Walkthrough MFC + AxeFX2 XL +

Thanks for the great video and post Komrad20.

That's a great question - I copied the notes from the MFC-101 manual. I don't have the three different MFC-101s to test on. If FAS says they don't encourage that usage then who am I to contradict them in my documentation? That being said (here it comes) I do a lot of stuff myself with the connectivity and powering of the MFC that "isn't supported" but I don't promote that because it is mostly newbies that have difficulty with simple connections and adding the variables introduced with connections that are not recommended just delays their path to success and increases their frustration. Once you know your way around the gear, MIDI and ports, there are some things you can do that I wouldn't encourage newbies to try. It ultimately frustrates the user and increases the support workload for many.

Seems like a very sensible approach, maybe it's one of those things that if all else fail, try this.
I'm quite happy to clean up the video, puts some notes on it and put it up on my You Tube channel for reference if that would be helpful at all.

Seems like a very sensible approach, maybe it's one of those things that if all else fail, try this.
I'm quite happy to clean up the video, puts some notes on it and put it up on my You Tube channel for reference if that would be helpful at all.
Yeah - A LOT OF PEOPLE would be happy if you did that. It just can't come from me - I'm sure you understand.

Will do. I'm sure the delay was set automatically to manual and 120 'ish', when I selected the Axe Midi In.

Will do. I'm sure the delay was set automatically to manual and 120 'ish', when I selected the Axe Midi In.
If MFC-Edit detects certain USB/MIDI interfaces that it knows about (for instance the Axe-Fx II) and will auto-set the correct transmission delay. There are still variances with super-fast or super-slow machines but its mostly correct.

Thank you both, Gary, and smfelton for clearing this question up.
smfelton, would you mind making a more detail step by step video (walkthrough), I'm anxious to try it myself.
Thanks!!!!!! :)

If MFC-Edit detects certain USB/MIDI interface that it knows about (for instance the Axe-Fx II) it will auto-set the correct transmission delay.

Cool well that's all I'm using, I haven't had to change anything. I get the occasional fail, where it just sits on 'Presets 1' but I had this using midi cables, and it always works the second time.

I've started to put the video together, just a few edits and labels on the original. I'll try and upload it after I've taken my stepson to football/soccer.

Here is the video 'walkthrough' for using an ethernet cable and USB adapter mode to transfer sysex to and from the MFC101.
This is just a 'quick' video using the original footage I shot with added notes etc. Let me know what you think and if it needs to be anymore detailed.

Last edited:
I'll be damned.

Why on earth do they put people through this midi cable torture if normal connections work?

Ah, okay.

Making a foot controller without a method to update and tweak it online in the 21st century is a crime against humanity, I think.

Hey all, might be out of subject here, but i cant seem to post a new thread since i just signed up to the forum!

I've been searching all over for a simple answer to this!

Is there a way one can connect an external pedal like a Boss, chorus or flanger etc... to the MFC-101 Mark III and have it placed and controlled within the chain?
Bummer so far!

anyone?

The MFC-101 send and received MIDI data only, not audio, so no, you can't do that. You may add additional external effects either in front of the Axe-Fx inputs or in the FX Loop to get them in the signal chain.

The MFC-101 send and received MIDI data only, not audio, so no, you can't do that. You may add additional external effects either in front of the Axe-Fx inputs or in the FX Loop to get them in the signal chain.
Thank you so much for your reply! That clears it! Have an awesome day!

Back
Top Bottom