA. I'm not a sales person. And it has nothing to do with guitar products.
"Effective immediately you MUST include any manufacturer affiliations in your signature line. If you are a beta tester, employee, representative or in any way affiliated with a company in the MI industry you need to disclose this. You will be given one week to comply. If we find out you have an affiliation and you do not disclose this you will receive a suspension. A second infraction will result in a permanent ban.

Affiliations must be clearly displayed. You may NOT alter the default text size or color. The TGP trick of making the text tiny and light gray is not acceptable here."

I’m sorry but I have to say this is all very silly.

If you remove some other driver and the problem goes away, how could it possibly be something you install on the Axe-Fx (and not your computer)??

How could an update that goes on the FC12 possibly affect the internet on your computer?

I am guessing the OP is a beta tester for another pro audio product due to domain expertise, not technical expertise.

As for the NDA, I am a software engineer and software architect. I have never encountered an NDA that forbade disclosure of affiliation. They usually cover confidential/proprietary information, etc.

An FC or Axe FX update to your PC is a non-executable file. It is merely data file from your PC perspective. Once copied to an Axe FX or FC the file is executable... on the device it was copied to. A firmware file represents a 0% risk to your PC.

What is “the driver” that causes the problem? A Fractal Driver or one from a different manufacturer?

As for the NDA, I am a software engineer and software architect. I have never encountered an NDA that forbade disclosure of affiliation. They usually cover confidential/proprietary information, etc.
It’s like the company itself is a secret? If that’s the case I’m pretty sure you can’t mention you’re a beta tester at all. Though I haven’t heard of either of those situations.

Your PC simply uploads the data, nothing more. It can no more break your internet connection than if you were to copy a file from your PC to a USB stick.

It’s like the company itself is a secret? If that’s the case I’m pretty sure you can’t mention you’re a beta tester at all. Though I haven’t heard of either of those situations.
The only time that disclosure of affiliation has been an issue in my career was when I worked on a highly classified software project for the government. Non disclosure was not handled via NDA, it was handled via classification. But even in that case, I was given a cover story (company name, project description, etc).

The only time that disclosure of affiliation has been an issue in my career was when I worked on a highly classified software project for the government. Non disclosure was not handled via NDA, it was handled via classification. But even in that case, I was given a cover story (company name, project description, etc).
This is not common for "stealth mode" startups here the valley. With NDAs to enforce compliance. Seems overkill in the music industry, but whatev...

I know a guy who fixes software issues for fighter pilots and helps design weapon systems. even HE is allowed to say who he works for.

What operating system are you using?
Mac Sierra, High Sierra and soon Mavericks. This has been an ongoing problem. I had at first thought I isolated it to my ISP. When I connected any computer, any of my three, to this modem in my studio, things stopped functioning on the internet. I have two independent ISP accounts and modems. When I hook any of those other computers to the other modem, things work perfectly. Ah. Problem isolated. I had Comcast, who denied there was an issue - it took FOUR VISITS - until I showed this to them. New modem. It worked for about a day before it started failing again. Then I tried removing the driver. NO ONE had reported this as a problem. I tend to be the odd corner case guy.

The developer is a guy much like Cliff. He codes everything himself. We've looked at everything. He understands that the driver seems to be the issues but can't see any cause. Now it's in public beta - so I can probably say - but ONE person reported this on an audio forum. So the developer asked what other things I have installed in April. We took a look. He thought perhaps there's something in his code that is conflicting with something else. Omnisphere and a few random things.

Firmware, yes. But was there a driver installed? I don't remember.

Back
Top Bottom