Want to buy a Computer to use with the Axe Fx II?

JIMMY G

Inspired
I would like to purchase a laptop to use with the new Axe-Edit 3, Fractal-Bot and all things Axe-Fx. What would be the best choice be, Windows or Mac and what Operating system? Would something new be able to do the job or would you have to go with something a little older. I'm just using it for the MIDI ( firmware updates, ir transfers and backup, not audio.

I know this is a matter of opinion but just wanted to see want people are thinking about getting if they were to update their computer.

Thanks for any advise!

Buy the smallest and cheapest one you can get!!! that way it is only dedicated to the axe fx.

I'm a mac guy, but you can use an HP Mini and that would be a great form factor for the axe FX and a bag, and used they go around $75 to $90.

I have an iMac 10.6.8 now. But I would like something just for the Axe Fx. I would go with a desktop if that was the better choice.

I have a HP ultrabook (i5 core) but i am not satisfied because when i use REAPER (daw) with AXE FX 2 (via USB) and open a few web site for example youtube, soundcloud etc. ultrabook is getting too hot and its fan is always runing full speed.
This is very annoying for me.
So i am planning to buy an imac in the coming days. I think imac will be more powerful and comfortable.

I have bought a used MacBookPro 13" for like 450€ and put my old Vertex2 SSD with 120GB in...
Have Mavericks installed and LogicX and it works like a charm with Axe Edit 1.9b and FW 10.12
Well you can buy any Laptop Mac or PC like the other say but keep in mind that if you are on Stage and there is a lot of Vibration you get issues with normal HD
and your OP Sys will Crash or Stop working...
So if you use it also on Stage than best is to use a SSD and then turn Sudden Motion Sensor Off...
I use Chameleon SSD Optimizer for that and can also enable Trim... works like a charm also with Mavericks ;-)

If you buy a Mac, make sure it can run upcoming OS X Maverick.
Maverick includes a driver update which solves an issue between the Axe-Fx and OS X.

Netbooks are great but not for recording.

I use a mac mini (newest one) it is not cheep but works great for what i do with it. My tv is my screen. wireless control as well. plus it gives me alot more than just a low cost computer. I have a muto 4pre and use fire wire into it. USB to the axe. uno midi sport for the mfc.

I use an iMac i7 from 2011 with 16Gb Ram and a 17" MBP i7. Both are more than enough for recording. I would look into an older Macbook Air if it's going to be used just for the Axe. Small, light weight and durable.

If you already have a monitor and are open to the idea of a desktop, I highly recommend the newest Mac Mini. I have the 2012 i7 server model and installed a 256 GB SSD in it (along with the stock 1 TB drive). It flies and has no problem keeping up with heavy Pro Tools sessions.

The only downside is that the Axe II is not at all stable when used as an audio interface on a Mac. However, this is supposedly addressed in the upcoming OS X 10.9 release.

Thanks Guys! Seems like the new Mavericks takes care of the issues mac has been having and since I'm a mac guy maybe i'll look at a new macbook. Guess I'll have to sell a guitar :nightmare:

I have a HP ultrabook (i5 core) but i am not satisfied because when i use REAPER (daw) with AXE FX 2 (via USB) and open a few web site for example youtube, soundcloud etc. ultrabook is getting too hot and its fan is always runing full speed.
This is very annoying for me.
So i am planning to buy an imac in the coming days. I think imac will be more powerful and comfortable.

One thing is a computer to control the axe FX and another completely different is a computer for recording audio, using plugings etc....

If you want a porta studio laptop, then a no brainer option is a mac laptop.......

From your original post, if you just want it for editing, you don't need a super spec'd out computer. I'd say any Windows laptop with Windows 7 would be a good bet. I don't know about netbooks in terms of power. I'm not sure what the Axe Edit spec will be, but I had a small IBM laptop with an early Pentium M processor and it really struggled with the old Axe Edit. Glacially slow. Worked fine for internet, YouTube and that kind of thing, but Axe Edit crunched it.

Personally I prefer Macs, but in the Windows world you should be able to get a used laptop cheap that would do the trick.

First
judging by all the bitching- there are some issues with mac/midi/axeedit

second... if you want a laptop just for axe then go cheap...

any basic laptop can do what 90% of people need it for...

what i tell people- go to frys electronics...(or their website) and buy the cheapest laptop on the front page add...

If it's a laptop, go for a Macbook Pro. I've yet to see a PC laptop that integrates hardware and software as well. Macs also have the Thunderbolt connection that can be used to extend the functionality (though there aren't that many devices for it yet). The trackpad on Macs is just better than anything on PC laptops. Besides most new PC laptops come with Win 8 now and that is just a huge clusterfuck of an OS.

In any case, if you can wait, then do so because the next gen Macbook Pros should be released possibly next month.

PS. Writing this on my desktop PC running Win7 and Hackintosh. I just feel Macbook Pros are the superior laptop.

Jimmy, Check ebay. The Dell latitude is abundant with more than 8,000 used ones on the market. If you just need something to run AxeEdit, really none of the computers specifications are all that important. AE will run on WinXP or newer. You might want a big display and internet capability. There are some good deals for around $150-$250.

Jimmy,

if you just want to use a laptop for what you stated (and nothing more), then don't waste $$$ on a Mac. Go with the cheapest Wintel laptop from Fry's, Best Buy or equivalent. If it breaks.. buy another. Heck, you could go thru FIVE (or more) of them before you touch the price of a Mac. :)

My $0.02

Back
Top Bottom