Was headed towards Strymon but the $$ are adding up

It should be noted that since the FX8 was created, there have been many improvements to our products in this area.
Axe-Fx III and FM3 owners should be able to attest to the fact that levels are easier to control -- and require less knowledge to get right. There are new meters, new default settings, and new tools to make leveling easier.
So would the FM3 be an improvement over my FX8? I'm using the drives and effects all infront of the amp becuase I do not have an effects loop. I do wish I had more then 8 blocks. I'm using a wah, 2 drives, 2 delays, reverb, that's six so I can only add two more effects to my main preset. That's probably enough but I would like rotary, chorus, flanger, tremelo, pitch shift available without changing presets. I will not use amp modeling and can sim

So would the FM3 be an improvement over my FX8? I'm using the drives and effects all infront of the amp becuase I do not have an effects loop. I do wish I had more then 8 blocks. I'm using a wah, 2 drives, 2 delays, reverb, that's six so I can only add two more effects to my main preset. That's probably enough but I would like rotary, chorus, flanger, tremelo, pitch shift available without changing presets. I will not use amp modeling and can sim

I would recommend reading the manual and seeing if it will do what you need it to do.

In 2018, I decided to go back to a traditional amp set up, and thanks to Fractal’s Friedman models, I landed a BE-50 Deluxe right after Christmas. But, what to do with effects.

Until recently, my board layout was:
Guitar > Shure Wireless > ST-200 tuner > VFE Enterprise phaser > Suhr Koko Reloaded > Suhr Eclipse > Timmy > amp. In the effects loop of the amp, Cmatmods Analog Chorus > Strymon Orbit Flanger > Strymon Dig > Mad Professor Kosmos.

With the new amp, I pulled the Suhr pedals off the board. I also recently picked up a Strymon Timeline, but I’ve come to realize that I’ll need to upgrade the power supply. I’m also starting to look at the Mobius and finally going with one of the Boss ES switchers. And of course, patch cables.

Needless to say, it’s starting to add up and I wonder if it’s worth it compared to picking up an FX8. I’m confident that the FX8 will more than handle my bar band rock covers needs. But I’d been thinking this is “obsolete” gear. Now I’m starting to look at the Strymon gear, thinking while it’s great too, the Mobius and Timeline aren’t exactly the latest thing to come along either.

So here I am, leaning heavily back towards the Fractal camp. Pros are numerous: compact, lack of interconnects should mean quiet, more effects than I believe I’ll ever need, but ones I may use that I probably wouldn’t buy otherwise (harmonizer, wah, trem). Ability to create scenes/presets. Setting level equity between effects I believe is built in.

I’ll be running this in 4CM mode, but have one functional question, can the FX8 relays switch between the clean, BE and HBE channels?

For example, if I want to create a preset with:
a scene for clean channel/chorus/light delay
a scene with BE Ch/short delay
a scene for BE with 600ms delay
is that possible right out of the box? and how steep the learning curve to do this?

Finally, would you have any hesitation going the route I’m thinking, or would you go Helix or other? Pretty sure I know what answer to expect, but figured I’d ask.

I don’t know if any of this would be possible with 4CM with an AX8 or FM3, but I guess that would be good to know before I leap. While I’m not interested in the amp modeling side, it does offer immediate backup amp protection, so I’d have that going for me.

Thanks everyone

George
All I have to say is WHY!!!!!! Why is the FX8 discontinued? The concept is perfect. A complete multi effect unit without modeling and it sounds great.
I do have an AX8 and the FX8. Since I've gone back to the high end tube amps, with the FX8 I can have virtually any pedal board I want with all the worlds best effects that doesn't require a huge pedal board that needs a 2 man lift.
I get modelling is the in thing these days but for those who want the same quality equipment without the amp modelling the FX8 is the tip of the iceberg. Why didn't they run with it? The FX8 is the perfect multi effects unit. I will put my (dinosaur vintage & discontinued) FX8 running through my Cameron amp up against any rig out there tone wise.
Sorry rant over...lol
but to answer your question, yes it can switch channels within a preset. Out of the box? like all the other fractal devices there is a learning curve and usually more than one way to manipulate things. Once you know how it works the possibilities are almost endless. The FX8 is a great unit.
Just my 2 cents...

Back
Top Bottom