Walk me through how you use scenes

YES! This is the type of thread (among other recent threads) that can be used to show how the AxeFX differs from any other competitors and how it offers SO MUCH more than just what is on the surface.

Totally agree! One of the main reasons I'm here is that I got to a point with my old rig (amp and GIANT pedalboard) where I was concentrating on pedal switching and settings more than I was on interacting with the music, my bandmates and audience.

Scenes, alone, has been a game-changer for me. I also use 1 preset per song along with 8 scenes and the rest as IA switches on my MFC. It sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, but for scenes as a whole, the complexity makes everything simple.

I use the II live in two bands. One a Pink Floyd tribute band, the other 70-80's classic rock covers. After lots of variations and trying different stuff, I settled on Bank Size 0, using Bank up/down to traverse presets, and really use scenes a lot

Bottom row of switches is Scenes 1-5, the rest IA's. For the general cover band I use the scenes like the OP suggested: Clean, Clean w/Rotary, Broken, Rocking, Lead; Then tap on IA's on the fly as needed to tweak scenes for spur of the moment jamming. I can play the whole night on one preset in the 70-80's cover band, with clever use of the scenes. I will have copies of this preset with different amps if I feel like using a different amp some nights.

For my Floyd cover band, I approach as a preset-per-song, but with all the Floyd presets using GLOBAL Amp, Cab, Filter, Chorus, Wah, Reverb, Flange & Drives. The only change that's not Global for the Floyd presets are the Delays, as each song has very different delay times and mixes. Some other differences might be swell effects, etc.. Every song preset in this collection has scenes set up for Intro (s1), Verse (s2), Chorus (s3), Lead (s4), & Alt Lead (s5). I then just arrange my Floyd presets to the setlist order for the night and bank up/down moves me through them in order as each song changes.

Gosh, the AXE and MFC is soo incredibly flexible. HTH Good luck!

The only change that's not Global for the Floyd presets are the Delays, as each song has very different delay times and mixes. Some other differences might be swell effects, etc..
Just a suggestion, but for those Delay blocks which are identical except for Mix and tempo, you could use a Global block then save the tempo in the preset and use a Scene Controller for managing the Mix parameter. As I say, just a suggestion.

Just a suggestion, but for those Delay blocks which are identical except for Mix and tempo, you could use a Global block then save the tempo in the preset and use a Scene Controller for managing the Mix parameter. As I say, just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion. I initially thought of trying that. However I do us Scene controllers for adjusting the drive level on a Tube Driver into the Hiwatt for rhythm or lead tones. Because that can also be dynamic within the songs (think Gilmour used two of them in different placements, and two PI's too!). So I run one Tube Driver, and one PI, XY each of them and control the Drive levels with a scene controller. That leaves me with one scene controller, which isn't enough to control the differences in the delays I need song to song. Actually I should say, it can be done, but the complexity of determining the exact time and mixes for each song's(preset) via a scene controller was too daunting. I wanted to be able to quickly tweak and refine the delays (still a work in progress) based on Gilmours actual settings. I just thought direct placement and settings vs controllers was a better idea.

Ran this last weekend. Had a sound guy who supposedly worked for RUSH for 10 years (friend of our drummer). He scoffed at the AXE at first, insisted on micing my CLR(s) (lol). I got no sound check. After the show ended, he came out visibly worked up. Then proceeded to praise, praise and praise some more my playing and the sound the Axe generated. "That sound you had" "Oh man!!!" hahaha. Made me feel good.

Thank you though. Op sorry if this derailed your thread! :-|

Last edited:
In addition to what I noted in Post #4, I thought I should mention this:

I keep my presets organized so I can switch to Stomp Box mode, instead of scenes, and using Bank 5 each IA 1 is clean; each IA 2 is mild breakup, etc....... progressively clean to dirty/left to right.

This way if I scroll through a bank, in Stomp Box mode, I know the leftmost is always the cleanest of that Bank and the rightmost is the most OD/Disto of that Bank.

I am much like Starfighter, with a few subtle differences. I have a preset per song, bank size zero. I use preset mode, (didn't see the advantage to song mode with bank size zero, but maybe I should look at that?) I also don't use the reverse order, (But that's a good idea and I'm going to do that today! Thought of it before, but just never did it. Smart one that Starfighter...)

