Want the MXR 5150 Overdrive pedal? You got it already.

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
That new MXR pedal really seems nice. Pete Thorn's demo is below.

Like with the Bogner pedals: if you have an Axe-Fx II, you have the pedal. Just put the Amp block before your 2nd Amp block (clean), and select 5153 Blue or Red (Red seems a little overkill). Set the 5153 controls to default, except for SAG:zero (P.A. off) and turn down Level or Master Volume to achieve unity gain. Set Drive as desired.

Works as a pedal but uses less CPU than a Drive block.

Same method applies to the Bogners: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/like-the-bogner-pedals-you-got-them-already.69137/

Last edited:
Cool tip. I had read that it was based on the blue channel. Gonna give this a shot just for fun. :)

Cool technique. I saw Pete's demo from a post on rig talk. Just such a monster player too.

I thought at one time running Amp -> Amp caused issues due to the way the firmware was coded?

Cool technique. I saw Pete's demo from a post on rig talk. Just such a monster player too.

I thought at one time running Amp -> Amp caused issues due to the way the firmware was coded?

Works fine for this purpose.

Amp blocks in series can cause issues when you use them as amps and want to switch between them.

Super idea. I gave it a shot with the Plexi 100 W Treble as the " clean " amp and the 5153 100w Blue as the " drive " amp. Mmmm very nioce , not quite there like Pete's demo but I can see the potential. Its cool as you can use the tone controls on the " drive " amp like the controls on the pedal. I suppose it makes a huge difference what you choose as the " Clean " amp any ideas ? I assume Pete is using one of his Suhrs to drive with the pedal but IDK

I suppose it makes a huge difference what you choose as the " Clean " amp any ideas ? I assume Pete is using one of his Suhrs to drive with the pedal but IDK
From Pete Thorn: Hi, yes it's the clean channel of my Suhr PT100. A Fender-ish clean sound.

Great idea Yek. I never thought of using an amp block in this way. Thanks for sharing!

Just futzed with it for an hour, some really cool possibilities there (easy to set up multiple scenes from super clean to just breaking to mid gain to over the top OD with vol, comp,verb, delay, phase, flange multidelay & rotory and X/Y amp & cab blocks, with under 68% CPU usage). Thanks for the idea, Yek.

Nice tip... was already aware of it but since others may not, be cool..

But, that said, TBH, I think mostly of these amp in a box pedals as devices being marketed for people who want Amp 'x' but can't afford amp 'x' (or in some cases can't/don't want to run two amps at once). i.e. a compromise in a box.

I understand gain staging, so no need to point out this is different/interesting/pedals are useful, etc, but I generally find that given all the quality base amps in th AFX I don't want to go back to what I consider my 'bad old days' of 'pedal distortion->tube amp clean' tone when I only had one amp. 90%+ of the time I want to stay in the much more satisfying and ideal 'overdrive->tube amp distortion' mode.

The guy buying the Bogner pedals or this thing *really* wants the sound the amp makes most of the time, IMHO, in fact that is why the thing is named the way it is to make him feel like that is what he is getting. But with the AFX, like the subject says, "you got it already". My AFX stuff to try list is already a million miles long.

That new MXR pedal really seems nice. Pete Thorn's demo is below.

Like with the Bogner pedals: if you have an Axe-Fx II, you have the pedal. Just put the Amp block before your 2nd Amp block (clean), and select 5153 Blue or Red (Red seems a little overkill). Set the 5153 controls to default, except for SAG:zero (P.A. off) and turn down Level or Master Volume to achieve unity gain. Set Drive as desired.

Works as a pedal but uses less CPU than a Drive block.

But using two amps will bring revert quality to normal resolution, right?

Seems like, since the code was refactored and the AX8 can do one amp, the Tiger should be able to do 2 with no loss now? Purely speculation on my part.

I can't tell the difference with one or two amp blocks either. I also don't hear any difference between analog and digital out of the Fractal. The analog path is so pro and clean, pretty ridiculous.

Reactions: yek
Right, but that's mostly theoretical. Don't worry about it.
Nobody, well, hardly anyone notices the difference. Cliff himself doesn't hear the difference.

I had been curious about this as well, particularly since the improved block efficiency for pretty much everything.
I couldn't tell a difference before... kinda' wish I wasn't even aware of this "normal" resolution you guys speak of, but since I am...
Can anyone say whether or not the difference between "normal" with two amp blocks and "high" with one is even less noticeable now?

Two amps in a row can be very much fun. It can get explosive. Amp block has a lot more adjustment range than a drive block in every way. Try two Bassman59's in a row.

Great post, thanks.

Going to have to try this out since I was considering getting the Mxr pedal (because pedal addiction).

Back
Top Bottom