Want to buy a bass for recording ... need advice

Luth2000

Inspired
I’m a home recording guy, proficient on keyboards and guitars. I’ve been recording using Spectrasonics Trilian, but think I can lay much better bass down if I stepped up to a real bass.

I don’t want to buy a bass amp, and hope to keep the price of this investment at 1,000 or less. I was eyeing the Fender Deluxe Active P Bass, but read a few reviews that seemed to say it’s not the magical across the board workhorse that so many reviews spout.

So do any of you have suggestions on what I should be looking for? I play Jazz, rock, blues, fusion. I obviously don’t have bass chops yet, but do know how to practice and learn.

ideally I’m recording thru the Fractal FX II XL+

Thanks for any feedback!
Luther

Hi luth2000,
Aparently the actives aren't quite as special as you'd think.
Have you tried a jazz bass? I ask because with a jazz bass you can get those trebly wonderful sounds and also the more traditional saounds as well by removing some of the top end.
Thanks
Pauly

My brother in law has a bass I played about 2 years ago, but I didn’t even notice exactly what it was. I have a feeling it was a jazz bass of some flavor. Thats about the only time I’ve picked one up for any real playing. Your answer is what I’m looking for, I need to be steered toward what I should demo at Guitar centers etc, and shop used on Reverb.com.

Thanks for your input! Do you play yours thru the FX?

Hi again,
Yes - if you want some great starting presets, grab Austinbuddys presets. They are very good.
Thanks
Pauly

My brother in law has a bass I played about 2 years ago, but I didn’t even notice exactly what it was. I have a feeling it was a jazz bass of some flavor. Thats about the only time I’ve picked one up for any real playing. Your answer is what I’m looking for, I need to be steered toward what I should demo at Guitar centers etc, and shop used on Reverb.com.

Thanks for your input! Do you play yours thru the FX?

Any passive J or P will do it. US made won't need any refinements whilst Mexican one may need better hardware or pups. I personally play guitar and bass and through years of recording and playing out live I can tell that Precision is the most universal of them all. YMMV.

Get one of the fender short scale ones, they are under $200, play well, and if your a guitarist first and foremost, the 30” scale is a lot easier to play

I have a Schecter Omen Extreme 5 that is awesome. The action is low which is great for me since I am a guitar player attempting to play bass. It sounds great and I am impressed by the overall fit and finish. I bought it for home recording and have been pretty happy with it. At under $500 it won’t break the bank either.

I just bought a Fender Squier VM Jaguar SS bass to test my bass cab packs with a Fender-ish sound.

For $200, it was the best feeling Fender to me without spending $2K+.

The Fractal is an awesome bass rig, hence why I started making bass cab IRs for it for the past 2 years.

YMMV

A used MusicMan Stingray would serve you well. The single pickup one will do fine, and a few more options can be had with the HH. Best recorded bass I’ve personally witnessed. For passive, a standard Precision bass is hard to go wrong with, and though the Jazz can sound great the pickups can be a bit noisy in certain setups.

And how is it going with the Fender? Curious because I'm really interested in buying one for myself
Going great with the Fender. Adding a real bass to my arsenal is a game changer for recording. Here’s a list of notables I’ve experienced:

1) The instrument itself has been great. There is something weird going on with the input jack lately that I need to trouble shoot. I like the versatility of the two pick ups, the ability to blend them, and the active boost occasionally.

2) My primary instruments are piano and guitar, so it’s been fun trying to get “bass-sensibility” and chops built up. As a guitarist I like to play more complex chords, modal leads, outside comping, etc., so it takes some discipline to stay true to the foundation of the bass’ role in each mix.

3) Since my right hand technique is still being developed (no pick), it’s been experimental on setting up the action on the instrument. The action was quite high when I got it, and the low E-string was really large, so I restrung with a lighter set, and have played a lot with varying setups.

4) No real problems with left hand technique, other than muting neighboring strings. The right hand needed callous build-up on the tip of the index finger, and I’m slowly getting the middle finger more in the game.

5) Using the Fractal I’ve been trying out mostly clean tones. Lately I’m bypassing and dialing in just compression and reverb from plugins, and get an awesome clean and natural direct sound.

6) I have a wide taste in music, but in the last few weeks have leaning toward Weather Report style, with African rhythms, clean bass up front, and keyboard layers/poly rhythms. The combo of bass, drums, and LA custom Rhodes (Spectrasonics Keyscape) delivers awesome Zawinul stuff.

7) the hardest thing about the bass for me is getting used to the highest string being the G-string. I’m so used to referencing fret position off the E string, that my vocabulary on the high G on the fly is weak.

My goal was to bring more “flow” and feel into my mixes, and adding a real bass certainly does that. And if you are a linear guitar player, I’d say it’s quite a fun instrument to compliment and fun challenge to conquer.

I got to try a Dingwall a couple of years back and it literally is in its own league when it comes to how it sounds. Once i have the funds i am getting one for myself, and all clients i have produced and recorded since have wanted to use that damn Dingwall in the studio, Well worth getting one imo.

Back
Top Bottom