Wanted to share a FW 14.04 Beta improvement (Audio Clip)

I was hoping for the gritty details if anyone knows? Is there a white-paper floating around for this beta?

No but Cliff usually puts a decent amount of detail in the release notes. Hold tight for the FW to drop and you'll be able to read them.

I won't upgrade until I'm done tracking...

But this is seriously making me want to. Sounds amazing.
And although I am not a big re-amping guy this is the reason I record that third dry track, anyway.
If I am in the middle of a project and a new firmware comes out that I feel that strongly about, I’m going to finish that project with the new firmware and just re-amp everything else. Otherwise the urge would just be to strong for me and I would end up re-tracking tracks from previous firmware.

John

And although I am not a big re-amping guy this is the reason I record that third dry track, anyway. If I am in the middle of a project and a new firmware comes out that I feel that strongly about, I’m going to finish that project with the new firmware and just re-amp everything else. Otherwise the urge would just be to strong for me and I would end up re-tracking tracks from previous firmware. John

I have re-amp tracks but it's still a pain. Plus my re-amp tracks usually aren't edited across comps and takes. And if the producer comes back and wants me to fix one, little thing -- hard to do if the tones are off.

FWIW I updated anyway. :)

Update: I updated AND I ended up retracking a bunch of stuff because the AC-20 feels so good to play. :D

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing
Haven't tried it yet but in Logic if you group them with your left/right signals and you check the group feature for phase locked audio (or something similar) and you check to arm all the group when recording, you probably could hide the reamp track so you don't have to look at it anymore, but all your comps will be printing identically.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing
Haven't tried it yet but in Logic if you group them with your left/right signals and you check the group feature for phase locked audio (or something similar) and you check to arm all the group when recording, you probably could hide the reamp track so you don't have to look at it anymore, but all your comps will be printing identically.

I tried to figure out a way to do group edits like that in L9 so I could cut and cross-fade across all three tracks (reamp, left and right) but I couldn't figure it out. If anyone has a tutorial on how to do a multi-track grouping and edit the grouping as a whole I'd love to see it. My Logic-fü ain't that good I'm afraid!

I tried to figure out a way to do group edits like that in L9 so I could cut and cross-fade across all three tracks (reamp, left and right) but I couldn't figure it out. If anyone has a tutorial on how to do a multi-track grouping and edit the grouping as a whole I'd love to see it. My Logic-fü ain't that good I'm afraid!

You may not be aware that you should Group the left/right wet inputs and the reamp dry input together into the same group. Then, go into the Group Settings dialog when you click on a channel's little box for assigning it to a Group, you can mouse up to the top of that pop-up window and select "GROUP PROPERTIES", then go into the group you have these guitar tracks in, and check "Edit" group, as well as "Phase-Lock Audio". After that, Quickswipe comping one of the take folders will create the comp across all grouped tracks. Elegant! I also enable the color check box at the bottom, so if I highlight 1 of those tracks, they are all highlighted by virtue of them being grouped, and if I change the color of one of them, they all change along with that one. Great for organizing the project. And the tracks don't need to be together in your view. That is why I suggested you hide the reamp track, so you don't clutter your view, AFTER you've grouped it with the left/right wet tracks. Just remember, if you've grouped 3 tracks together, and then you create new wet/dry tracks, you want to also create a re-amp track, and then put those 3 tracks into a DIFFERENT group than the first guitar tracks you've made.

Basically, this feature was designed to be applied to recording a drum kit. If Neil Peart puts 20 mics on his kit, he can group them together, and then punch in to re-do a section of the song, and all 20 tracks comp/cut/paste/punch-in precisely the same. This example presupposes that he makes mistakes, which of course, is absurd, but I'm merely using it for illustrative purposes in this discussion.

We are merely, wanting to listen to wet tracks, punch-in, cut, paste, to make a perfect take....and we want our reamp track to reflect every modification we've made. Grouping, with edit, and phase-lock audio activated in that group's properties, will do this. You can double check that the tracks are actually linked together, by arming one of them to record - the other tracks should automatically arm also, even though you didn't physically check the record arm button in those other tracks - what you do to one track, does it to all of them automatically.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom