Want to buy an AX8... should I wait?

I have a feeling that the successor to the AX8 will likely be a floor model of the Axe FX II. That's what *I* would do if I were Fractal. It would be a significant upgrade to the AX8 but still wouldn't kill the market for the AFX3. If that ends up being the case it will be quite a bit more expensive than the AX8. $1800-2000 would be my guess.

I don't think there is a big difference between the AX8 and the II (in their guts, I mean). In the II you can use 2 amps at the same time. Not in the AX8. And some other "minor" things.

BTW, yesterday I was taking a look at the wiki and found (maybe it's wrong) that the Looper block recording time in the AX8 is 4 times superior to the II.

So I think that's not the way they're going. And/but I don't really care about that.

Either way, if/when a successor to the AX8 does come out it would have to be a significant enough upgrade to justify a new model but then added features like dual amp, more FX blocks,CPU power, etc would make it compete directly with the Axe FX 3. So... It would HAVE to be more expensive than the current AX8 by a significant amount. They'd have a hard time selling the AFX3 for 2500-3500 if the new AX8 v2.0 had 80% if it's functionality for $1200 ;)

TLDR.. Buy the AX8. For the price it can't be beat and any successor will very likely cost a lot more

I have a feeling that the successor to the AX8 will likely be a floor model of the Axe FX II.

I had not considered that. But FAS would have to maintain two separate code bases if they did that. Plus the AX8 already shares the same modeling as the AxeII so with regards to sound quality a full AxeII on the floor doesn’t offer any real advantages. Just a guess, but I think we’ll see an AX8 upgrade built off the AxeIII platform at some point.

I just got one this week and after tweaking it for the second day I'm very satisfied with my purchase and love my tone. Took some getting use to but editing patches on the PC is the way to go. Don't wait, buy it!

Back
Top Bottom