Walkthrough MFC + AxeFX2 XL +

komrad20

Inspired
Im sure this question has probably been asked somewhere around here, but I was wanting to know if someone would mind walking me through on how to program my MFC 101, using the AxeFX2XL+, I don't currently have a USB to MIDI interface cable.
I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks

Are you trying to use the mfc edit? you can not program the mfc with the xl+ but you can program through it. do you mean program the mfc to work with the xl+?

To transfer the sysex from the MFC edit program to the MFC, just pith Axe FX into USB adaptor mode ( I/O button, midi page). Then in MFC edit select the 'transfer to MFC' option in 'tools' menu. Select the Axe fx in the midi box, click send and follow the on screen instructions. I do this quite regularly over an Ethernet/ethercon lead to my mk I.
I've written this from memory, but I think I've got the correct names.

Are you trying to use the mfc edit? you can not program the mfc with the xl+ but you can program through it. do you mean program the mfc to work with the xl+?
I'm trying to use MFC Edit with the Axe, and don't have a USB to MIDI cable, I was wondering if it was possible to use the Axe as the interface cable per say, until I get one.

You can check out the section of the Fractal-Bot manual marked "OPTIONAL: Using the Axe-Fx II as a MIDI Interface" (page 4), which will walk through using the AxeFX as your midi interface for dumping an MFC backup to your computer, you can then open a copy of that .syx file in MFC-Edit. That's what I do, I don't use any other midi interface for backing up my MFC

Last edited:
as smfelton posted, the mfc edit has a how to in the tool menu. you will need a midi cable though.

Yes as I said you do not need a midi cable or interface. If you set the Axe FX in 'USB Adaptor Mode' you can transfer the sysex to and from the MFC using the ethernet cable, I don't know if the FASLink works too as I do not have it.

Yes as I said you do not need a midi cable or interface. If you set the Axe FX in 'USB Adaptor Mode' you can transfer the sysex to and from the MFC using the ethernet cable, I don't know if the FASLink works too as I do not have it.
I may have to do some home work, I have had no luck with my xl and fas link to do this, but works every time with a midi cable. I may be missing something though, I am far from being good with computer stuff.

Just looked at the help in mfc edit tools and it reads in red that it will "not work" with fas link you most use a midi able.

I'm trying to use MFC Edit with the Axe, and don't have a USB to MIDI cable, I was wondering if it was possible to use the Axe as the interface cable per say, until I get one.
There's an option on the Help menu called Axe-Fx as USB/MIDI Interface. Click it. Follow the detailed instructions. NOTE: There is a scrollbar to the right of the help window - be sure to scroll all the way down and read all the instructions.
Axe-Fx_As_USB-MIDI_Interface.png

There's an option on the Help menu called Axe-Fx as USB/MIDI Interface. Click it. Follow the detailed instructions. NOTE: There is a scrollbar to the right of the help window - be sure to scroll all the way down and read all the instructions.
View attachment 30337

Just to clarify, I have an MFC mk1 and the only connection between it and anything else is a Cat6 cable.
I regularly back up the sysex from my MFC to my computer and when I have edited it I send it back from MFC Edit to the MFC via the ethernet cable.
Again I have no other connections to my MFC just the single Cat6, and with the Axe Fx in MIDI Adaptor mode I can communicate to the MFC via the ethernet.
I am happy to make a video showing the process if anyone requires.

Just to clarify, I have an MFC mk1 and the only connection between it and anything else is a Cat6 cable.
I regularly back up the sysex from my MFC to my computer and when I have edited it I send it back from MFC Edit to the MFC via the ethernet cable.

Huh? This makes me wish I had a MkI!

Wonder why Gary is saying in his notes it won't work?
Thanks for the great video and post Komrad20.

That's a great question - I copied the notes from the MFC-101 manual. I don't have the three different MFC-101s to test on. If FAS says they don't encourage that usage then who am I to contradict them in my documentation? That being said (here it comes) I do a lot of stuff myself with the connectivity and powering of the MFC that "isn't supported" but I don't promote that because it is mostly newbies that have difficulty with simple connections and adding the variables introduced with connections that are not recommended just delays their path to success and increases their frustration. Once you know your way around the gear, MIDI and ports, there are some things you can do that I wouldn't encourage newbies to try. It ultimately frustrates the user and increases the support workload for many.

Back
Top Bottom