WALKTHROUGH: Dialing in amps on the Axe-Fx

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Following an earlier discussion about recreating amp tones, I think there's need for practical information on the topic. Below is an attempt to create a walkthrough, in an effort to help. To be added to the Wiki after refining the content. Purpose is to provide general and basic information here, leaving in-depth or personal tips and tricks to other threads.
Please contribute, suggest, comment. etc.

EDIT: the walkthrough is now part of the WIKI. It's also too long to be able to post and edit it here.

> Walkthrough: Dialing in amps on the Axe-Fx

Of course you can still post suggestions etc. here.

Last edited:
Re: Dialing in an amp/cab on the Axe-Fx: Walkthrough

Thanks for putting this together. There should be a "Thank you Yek" button here. :cool:

Yek showing how you do it. That's how you approach teaching. Well done Yek.

AWESOME!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Very helpful for a newbie like me, and the step-by-step method just cant be beat for clarity.

Some questions:

For #7 - can you post a link here on how to dial in live vs. bedroom? Im sure there is some article out there outlining this- if so a link would be helpful.

For #20 -
If you turn it up beyond the amount that the amp sim can handle, the tone will get mushy, or bass tones will get farty and flubby.

Is there any more info on that? IE, why this happens, what models it happens with and at what settings, etc?

Re: Dialing in amps on the Axe-Fx: WALKTHROUGH

Applaus, Applaus!!!!!

Now keep it simple down to the essence!

And who got you inspired to do this??

:mrgreen:

I would offer a caveat about use of the "Drive" parameter in the cab block. Because it does not benefit from the same (cpu-intensive) nonlinear processing as the amp and drive blocks, setting it to a high value can cause audible aliasing.

Rather than use the drive parameter in the cab block, my suggestion is to add a drive block immediately following the cab and tweak to taste.

Jay Mitchell said:
I would offer a caveat about use of the "Drive" parameter in the cab block. Because it does not benefit from the same (cpu-intensive) nonlinear processing as the amp and drive blocks, setting it to a high value can cause audible aliasing.

Rather than use the drive parameter in the cab block, my suggestion is to add a drive block immediately following the cab and tweak to taste.

Done.

I think everybody known his axe and this forum for longer time agree that the well-kept "How To`s" from YEK (and good only knows how many hours he worked for this extract of forum-knowledge) should be a "MUST READ" for every knew axe owner in my opinion.

I think it would be awesome if YEK could agree and the FAS team could integrate the wiki link in the manual of the axe! With commendation to read it carefully when questions are open or tricks are needed!

Further more this post should be fixed in the forum!

Yek - you`re the man! Thanks!

Excellent post Yek, very clear. Jay talked about using a tone generator and a oscilloscope in another thread regarding the speaker resonance frequency, but the majority of us don't have that tool. It would be great if somebody could chime in about a way to hear what happens when the frequency is right while tweaking that parameter. It seems that this parameter is very important for accuracy.

yeksnotes.jpg

Very nicely done. :cool:

Yek great help even for some non so newbie(simply to lazy or not enough time for tweaking and usually use the wrong buttons)

Happy NEW YEAR

Roland

Can't thank you enough for putting this together. It cleared up several things I've been wondering about.

+1000 to your awesomeness rating for this. :)

This is excellent Yek.

Should be the 1st stop for anyone who just received the new unit.

Happy New Year!

Ron

Edit: I agree we should have the Speaker Resonance Freq for the stock cabs somewhere in the WIKI.

Very cool! Best tip by far, for me, is turning master volume down on high-gain amps. Thanks for the effort!

Yek... thank you for taking the time (again!!!) to helping our your fellow Axe-fx users... your posts alway contain positive valuable information.

Great Axe-fx user guide...

Thank you all for the kind words. Really, as always I'm just collecting and organizing the stuff. I'm not the genius behind most tips and info. This checklist is something I wanted to do for some time. And yesterday was a good day to start.

Back
Top Bottom