WALKTHROUGH: Dialing in amps on the Axe-Fx

@Yek: to me, when you are tweaking using a guitar cabinet through a SS power amp, you also have to tweak a little the Thump. It helps a lot to get the punchy low end on stage.

For example a real Mesa DR has a lot of "Thump", I don't know if it's really because of the power amp interaction with the speakers or it's something else in the design. But it sounds like Axe-Fx's thump.

GiRa said:
Great stuff!

The Yek's how-tos page on the wiki is becoming pretty huge, maybe it's time to split it in more pages.

151kb long, still shouldn't take long to load.

I like it being a single page, makes it easy to use Find.

GiRa said:
@Yek: to me, when you are tweaking using a guitar cabinet through a SS power amp, you also have to tweak a little the Thump. It helps a lot to get the punchy low end on stage.

For example a real Mesa DR has a lot of "Thump", I don't know if it's really because of the power amp interaction with the speakers or it's something else in the design. But it sounds like Axe-Fx's thump.

Hi,
It's an adv.param that defaults to zero these days (since firmware 9) and doesn't seem to get much use overall. That's why it's not in the walkthrough. I can be wrong though.

yek said:
It's an adv.param that defaults to zero these days (since firmware 9) and doesn't seem to get much use overall.
In my limited experience I find it very useful only when you are using a SS amp with a real guitar cab, not when you go only direct.

In theese days I'll check it deeper, doing some A/B with some real amps and I'll report back.

As I said in the old forum (not migrated to the new one):

Very interesting thread, for both newbies and power users.
Thank you Yek for all you do for the community!!

You too man. :)

BTW, anything new in your preset collection on Axe-Change that I need to check? Can't keep up with you ;-)

I did the A/B comparison with some amps: the Thump isn't necessary at stage/rehearsal volume.

To me you need some only at low volumes, but I have to investigate more.

Holy f*%&. Yek you are THE man!!!!

And thanks as well to Jay for all the technical expertise. The axe-fx forums are by FAR the most informative guitar/bass forums out there thanks to guys like you both!

Tip: if you're dialing in a "new" amp sim, try this.

Leave all tone controls at noon, turn up Low Cut (try 120 as default) and use only Presence to add brightness if needed. Don't be afraid to go all the way up to "10" with Presence (f.e. Marsha) or keep it low (SLO).
If Presence isn't enough or if the tone suffers from high values, press Bright if not already enabled and adjust Presence.

You may find that this is all you need tonewise. Maybe turn down bass if needed.

Nearly all my main presets are like this now.

Last edited:
Great Tips!
Thanks for all your hard work!

Sadly, all your tip links in the wiki that go back to the old forum no longer work :(

Damnit, you're right. Have to convert them. Hmm.....

Back
Top Bottom