A couple of pedal board notes:
I cut a 1 short piece of 1/2" PVC pipe, painted it black, and siliconed it onto my MFC to protect my "edit" switch from being accidentally triggered by my fat clumsy feet when I hit "bank up" which I do after each song.

I have 5 scenes, set up as: 1. Intro 2. Rhythm 3. Lead 4. Solo 5. Special
Songs always start on intro (duh...) so that will always be whatever tone you hear first. On songs that only have one guitar sound, that's all there is. But if it's a clean sound, or some special thing, then ya, that's what you get.
The difference from lead to solo varies by song. Sometimes Lead is just like Rhythm with a few db of volume to cut through on little breaks. Sometimes it's a more aggressive tone, or a "wet" tone. Solo is for just that. Special is for long delay sounds, or out there FX needs.

Of course I also have all of my IA's set up, and I have those doing different things that from time to time 5 scenes won't cover. I have a talk box switch that sends my signal through my GCX switcher out to my talk box. I also control my Voiceworks+ vocal processor with my MFC. I run 3 expression pedals. 1 on the left (volume) and 2 on the right (wah/whammy and FX, which does anything from tone morphing to delay mix, ray gun sounds, or artificial feedback)

Agree, with bank size 0 preset mode on the MFC will be basically the same as song mode. However, I use Set Mode on the MFC, and I use MFC Edit to edit my set lists in the MFC. If you use Preset Mode, you will need to rearrange the order of your presets each time you want to change up the set list. With MFC Edit, you easily define presets to Songs in the MFC which you then use to create up to ten set lists which are then stored in the MFC. Editing and changing these in MFC Edit is a breeze, and allows you to keep your Axe FX presets arranged the way you want them irrespective of the next set you are going to play.

I actually owned the MFC several years before discovering Songs and Sets... kinda embarrassing. Thanks to MFC Edit, this has really added to the value of the Axe/MFC for me.

To make it short, Scene feature has been an essential point on my decision to purchase the Axe FX II.
Of course amp/cab sim are the best out there, but this Scene feature is very unique.

As a lot other here, one preset per song, then 8 scene available.
As I have a controller (own made ) with all 8 scene reachable, I just switch on the Scene I need during the song.

My basic template is:
1. Basic tone
2. Some extra oomph, like a boost pedal
3. Nasty fuzz

4-5 are used if needed, only in couple patches. For example add reverb for a special pitch block for that one solo that's needed once per gig.

More great info, Chris I'm definitely going to check out your video in fact I have an hour to burn at work so I'm gearing up right now.
On the downside, I just SOLD my MFC101 lol.............................
I know I will take A LOT of flack for this, but I'm going back to my old standby the Rocktron MIDIMATE. Why you ask?
1. Much smaller/lighter/easier to transport ALTHOUGH IT IS LONGER... I'm going to purchase a bag that can fit the MM and all of my cables for different rig situations. Believe me, in the long run it will be lighter than my MFC + EV-1 rig.
2. Money (as usual). I honestly cannot believe it but somehow my gear debt = $0!!! And I own 3 amazing performance/recording guitars (MIJ 62RI Tele, MIJ 62RI Strat, Gibson R4 Black Beauty), the AxeFX II, an amazing Taylor 526e for all acoustic gigs, a fantastic PA that can handle ANY room and is very transportable, an amazing recording rig around my MacBook Pro... even a cool but modest light rig for the band... Not sure how it happened, but I'm EVEN STEPHEN!!!
3. You may laugh at the MM but it's powerful. I have used it doing 2 scenes (on an I/A, Scene 1 and Scene 8) which is all I would really need for scenes. I have 4-5 basic patches AND I can still hit at least 4-5 IA's. Hell, I even have an acoustic patch setup with the LOOPER and because the II let's you assign multiple FX/actions to the same CC# I'll have full use of looping for my acoustic gigs.

It sounds funny but the MM is actually the perfect fit for my needs. If only it was just a little bit shorter in length. I also have the 7 PIN cable so my one cable across the floor rule is still in play!
Just wanted to update.

