Want to have cake and eat it too maxing cpu

Decimator

Inspired
Hello Friends,

I am working on a clean patch with 2 amps 2 cabs and they share one reverb. I'm hitting 92 with stock cabs. It hits 98 percent when I put my ir's in. I know I can save by going low res and low setting on the reverb but it loses too much of the sound I'm looking for.
Just wondering if there are any tips or tweaks in the amp blocks that can save on cpu without killing the tone. I know Axe fx 3 can take care of this but it's just not in my near future.
Amazingly it actually plays at 98 percent with only the slightest artifacting which surprises me a lot that it is even playable. Usually the sound starts crapping out at around 92. Perhaps is more stable because there are not a lot of effects.

Paul

Can you post the preset?

Some amp block dynamics/compression features increase CPU usage.

Sometimes blocks can be XY switched to lower-CPU settings when bypassed. That's not really an option if every block is needed simultaneously at some point.

For reverbs, you can bring down the density and substantially reduce the CPU hit. I actually prefer lower density settings for my guitar reverb, but YMMV...

Can you post the preset?

Some amp block dynamics/compression features increase CPU usage.

Sometimes blocks can be XY switched to lower-CPU settings when bypassed. That's not really an option if every block is needed simultaneously at some point.
I'll post the preset up tonight and thanks.
I am using evey block simultaniuosly so that option is out I guess.

Paul

Thanks for chiming in. I will check the reverb density. I was thinking perhaps the user Ir im trying may be longer files and maybe why they use more cpu. I also know i don't need 2 stereo cabs but the sound makes a big difference to me. Something else very strange is every time I load the patch the cpu varies from 86 to 93 percent. it only lowered to 86 after changing cabs and then changing them back to stock then I do it again and it is 92 percent on the same combination of cabs.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7155

Attachments

• 697_clean max cpu.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
@Decimator I didn't look at the forum at first, so I didn't notice it was a II file until I started to import it into my III... o_O Just for giggles, I converted it in FracTool and loaded it up, shows 51.9% on the III, and you're right: tons of verb!

I hope someone can give you some help on the II !

I 'only' have a III as well, but one thing I've noticed - the biggest contributor to CPU usage for me is mixing IRs.

Not sure what IRs you're using, but maybe look at that? I've saved loads by going for a pre-mixed one rather than using my own blend

Thanks guys for looking into it. Wow 51% in the III. That would be maybe 60% if I used my IR's. The 3 sure is a beast of a machine though. I took the advice of turning down the reverb density and I was able to add a delay too. I will have to spend some time playing with ir's. I'm a big Devin Townsend fan so yeah I like the sound of a tonn of reverb. That's where the screen name Decimator comes from. Its a Strapping Young Lad song.

Strangest thing about this patch is how darn stable it is even now that I turned down the density but since I added the delay now it sits at 96 percent with zero artifacts.

I never get bored making and tweaking new patches on this thing. I bought the xl+ not long before the 3 came out. There was a lot of talk on the forums at that time about there not going to be an axe fx 3. I have no regrets though. I'll probably end up waiting for the 4 before upgradong. I have only even tried out maybe 20 percent of the amps in this thing. I get impressed every day with something new I learn about this magic box. I keep putting off recording because I keep finding a better sound. I know I can re amp but when ever I think I'm ready I always end up reading about something else O want to try. Or I'll wake up in the middle of the night and say hmmm I have an idea lol.

Anyways thanks again. This is got to be the best forum out there.

Paul

Maybe try a correctly parametered multi-delay instead of a reverb block. Sound engineers might prefer also. Reverb easily can become a PITA on sound systems.

Do you have bypassed modules in the block or whatever it's called?

I noticed when I deleted the grayed out effects I wasn't using I significantly cut my CPU usage. I usually use two of each: gates, amps, HQ reverbs and IR's sometimes four total. ML Sound Labs IR's. and I'm usually between 60-70% on a Mk I AxeFXii.

Back
Top Bottom