Warranty coverage

tcarnes68

Inspired
What is covered under the warranty on the fractal stuff? How is the tech/repair dept here? Anyone ever had any issues with having to have anything repaired or covered?

I had an LED issue on an FX8. I was given the techs personal number and was in the area on a weekend, wherein they fixed it on a saturday.

If you're in the warranty period, you should be fine.

The best thing I can say is that in gigging Axe Fx units for 10 years, indoors and out in all sorts of temps, I’ve never had a failure or need to return a unit for service. If you check the support page of the home web site, there are testimonials. When I’ve had a question, I’ve never had a problem getting a human on the phone to discuss it. Lastly, this forum comes with the package, and is an incredible “support” value that never expires.

Page 108 of the manual:

WARRANTY

Fractal Audio Systems warrants that your new Fractal Audio Systems product shall be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase. During the warranty period, Fractal Audio Systems shall, at its sole option, either repair or replace any product that proves to be defective upon inspection by Fractal Audio Systems. Fractal Audio Systems reserves the right to update any unit returned for repair and to change or improve the design of the product at any time without notice. Fractal Audio Systems reserves the right to use reconditioned parts and assemblies as warranty replacements for authorized repairs. This warranty is extended to the original retail purchaser for units purchased directly from Fractal Audio Systems or one of its authorized distributors or resellers.

This is your sole warranty. Fractal Audio Systems does not authorize any third party, including any dealer or sales representative, to assume any liability on behalf of Fractal Audio Systems or to make any warranty for Fractal Audio Systems. Fractal Audio Systems may, at its option, require proof of original purchase date in the form of a dated copy of original authorized dealer’s invoice or sales receipt. Service and repairs of Fractal Audio Systems products are to be performed only at the Fractal Audio Systems factory or a Fractal Audio Systems authorized service center. Fractal Audio Systems may require advanced authorization of repairs to authorized service centers. Unauthorized service, repair or modification will void this warranty.

DISCLAIMER AND LIMITATION OF WARRANTY

THE FOREGOING WARRANTY IS THE ONLY WARRANTY GIVEN BY FRACTAL AUDIO SYSTEMS AND IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES. ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, EXCEEDING THE SPECIFIC PROVISIONS OF THIS WARRANTY ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED AND EXCLUDED FROM THIS WARRANTY. UPON EXPIRATION OF THE APPLICABLE EXPRESS WARRANTY PERIOD (1 YEAR), FRACTAL AUDIO SYSTEMS SHALL HAVE NO FURTHER WARRANTY OBLIGATION OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. FRACTAL AUDIO SYSTEMS SHALL IN NO EVENT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES SUFFERED BY THE PURCHASER OR ANY THIRD PARTY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS OR BUSINESS, OR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCT, WHETHER IN CONTRACT OR IN TORT. FRACTAL AUDIO SYSTEMS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSES, CLAIMS, OR SUITS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO ANY OF THE FOREGOING.

Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties so some of the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary, from state to state. This warranty only applies to products sold and used in the USA and Canada. Fractal Audio Systems shall not be liable for damages or loss resulting from the negligent or intentional acts of the shipper or its contracted affiliates. You should contact the shipper for proper claims procedures in the event of damage or loss resulting from shipment.

The best thing I can say is that in gigging Axe Fx units for 10 years, indoors and out in all sorts of temps, I’ve never had a failure or need to return a unit for service. If you check the support page of the home web site, there are testimonials. When I’ve had a question, I’ve never had a problem getting a human on the phone to discuss it. Lastly, this forum comes with the package, and is an incredible “support” value that never expires.

Page 108 of the manual:

WARRANTY

Fractal Audio Systems warrants that your new Fractal Audio Systems product shall be free of defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase. During the warranty period, Fractal Audio Systems shall, at its sole option, either repair or replace any product that proves to be defective upon inspection by Fractal Audio Systems. Fractal Audio Systems reserves the right to update any unit returned for repair and to change or improve the design of the product at any time without notice. Fractal Audio Systems reserves the right to use reconditioned parts and assemblies as warranty replacements for authorized repairs. This warranty is extended to the original retail purchaser for units purchased directly from Fractal Audio Systems or one of its authorized distributors or resellers.

This is your sole warranty. Fractal Audio Systems does not authorize any third party, including any dealer or sales representative, to assume any liability on behalf of Fractal Audio Systems or to make any warranty for Fractal Audio Systems. Fractal Audio Systems may, at its option, require proof of original purchase date in the form of a dated copy of original authorized dealer’s invoice or sales receipt. Service and repairs of Fractal Audio Systems products are to be performed only at the Fractal Audio Systems factory or a Fractal Audio Systems authorized service center. Fractal Audio Systems may require advanced authorization of repairs to authorized service centers. Unauthorized service, repair or modification will void this warranty.

