Was all set to buy a Mesa MarkV but now I'm afraid

randombastage

Experienced
I decided to do a little research here and found a thread where the following link was put up:
http://mesaboogie.com/news/2010/12/video-john-petrucci-mark-v-settings-and-tone-tips/
So I watched the video, did some tweaking and now I have four new presets, one clean and three crunchy and I think the MarkV would sound a little better if it were here in the room....I mean certainly it should right?....but what if it doesn't? that's a lot of cash to throw away on a redundant piece of gear!

Curse you Cliff and your damned AxeFx!! You are spoiling my gearslut ways!!

Hmmm....maybe a Suhr Modern, I've always wanted a nice guitar....

Pretty much immediately after I bought my Axe I sold about £8k worth of amps and bought a bunch of new guitars.
It is a good thing. :)

I know. I haven't GAS'd for an amp in 2 years now....well...I've GAS'd for one but never ended up buying one thanks to the axe.

I sold my MarkV after I got the Axe Ultra. No regrets. I was tired of trying to get the sweet sound out of it at home levels. I sold all my gear except for a V30 4x12 cab that I use a tube power amp to drive.

Coupled with one Atomic active cab I have the best of "in the room" and FRFR sound. It works great for me.

What you're hearing is a close-miked amp with no effects and no "room" mic. You're not hearing it the same way he's hearing it. You're not hearing it the same way it would sound in a concert or on an album. Mesa had the balls to release these videos as they were. The amp sounds much better than that in the room, and I'm not even John Petrucci.

What you're hearing is a close-miked amp with no effects and no "room" mic. You're not hearing it the same way he's hearing it. You're not hearing it the same way it would sound in a concert or on an album. Mesa had the balls to release these videos as they were. The amp sounds much better than that in the room, and I'm not even John Petrucci.

Yea, I was being kind of hyperbolic with my questioning if the real amp would sound better if it was in the room. It was just a way to express how satisfying it is to be able to dial in different amp sounds that I hear. The proof is, I'm buying a Mark V even though I've never been happier with the sounds I'm getting from the AxeFx...my guess is I'll have the AxeFx running in 4 cable mode with the Mv and use it for effects only about half the time and if the Mv is cooperative with letting the AxeFx take over the power section via the effects return the other half of the time will be all AxeFx front end playing through the Mesa power section.

For recording direct I've never found anything that comes close to replacing the AxeFx but I'm hoping that once I get through the exploration phase with the Mv I'll have a half dozen main go-to-sounds on the Mv that will allow me to stop endlessly tweaking for different cab/tonestack/etc. etc. like I do now with the AxeFx. The variety of Mesa sounds have always dominated my top ten favorite guitar amp sounds so now, paired with the AxeFx and the MFC-101, I'm anticipating more playing and less tweaking. Trying to recreate all the possibilities in the Mv on the AxeFx was going to consume all my time and the results would always leave me wondering...now I'll know for sure.

Last edited:
The proof is, I'm buying a Mark V even though I've never been happier with the sounds I'm getting from the AxeFx....For recording direct I've never found anything that comes close to replacing the AxeFx but I'm hoping that once I get through the exploration phase with the Mv I'll have three or four main go-to-sounds on the Mv that will allow me to stop endlessly tweaking for different cab/tonestack/etc. etc. like I do now with the AxeFx.

Same reason i bought a Vox..loved the Ax version so much!! Hoping the new Kemper will sort out less amp tweaking along with the Ax for effects!!

Back
Top Bottom