.. Was about to order the axe II when

Mr.RangoTango

Experienced
A guy from facebook said that he had an ultra for 1388 dollars. The II is around 3000 dollars here in Denmark. Okay why should I buy the II instead of the ultra? I mean its ALOT of money to spend an upgrade. Please post your inputs. Thanks

Jakob
Denmark

I've been going back and forth with the same question, but for me here in the US, it's a $1000 difference. For my case, I want the FX solely as an FX processor but with later intention to use it's modeling features. From what people have said, the II is far much better than the Ultra in so many ways. I just know if I get the Ultra I will always be wondering what I would have missed not getting the FX2... So, I think I'm just gonna go with the FX2 so I'm not going to be second guessing my decision and then knowing I got the best out there....

Even so, I know regardless of what system, there is going to be a huge learning curve for me but that's OK. I think it will be fun learning this a I go along. The one MOST comforting thing is fractal has great customer service and this board is filled with knowledge and with people willing to share their experience. If I was left out in the dark with this box and with no help, I might not be considering this awesome unit.

joe...

For me personally, the headphone jack and USB connection are essential to my setup but everyone is going to be different.

As with any gear, you have to ask yourself if you will end up wanting the Axe-FX II down the road. If you won't crave it, then the Ultra is the way to go. If you think you'll regret not getting it, then just pay the extra $1000. Otherwise you'll end up losing money down the road when you do get one.

IMHO, you should not consider the Ultra unless you are really trying to save money. It was the first of its kind and fantastic sounding, but the II is well worth the additional $$$.

A guy from facebook said that he had an ultra for 1388 dollars. The II is around 3000 dollars here in Denmark. Okay why should I buy the II instead of the ultra? I mean its ALOT of money to spend an upgrade. Please post your inputs. Thanks

Jakob
Denmark

Hi Jakob,

I was in the same position a while back. A guy about 15 miles from me was selling his Ultra. I'd seen Steve Vai and Adrian Belew using Ultra's back then and they sounded great. So there's no doubt you could get still some great sounds out of it. I decided to go with the Axe FXII and I'm glad I did. The main reason is the Axe FXII has twice the processing power as the Ultra and you won't won't hit the CPU wall as fast when building presets. Also, there are constant firmware upgrades for the Axe FXII that just keep improving an already great product.

Hi Jakob,

I was in the same position a while back. A guy about 15 miles from me was selling his Ultra. I'd seen Steve Vai and Adrian Belew using Ultra's back then and they sounded great. So there's no doubt you could get still some great sounds out of it. I decided to go with the Axe FXII and I'm glad I did. The main reason is the Axe FXII has twice the processing power as the Ultra and you won't won't hit the CPU wall as fast when building presets. Also, there are constant firmware upgrades for the Axe FXII that just keep improving an already great product.

Just a side note as Steve Vai does not use the Axe for "tone", he's exclusive to Carvin for amplification. He does however use the Axe for effects.

Not sure other than the 2 goes to 11.

Jakob
Denmark

- Amp tone & feel, also taper of the parameters have noticable improved to a much higher grade of accuracy.
- One CPU only for Effects, the other calculate the two Amp Sims. This free up a huge amount CPU Power for more Effect-Blocks in your virtual Pedalboard (Ultra just one CPU)
- X/Y function (only Axe-II) is fully MIDI controlable. In fact this could double the amount of switchable effects on your virtual pedalboard, can be used for A/Bing things and more ... (imagine 4 switchable Amp channels in one preset ....) , i won`t miss that!
- SCENES function (only Axe-II), it`s like a progammable MIDI Switching system for all the effects on your "board", i won`t miss that!
- 100 nameable User Cab Blocks in the II vs. 10 unnamable in the Ultra. More and better Factory Cab IRs.
- Tonematching, IR-capture tool, bigger display, 10 "global Blocks" for every FX-Block type, Headphone-jack, Quick controls ...

In one word: The Axe-II is not just an "upgrade". It`s with it`s Firmware updates in the meanwhile a totally different league & on a much higher level than the Ultra. IMHO

It also depends on how you're going to use the Axe-Fx. The Ultra might be enough if you only used it in the FX-loop of an amplifier, but I'd highly recommend the II if you were going to replace your whole equipment with the Axe-Fx, especially amps.

Don't do it! Buy the II or You will bite yourself forever!
This is NOT like when you buy the newest TV which is only a new case with one new knob!
I live in Sweden and bought from G66!
Lot of money yes, but in the context no!
Very cheap when you realise what you get.

Buy the right thing the first time and you won't have to replace it. The axe II is well worth the difference.

The II is 2349 euro in Denmark as well as the rest of EU.
The Ultra you might get for 14-1500 euro. If you can even find one.

The II is in constant improvement, the Ultra is not.
The II will have waranty, the Ultra probably wont.
It really all comes down to what YOU need, but I would pick the II :)

Both are amazing products.

Last edited:
Hej Jakob

Jeg kender godt nok ikke Ultra men har haft en IIer i et halvt års tid, og den er super fed. Jeg bor i Randers og du er velkommen til at komme og prøve den inden du beslutter dig.

Søren

Sorry guys

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WEEEE Jacob

Så er der altså nogle stykker her i good old Denmark.. Bor selv i Viborg.....

Mht spørgsmålet. Hvis det er en du køber udenfor europa skal du lægge moms på 25 % oveni.

AXEII er en bedre på flere punkter. Det vigtigste er dog, tror jeg de nye , flere og bedre muligheder for at lave dine egne IR(kabinetter) eller købe nogen af de færdiglavede.(Der er også bedre og flere fra fabrikken)

Der er også flere og bedre amp simuleringer. Super Reverb er en af mine favoritter. Men der er mange, der lyder fedt.

Du kan da godt vælge en Ultra. Den er bestemt ikke ringe. Der er bare mindre af det hele....

Hvis du vil snakke mere kan du finde mig på facebook.com/bendtaaen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAEN

Reactions: Ole
Okay thanks Alot for all the fine replies! I'm most def convinced now :-D

Og mange tak for tilbudet Søren og Bendt, men jeg br sku Rødovre så det bliver godt nok lidt af en køretur!

late to the party, but unless money is a real concern, go with what you have already decided.
this has happened to me before on gear:
- set out to buy A,
- B comes along and i thought i could live with it,
- bought B but kept yearning for A
- sell B at a loss
- buy A

Well that's a shitty agenda. I Think i have decided!

late to the party, but unless money is a real concern, go with what you have already decided.
this has happened to me before on gear:
- set out to buy A,
- B comes along and i thought i could live with it,
- bought B but kept yearning for A
- sell B at a loss
- buy A

Back
Top Bottom