DISCLAIMER AND LIMITATION OF WARRANTY

THE FOREGOING WARRANTY IS THE ONLY WARRANTY GIVEN BY FRACTAL AUDIO SYSTEMS AND IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES. ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, EXCEEDING THE SPECIFIC PROVISIONS OF THIS WARRANTY ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED AND EXCLUDED FROM THIS WARRANTY. UPON EXPIRATION OF THE APPLICABLE EXPRESS WARRANTY PERIOD (1 YEAR), FRACTAL AUDIO SYSTEMS SHALL HAVE NO FURTHER WARRANTY OBLIGATION OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. FRACTAL AUDIO SYSTEMS SHALL IN NO EVENT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES SUFFERED BY THE PURCHASER OR ANY THIRD PARTY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS OR BUSINESS, OR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE PRODUCT, WHETHER IN CONTRACT OR IN TORT. FRACTAL AUDIO SYSTEMS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSES, CLAIMS, OR SUITS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO ANY OF THE FOREGOING.

Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties so some of the above limitations and exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary, from state to state. This warranty only applies to products sold and used in the USA and Canada. Fractal Audio Systems shall not be liable for damages or loss resulting from the negligent or intentional acts of the shipper or its contracted affiliates. You should contact the shipper for proper claims procedures in the event of damage or loss resulting from shipment.
I guess I’m wondering also about the fact that it’s a non transferable warranty if I was to not get a new one. Is the warranty only for the original purchaser or the original regester’er??? Meaning if a guy bought one and sold it like they are doing now and he didn’t register the warranty does that allow the next purchaser the option to have the warranty?

I guess I’m wondering also about the fact that it’s a non transferable warranty if I was to not get a new one. Is the warranty only for the original purchaser or the original regester’er??? Meaning if a guy bought one and sold it like they are doing now and he didn’t register the warranty does that allow the next purchaser the option to have the warranty?
The warranty is tied to the purchaser. There is no "registration"...

As others have noted, in the US the warranty is to the original owner only. This is true of most electronics or musical instruments here, though there are some where the warranty transfers. It’s an advantage of buying new, and the reason I’ve never purchased a used Fractal item that was available new… normally there’s only a couple of hundred dollars difference in price, and the warranty (along with not having to worry about what the previous owner may have exposed the unit to) is worth that cost to me.

There is an option to extend the warranty at purchase to three years for $229. I’ve never done that, but would if I were a touring musician rather than a regional player.

I got my Axe III from a scalper before they were widely available. I discussed the Warranty situation with the seller; essentially I would have to have him submit any warranty work since I, as the "second owner" (even though it was new in box) had zero warranty coverage. Luckily - and as I expected - I've had zero problems in the 3 years I've owned it.

First time ever I had an issue with my FC12 not working last night. It was an easy fix, but - just for just a second there - I envisioned hundreds of bucks flying out of my bank account for it.. then I remembered it was a Fractal stuff. ...Had there been an issue I couldn't solve they would have taken care of it and treated me fairly even though that footswitch is WAY out of warranty.

That's the thing with smaller family businesses. If you get a good one, they care about what they do and how they do it, and they Will take care of you and treat you fairly. And by all reports, and from everything I have experienced contacting them with product questions to seeing how they deal with issues here, on this forum, and how they take care of people who do find the occasional issue? ...I don't worry about warranty type stuff when it comes to these guys.

Pre-purchase consideration is that Fractal stuff is built to take professional levels of abuse. It's touring quality stuff. And they are right there for people if something slides sideways. But buying used is always a risk, the unit could have fallen into somebody's bathtub (for example), so, gotta be reasonable about the reasons for non-transferrable warranties, or for paying a little more for the same unit in places where transferable warranties are mandated.

Fractal stuff isn't cheap. It's generally considered a long-term investment. For as much as used Fractal stuff can sell for? ...it might offer peace of mind to spend a few more bucks on new stuff with that initial warranty..

I didn't buy the extended warranty when I ordered my Axe FX III. Now I'm thinking I should have. Can I do it after the unit is in my possession? Only had it for a few months. I know Fractal is rock solid but not having to worry for 3 years is worth the cost to me.

You have one year to purchase it. From the warranty description:

“You must purchase the extended warranty within one calendar year of the original product purchase”

I've had to send in my FM3 twice for service even though it lives at home and I never use it live like my Axe-FX III. Once for a failed encoder button, most recently for complete loss of USB functionality. Both times I had to pay for shipping both ways and labor for the repair. Not thrilled about that but thankfully I've had no problems with my Axe-FX III.

Last edited:
I ended up buying the extended warranty before the first year ran out. It says 3 years. I'm assuming that it's 3 years from the date I bought the new warranty, not from original purchase date, correct?

I ended up buying the extended warranty before the first year ran out. It says 3 years. I'm assuming that it's 3 years from the date I bought the new warranty, not from original purchase date, correct?
Correct. From the purchase page:

The extended warranty is subject to the same terms as your original warranty except for the fact that it extends to cover three years from the original purchase date of your product (NOT three years from the purchase date of extended coverage.)

FWIW — in most cases, the reason for having a non-transferable warranty is a manufacturers’ desire to discourage “two-stepping” (flipping) of their product from an authorized dealer to an unauthorized reseller (often outside of the authorized dealers’ territory). Helps to maintain quality dealers/distributors within a territory.

In Germany you get 3 years warranty when you buy it (2 years by law). 3 years is often standard here.
I think someting needs to be changed in the US. But in Germany it's more expensive I think (gross/net/taxes/customs?).

Back
Top Bottom