EDIT: Oh yea, I might not even worry about expression pedals anymore. I noticed some really neat stuff using a WAH with envelope as the controller (copied someone's autowah setup). I'm going to try and really dig into this and see if I can come up with actions that just "happen" vs. ever really needing to stomp on anything :)
One mountain to climb (which I have already successfully messed around with) is MM into II with MIDI THRU into Behringer XR18 (my digital mixer) into MacBook Pro controlling Ableton Live, etc... for starts / stops of backing tracks and possibly even MIDI guitar for true synth type stuff that will be SICK!!!

don-t-keep-calm-and-make-a-scene.png

I have one preset for each song I am playing. Bank size on the MFC-101 is zero, so I use the MFC in song mode (thanks, MFC-edit) with a reverse setlist and switch to the next preset/song using bank down switch (easier than bank up, since it is at the bottom of the MFC). Or I just use my iPad with Setlist Maker.

I have my scenes arranged in the order I play them for each song, so I just switch SCENE UP (which is programmed to the bottom switch on my MFC EXT module) for every scene change. Thus, scene 1 may be intro, scene 2 may be first verse, scene 3 may be first chorus, scene 4 may be second verse, etc. In other words, scene 2 may be the same as scene 4 for example. But that means that all I have to think about while playing through the song is hitting "SCENE UP" at each scene change. And I rarely need more than 8 scenes for a song.

IA1-8 on my MFC are configures as SCENE 1-8, mostly to display what scene I am on. And - for the rare preset which requires more than 8 scene changes, it allows me to jump between the different scenes as required.

I also have a springloaded Mission SP-1 (with toe-switch), and I have configured the toe switch to SCENE UP as well. This allows me to change scene while riding the pedal for any effect I might be using.

The remaining IAs on my MFC are configured to my most used effects (drive, delay, reverb, etc) - and are there mostly as on/off-indicators. I almost never use them, as all my songs are organised in the way I have described. They come in handy when rehearsing though, when I might want to switch off drive and/or delay when practising a part.

This setup means I will only use two switches playing through a set; BANK DOWN for the next song - and SCENE UP when required during the song. Great stuff, and it allows me to concentrate more on my playing - which I REALLY need to :)

(A couple of songs need two presets, but then they are arranged in reverse order so I just hit BANK DOWN iso SCENE UP when required)

This exactly how I do it down to the Mission Pedal

i feel kind of dumb asking this, but i think i need some confirmation. i downloaded a nice 5153 patch called "existence is futile" I wanted to use that as scene 1 and then i wanted scene 2 to be patch number 273 "bouncing echoes." so this isn't possible because the routing is different correct? i tried copying and pasting each block from 273 into scene 2 and then noticed that scene 1 was overwritten. do i just have to add both amps and effects into both scenes and then disable them depending on the scene?

i feel kind of dumb asking this, but i think i need some confirmation. i downloaded a nice 5153 patch called "existence is futile" I wanted to use that as scene 1 and then i wanted scene 2 to be patch number 273 "bouncing echoes." so this isn't possible because the routing is different correct? i tried copying and pasting each block from 273 into scene 2 and then noticed that scene 1 was overwritten. do i just have to add both amps and effects into both scenes and then disable them depending on the scene?

Please watch the video link I posted earlier in the thread. Scenes are not different presets.

Another data point for you - I use a single patch with multiple scenes for my shows (musical theatre). I'm able to get through 90 minutes of varied material using a single patch, I sometimes have one or two specialized patches for things like throwing in the FX loop or some other specialty that uses too much CPU to have in the main patch.

My scenes are typically:

1 : acoustic patch using my piezo
2 : clean
3 : clean with chorus / phase
4 : crunch
5 : crunch with chorus / phase
6 : lead (high gain)

That leaves me two scenes in case I need to quickly jump to something. Otherwise, I have the other switches as On/Off or X/Y for whatever effects I need exposed.

My biggest issue is managing volume levels. I need to play with a dynamic range much wider than I can get with picking and I need the tones to stay on point so I can't really use my volume knob (e.g., I need a quiet high-gain sound one second, and then ear splitting the next).

So, my other main feature is an expression pedal attached to Out1 so I can vary the level to match the orchestra/singers. I have a second expression pedal that might change from scene to scene for wah, volume swells, bringing in pitch/delay effects.

I did a write up on my first AxeFX show a while back here:

Rig Rundown : Superstar | zazula.me

I have a much better acoustic patch using some, ahem, found IRs, but that is for another discussion...

Back
Top Bottom