Was the Blackglass 7k changed?

aravind

I recently updated to 12.7 and the blackglass 7k model no longer has a tone control. The basic tab now shows bass, mid, mid freq and treble which are linked with the values in the tone tab. There is a high cut dial in the tone tab but I'm not sure how that relates to the tone knob (attack knob on the original b7k). This is all kinda confusing and I'm not sure how to use this new variant. I'm not sure when this change was made either

Came here looking for an answer too, as I've just got my Axe-Fx III (upgraded from an Ultra) and would like to use the B7K for bass as well.

I've read over the Yek's post about it and seemed like it made more sense at the time when the B7K dropped for the Axe-Fx than it does now. For instance: no tone knob (as you noted), Graphic EQ parameters (substituting knobs on the actual pedal) for the Low, Mid-Low, Mid-High (no 2.8kHz), and Treble (no 5kHz) don't align with the actual pedal. The Grunt switch, I get with the Low Cut as that's even more control than the original pedal.

I genuinely appreciate the ability to change the boosted Mid Frequency to wherever I'd like it, but like yourself, I'm a bit lost. I guess what I would like to know is:

• What is the frequency range of the bass, mid, and treble on the Basic Tab?
  • Is using the Graphic EQ Tab the most accurate way to dial in sounds similar to the pedal even though their values are different?
  • How do I simulate the Attack Switch on the pedal now that there's no tone knob in the current layout? Should I just create a high shelf using the Graphic EQ Tab for that as well?

* Apologies if this has been answered before in another place. I'm new here, but am more than willing to redirect elsewhere for information.

Are you using the authentic or ideal view for amp controls? It could be the those missing controls were only shown in ideal mode and now it's showing authentic controls.

I may just be missing that all together. I know within the amp parameters there’s a tab for either authentic or ideal, but I was unaware there was one for the drive block too.

I don’t recall seeing one (within the drive block), but I could’ve flat out missed it by assuming there wasn’t one. I know under my Global Settings (either that or I/O) I have it set to authentic, so I’ll give that a change and see what happens.

Regardless, I’ll give it a look and I appreciate the feedback and help.

Last edited:
Improved Compressor block. The RMS detector type has been improved resulting in smoother decay. The Auto Attack/Release algorithm has been improved resulting in less “chatter” when using low attack and/or release times. The Tube Compressor and Analog Compressor types now support RMS+Peak detector mode. A new knee shape algorithm in the Studio Compressor has been implemented resulting in a more musical tangential response like that of classic analog compressors.

Improved Downward Expander in Gate block. The RMS detector type has been improved resulting in smoother decay. Added Detector Type parameter which allows selecting between RMS (default) and Peak types.

Improved Multiband Compressor based on improvements to Compressor block. Added Auto Attack/Release mode.

Improved Astable LFO type so that adjustments to Beta, which can occur when changing channels, do not cause “baseline wander”.

FC: When navigating the editor or front panel, certain screens will no longer reset the value used by external modifiers for FC Pedals.

There were no changes to the drive block in 12.07

Not enough information to comment without a lot of work.

OP didn't state which FW he came from before 12.07, so we don't know the range of FW to consider.
I didn't use the darkglass pedal until 12.07 so unfortunately I have no idea what the range would be to consider. Partly why I asked this question here in the first place

I didn't use the darkglass pedal until 12.07 so unfortunately I have no idea what the range would be to consider. Partly why I asked this question here in the first place
Your OP says you upgraded to 12.07 and then noticed it no longer has a Tone control. That would imply that you noticed it HAD one before that.

Am I not understanding?

Your OP says you upgraded to 12.07 and then noticed it no longer has a Tone control. That would imply that you noticed it HAD one before that.

Am I not understanding?
Well I used the axe fx 2 version. I don't remember the firmware number was quantum 9 iirc. Was referring to how yek's writeup said it had a tone control

Well I used the axe fx 2 version. I don't remember the firmware number was quantum 9 iirc. Was referring to how yek's writeup said it had a tone control
Those are important details to share. ;)

The Axe Fx III Drive block has been fully revamped.

I checked in @yek's new guide and compared to the old version. The new version says:

The Attack switch controls a shelving filter on the input
(use High Cut in the model).

Both versions are here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ractal-audio-drive-models.148573/post-1758987

Those are important details to share. ;)

The Axe Fx III Drive block has been fully revamped.

I checked in @yek's new and compared to the old version. The new version says:

Both versions are here:

Thanks! I was going off of this writeup. Didn't even know about the other one.
I was going to paste it but apparently the word gu*de is causing the anti spam filter to act up.

Back
Top Bottom