WANTED: 5 good amps

bulgmaf

Inspired

As a new Axe Fx II owner (I've had it for about 1 week), I'm looking for 4-5 good amp models that have a mild to moderate amount of breakup/gain, which clean up nicely when rolling off the guitar volume or lessening the pick attack. The music I play is best suited for this type of moderate gain amp. I like the tone of the Matchless Chieftan model, but haven't been able to play around with it yet to find the sweet spot. I'm still reading the manuals to figure out how to tweak stuff. Also, if there are any effects that help the specific amp get to this sweet spot, and where best to place the effect in the chain, that info could be very helpful in my pursuit of tone bliss.

Anyone have any ideas?

Try:

Lonestar
Badger
AC30 (maybe with some od in front)
~13
CarolAnn
Plexi or 1987X
Buttery

Play with drive and mastervolume settings to balance drive. Try to lower bass: Start low.

Definitely,

PLEXI/1987X : These can be really musical. put the Drive up around 5-6 (this is with my single coil) and play with your volume pot. Really dynamic. (Peter Thorn - Gear Spotlight - YouTube go to 5:30 mark and the SL68 is what I try to make my plexi to sound like. It gets pretty close with the current gears I have)

Deluxe Tweed : Bit of BB Preamp in the front and you'll love it. (Ross Bolton with Xotic BB Preamp - YouTube I believe the blankenship is based on similar amp so I chose the deluxe tweed. Lovely blues tone.. not too dirty but just a grit)

Super Trem: Not sure if this is your type but I just love the natural grit this amp gives.

I really haven't delve TOO deep into other amps. Man.. there are so many great amps out there. As I'm typing this out... another sense of appreciation to my Fractal staff!! Cheers!

You'll find plenty. Just hear clips on youtube or your favorite artists' rig and see what you like and try to find amps that match their rig :). happy amp hunting!

Try:

Lonestar
Badger
AC30 (maybe with some od in front)
~13
CarolAnn
Plexi or 1987X
Buttery

Play with drive and mastervolume settings to balance drive. Try to lower bass: Start low.

THIS & add the Mr Z to that list.

Also, I've found that putting the Tube Drive in front of one of these amps, especially the ~13 is OUT-STANDING when it comes to what you're describing. Most important, though, is finding a good IR for your amp. That is key.

1. AC30 w brt switch
2. Lonestar or Trainwreck (Brt switch)
3. USA Clean 1 or 2 & brt switch (Mark I)
4. 65 Bassguy or Vibroverb (for little more gain)
5. JCM800 w lots of sag,comp,&dyn on the amp block (very juicy!)

- To push these amps just a little bit, use Tape Dist in front. If the amp seems too dark, hit the bright switch or put Treble Boost in front

- if too mushy/muddy, cut bass w PEQ after cab or put an OD in front: drive @ 0, level @ 8, & tone between 5 & 7

- experiment between Alnico blues and greenbacks for cabs, maybe even stereo with one of each.

Try also:
Friedman BE - Friedman Brown Eye is a modded plexi style
FAS Wreck - Trainwreck Express - expensive boutique head w EL34 tubes (marshall)
Herbie - Diezel Herbert - nice clean sounds - from a Hiwatt clean, to Fender sparkly cleans, to cranked plexi

Personally I'm still settled on the Suhr Badger 18 model for most of my tones. I haven't tried the 30 yet - I'm still on FW8.1.

Edit: P.S. Make sure you scroll through all of the cabinets to find the ones you like the best for your tone. These make a HUGE difference! Currently I'm loving Factory Cab #51 with the Badger 18:
51 4x12 Uber V30 (RW) Based on: "Bogner Uberkab. The Uberkab is loaded with both Celestion G12T-75s and Vintage 30s. This set features the V30s”

Edit 2: If you haven't discovered it yet, the Wiki will be a good resource in your quest for tone:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AMP_(block):_list
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Cab_(block):_list

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.

Another question: do the amp characteristics that I'm after (see initial post in this thread) continue to occur regardless of the guitar? Example: Strat in hand, I dial in a tasty mild-to-moderate breakup with a desired amp that cleans up well when I roll off the volume or clean up my pick attack -- then I switch to a Les Paul. Do I still retain the characteristics of the amp with just slight tweaking of the amp parameters, or do I have to scrap it altogether and find a different amp model that does what I want with the Les Paul? Can I find a good amp model that will do what I want with any guitar?

It´s like any real amp, so you have to try and see. That´s how you find exactly what YOU want ;)

All y'all mentioned the following amp models that I don't seem to have in my AXE FX 2:

Badger, Divided by 13, Supertrem, Brit Silver, Atomica Low, Herbert Ch. 2.

Where did they go?

All y'all mentioned the following amp models that I don't seem to have in my AXE FX 2:

Where did they go?

This tells me you either purchased a used Axe-fx II (with an older firmware) or you are probably still using Axe-edit... Do a forum search and upgrade to 9.0 beta and use the front panel... good luck!

This tells me you either purchased a used Axe-fx II (with an older firmware) or you are probably still using Axe-edit... Do a forum search and upgrade to 9.0 beta and use the front panel... good luck!

I just purchased a new Mark II system last week loaded with FW 8.01a. Does the 9.0 beta have those other amps?

Where did they go?

Somewhere back in firmware versions they developed the first 50 or so presets to demo the amp settings. They've added a bucket full of amps since then, including the ones you mention. In order to hear them, you'll need to select an amp patch that is likely to have similar settings (try the Mr Z, Buttery, Boutique, or similar) and go to layout, select the amp block, and start scrolling through the amps. You'll see those and more at the end of the list.

I'm hoping when V9 goes full release it will be with a new preset download including examples of all amps. I really love that through the first 50! Let's make it a hundred (or more)!

While you're checking out mid-gain goodness, also check the Dirty Shirley. It will turn into a jam-fest... I wish I had more occasion to use it live.

I just purchased a new Mark II system last week loaded with FW 8.01a. Does the 9.0 beta have those other amps?
Some should be there, like the Atomica and Super Trem. Others might be a V9 add. The beta has worked great on half a dozen live gigs for me, so I'd say "jump on in."

Thanks for the help everyone. OK, so here's what my research yielded. My manual (which is so new that it says Mark II on the cover) stops at the 5153 Red model. When I fired up my Axe FX 2 with 8.01a firmware and actually scrolled through each model, I found 17 new models, including many of those I thought I was missing. Looks like 9.0 Beta adds a Suhr Badger 30 and a Brit Silver.

I just assumed that my manual was up-to-date and accurate. My bad. This isn't a complaint. On the contrary, the continual upgrading by Fractal is REALLY COOL, and is above and beyond. What a great club to be a part of. :D

Back
Top Bottom