Want to buy an AX8... should I wait?

TheTrueZoltan!

Inspired
Hey all,
The GAS is strong in me and I really want an AX8. The question is, if - considering all the discussions about the AX8 perhaps getting a successor soon - this really is the right time to buy one. 1400 EUR is still a lot of money and I'd bite myself in the ass (as we say here in Germany) if a better version gets released in the near future and my just recently purchased AX8 turns into a legacy product and doesn't receive firmware or software updates anymore. However, I suspect that a new version will be significantly more expensive than the current model. Also there would surely be a waiting period of several months to get one.
What are your opinions?

I just bought my second AX8 this weekend. I figure if there's a new model announced, it won't be available for a while and there will be a waiting list. Resale value is good on the Fractal devices. And the price has been lowered several times.

What specially is the Ax8 currently missing ? if you didn’t get any more amp updates and had to make do with “just” 200 some amp models and hundreds of effects would that really be such a bad thing ?

Seems people don’t so much buy gear for its current features but they buy it for updates.... it’s like more fun looking forward to the next update and maybe some random amp than it is playing all the amps already there.

I guess the firmware is the “getting” part of guitar gear and that can be more fun than the playing. I know I’ve had pedals where I enjoyed the demos, the research, the buying and anticipation of it shipping more then actually playing the thing.

Hey all,
The GAS is strong in me and I really want an AX8. The question is, if - considering all the discussions about the AX8 perhaps getting a successor soon - this really is the right time to buy one. 1400 EUR is still a lot of money and I'd bite myself in the ass (as we say here in Germany) if a better version gets released in the near future and my just recently purchased AX8 turns into a legacy product and doesn't receive firmware or software updates anymore. However, I suspect that a new version will be significantly more expensive than the current model. Also there would surely be a waiting period of several months to get one.
What are your opinions?
I would buy it immediately if the wish is so big. You will not regret it - that's the best decision of my (musician's) life ...

missing the ability to use 2 amps at once, limited memory/processing causes you to have to make severe compromises with certain setups. For example, there's no way to port the axefx ii holdsworth sounds to ax8 currently without severe compromise. Also, you can't get an autowah and regular wah in the same program.

Love the ax8 but it's not perfect. An upgrade path would be nice.

What specially is the Ax8 currently missing ? if you didn’t get any more amp updates and had to make do with “just” 200 some amp models and hundreds of effects would that really be such a bad thing ?

Seems people don’t so much buy gear for its current features but they buy it for updates.... it’s like more fun looking forward to the next update and maybe some random amp than it is playing all the amps already there.

I guess the firmware is the “getting” part of guitar gear and that can be more fun than the playing. I know I’ve had pedals where I enjoyed the demos, the research, the buying and anticipation of it shipping more then actually playing the thing.

Hard decision and allot of it depends on what you want and expect out of the unit.
Is it as powerful as its big brother the Axe Fx II, no
As @jzucker said there are compromises as he listed in the post above.
But in other ways it's way more convenient! and matching block for block on the Axe Fx II it sounds the same.
The board itself to have those 8 switches to be anything you want per preset, there is a lot of covience/ power in that alone.
I treat mine as a device for live purposes. Just a quick example, if a preset is eating a bit to much processor power, can dum down the reverb a bit, save processor and under a live setting no one will know the difference. Just a quick example.
How much do I like the AX8? Well got the Axe Fx III last month the AX8 is still my go to unit for playing live.

John

I would definitely get one now. Even if a new one is announced tomorrow, it will be a long time, before it is easily available.

I see many shortcomings in the current ax8. The sound is second to none, and the 4*12 grid is a stroke of genius. It is intuitive and very flexible to work with. The processing power and the lack of two amps are not problems for me. The convenience of the floor board format easily makes up for that.

But there's lots of room for improvement when it comes to use interface and usefulness in a live situation. Color screen and scribble strips, would help immensely when trying to get an overview fast in a live situation. The user interface when it comes to editing on the front panel is just not up to par. All of this has been improved on the III and the FCs.

There's also the other brands. While GT1000, Helix and Headrush are all behind on sound, they are catching up quickly, and at the same time, they are all far far ahead, when it comes to user interface.

I hope that FAS really knocks it out of the park with the AX8mkII, and I hope it comes soon, or it might be too late. I believe they can do it.

All that said, if I didn't have an ax8 already, I would run out an get one immediately. I played another gig with mine yesterday (must be my 40th gig with it by now), and every time, I am baffled at how good it sounds, and how versatile and powerful this setup is.

Good for you but I often use autowah for fusion jazz solos but I still occasionally like to use a regular wah for rhythm and/or blues/rock stuff.

I can't imagine a situation in which I would need to combine an Auto-Wah and a normal Wah in the same preset. I like it simple, so I only need the traditional Stomp Box => Amp => Cab setup.

Just ordered the AX8 ;-)

I can't imagine a situation in which I would need to combine an Auto-Wah and a normal Wah in the same preset. I like it simple, so I only need the traditional Stomp Box => Amp => Cab setup.

Just ordered the AX8 ;-)
You can... use the Wah for regular wah, and use a Filter block tied to the envelope controller for Auto Wah. Search for Auto Wah on the forum and you'll find some ideas on how to set it up...

Hey all,
What are your opinions?
Had similar thoughts in February. The successor of AX8 wasn't even announced, so I saw no reason to wait. Bought AX8, had absolutely no regrets so far.
I'm sure, I'd make the same decision now. :)

Last edited:
Depends on how much you need it and if waiting is an option.
True, it has it shortcomings, but overall in live situations I could make it work (for me).

The guys at G66 are very supportive (from my experience), maybe you have the option to ask them for a test product and see if it works for you?

Complete conjecture, but in my mind a new AX8 II likely won't be announced until late this year at the earliest, and I wouldn't get it in my hands for several months after that due to release timing and a wait list. Additionally, the price is likely going to be higher than the AX8 when it was first announced (probably $1500?). And the AX8 will still probably sell for at least $800 used down the road.

So for me, you'll be able to get a fun toy/tool to play with for the next year or so and will likely only take a could hundred dollar hit if/when you want to upgrade.

Complete conjecture, but in my mind a new AX8 II likely won't be announced until late this year at the earliest, and I wouldn't get it in my hands for several months after that due to release timing and a wait list. Additionally, the price is likely going to be higher than the AX8 when it was first announced (probably $1500?). And the AX8 will still probably sell for at least $800 used down the road.

So for me, you'll be able to get a fun toy/tool to play with for the next year or so and will likely only take a could hundred dollar hit if/when you want to upgrade.
I think you are right here, and since it's Germany, shipping of a successor would at least take 3 months longer than USA.

Wait, WAIT, wait, what did you say......................................wait! Have you lost yer mind. This is TGP, you never wait. Just do it.
It's either the right choice or the wrong choice. You're 50/50 either way. Ha hahahahahahahahahah...........wait.............NEVER!

Wait, WAIT, wait, what did you say......................................wait! Have you lost yer mind. This is TGP, you never wait. Just do it.
It's either the right choice or the wrong choice. You're 50/50 either way. Ha hahahahahahahahahah...........wait.............NEVER!
TGP?! C'MON MAN!! That's worse than forgetting which city you're doing the gig in!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom