Warble/Tape Delay/Old VHS Tape Eater Effect?

paullywally123

Hello everyone,

New to Fractal, just got an Axe FX III. Absolutely loving it. I'm trying to replicate a specific sound that I think is mainly achieved using a Strymon El Cap or a Chase Bliss Audio Warped Vinyl.

Instead of introducing a pedal into the mix, I'd really like to try to replicate this on the Axe FX III but in all my playing around with Pitch, Tape Delays, etc. I could not get it. I'm looking for that old tape, warble sound (examples below). The closest I could get were the repeats on the Lo-Fi Tape Delay or the Deluxe Mind Guy but I couldn't get the effect to "cover" my signal as I was playing. Instead, I was just getting it on the repeats AFTER my signal.

I did try to self-help before posting, but all of the threads and presets I found on this were specific to the Axe FX II and I couldn't import those presets in.

Has anyone been able to nail this particular sound? If so, advice or presets would be SUPER helpful. Been trying to get this sound for years without one of those pedals.

(Effect start at 0:51)

(Effect start immediately)

Bumping this because I just watched the Caspian rig rundown with Phil Jameson and he covers that tape sound.

He actually has the El Cap set to 0 repeats and maximum mix (max wow and flutter too), so that it's just effect without delay.

I'm going to watch Leon's vid too as it's a sound I want but haven't tried to set up.

Update: I can't get the "full wet tape sim" or the El Cap dead tape sound. I know it's in there though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom