WARM Audio? (studio gear)

I've got the WA76 and the TB12. Both are stellar units. The Tone Beast is a great sounding preamp (API-ish) with quite a few ways to color up the sound if you desire, and the WA76 does what it's supposed to do. Sounds like an 1176 for FAR less money than buying the real McCoy. I've got it connected at the insert point on the TB12 currently, and I'm very happy with that setup. I honestly have only used them during tracking so far, but have been thinking about utilizing them for mixing as well. But like you said, there's some great plugins out there. And I have no issue staying in the box for mixing. IMHO, the Warm Audio stuff is well worth a look.

Thanks. Great reviews elsewhere too.

From their website.. the company is one guy designing hardware based on classic circuits and having them manufactured in relatively large quantities to keep costs down. Low overhead, they don't advertise and instead rely on word of mouth and social media to spread the word.. which happens due to great quality and low price. My thread here seems to be an example.

I'd be a buyer.. except I keep thinking Fractal will eventually announce a digital studio preamp / channel strip / FX product that would kill over this.

I tried the WA 76 shortly in my studio, really liked it and found it to be on par with the "real 1176's" that I've tried - admittedly based on memory and not on a real A/B.
You can definitely hear the Cinemac transformers doing their thing to the signal and the build quality seems right too.
So for someone looking for a classic studio hardware compressor I'd definitely recommend them to check the WA 76 out for themselves - it's a killer unit and the price is more than right.

In the end though I returned it as I didn't find that the WA 76 really made a difference for the better compared to the plug-ins I use (Slate, Waves, Metric Halo, Flux and Logic - the first two have 1176 clones), and furthermore the plug-ins allows me to keep the mixing ITB and to use all the instances of a comp - like the Slate 1176 model - I need in a mix.
These days I stay almost totally ITB for mixing exept for using my trusty TC 2290 delay and some of the fx's in the Axe Fx.

Thanks. Great reviews elsewhere too.

From their website.. the company is one guy designing hardware based on classic circuits and having them manufactured in relatively large quantities to keep costs down. Low overhead, they don't advertise and instead rely on word of mouth and social media to spread the word.. which happens due to great quality and low price. My thread here seems to be an example.

I'd be a buyer.. except I keep thinking Fractal will eventually announce a digital studio preamp / channel strip / FX product that would kill over this.

If Fractal were to put out something like the Focusrite Liquid Channel, and were to do it at Fractal levels of quality, I'd be on it like white on rice. Until then, I can dream. Lol I do love my Warm Audio gear though, and will continue to recommend it to everyone. Same as I do with the Axe-Fx.

If Fractal were to put out something like the Focusrite Liquid Channel, and were to do it at Fractal levels of quality, I'd be on it like white on rice. Until then, I can dream. Lol I do love my Warm Audio gear though, and will continue to recommend it to everyone. Same as I do with the Axe-Fx.

I have no doubt Fractal could make an incredible channel strip if they wanted to. Hardware or just software plugins. But guitarists are probably a way bigger market.

Everything is moving more into plugins though, it's what users want and today's PCs are so powerful they no longer need external DSP like that Liquid Channel. I assume that's why it was discontinued?

I have no doubt Fractal could make an incredible channel strip if they wanted to. Hardware or just software plugins. But guitarists are probably a way bigger market.

Everything is moving more into plugins though, it's what users want and today's PCs are so powerful they no longer need external DSP like that Liquid Channel. I assume that's why it was discontinued?

IIRC, the Liquid Channel had a software component to it, but it was only so you could control the unit via USB. (Like Axe Edit) I don't think it used any DSP power from the computer. I could be wrong, but that's the way I remember it.

Back
Top Bottom