Waitlist Email

How is the FM3 holding you over.. I have a unique situation.. I am in Brazil right now and things are a little more expensive down here. I will be moving here soon and I will only have one chance to send things I own as a household shipment that is not subject to import duties and taxes.. by a little more I mean 2 to 2 and a half times more. So if I can by it at US prices before I get my permanent residence down here then I can bring it with me without having to pay the import duties and taxes. If not, it is a crapshoot whether I would be able to bring it as a carry on and not get charged for those taxes and import duties by customs at the airport. I will be back in the states in a week or so and then I have 6 months until I can come back here. I want to get an fm3 so I can play around with it while I am waiting for those 6 months to end and hopefully for the fm9 to become available. I am on the list at 10 pm Aug 29th... On one hand I can have the fm 3 and if the fm9 doesn't become available I can just keep the fm3 if it does what I want it too, On the other hand.. how hard is it to resell an Axe fx III ...
It serves my needs well! I usually have very basic patches though mind you. Drive, amp, reverb, delay, cab. Never have run out of space!

I will find out soon enough. I ordered one today.
Coming from someone who has two big box strymon delays, two big box strymon reverbs, big box eventide reverb, source audio ventris, jackson audio overdrives, etc on my board, empress echosystem, .... the FM3 is VERY VERY good.

VERY good.

Anyone know about official updates on the FM9 from Fractal though? Seems itd be easy for them to check in and update even if its months of saying "still waiting." what exactly is the hold up? no chips?

I will find out soon enough. I ordered one today.
Generally your patches can easily accomodate" compressor, 2 drives, 2 delays, 1 plex reverb, 1 reverb, and a looper, easily in the FM3.

You wont be able to select the pitch heavy plex presets in this config but you learn quickly how to build out a preset.
You also oddly learn with every option available I find it easier to be minimal. Realizing you dont need two drives, or two delays, or two verbs.
Where usually thats all I use.

I think there ar elike 43 drive pedals in the FM3 alone? I could be wrong but i have spent hours just switching between different drives, almost every one sounding incredible and different. Enjoyable hours too.

Anyone know about official updates on the FM9 from Fractal though? Seems itd be easy for them to check in and update even if its months of saying "still waiting." what exactly is the hold up? no chips?
“Easy”? You haven’t spent a lot of time in manufacturing I’m guessing.

They’ve already told us they’re working on getting parts and that they’ve had their suppliers agree to send parts then back out. How could they foresee that?

They might say something about it, but it’s important to understand that that information is usually considered company-confidential in most companies, and is not to be discussed outside their walls. It’s grounds for termination at every place I worked.

We have no need to know, ever, so, if they do say something, it’s just one more chalk mark on the board for how amazing they are.

Generally your patches can easily accomodate" compressor, 2 drives, 2 delays, 1 plex reverb, 1 reverb, and a looper, easily in the FM3.

You wont be able to select the pitch heavy plex presets in this config but you learn quickly how to build out a preset.
You also oddly learn with every option available I find it easier to be minimal. Realizing you dont need two drives, or two delays, or two verbs.
Where usually thats all I use.

I think there ar elike 43 drive pedals in the FM3 alone? I could be wrong but i have spent hours just switching between different drives, almost every one sounding incredible and different. Enjoyable hours too.
I have a feeling the FM 3 will do almost everything I need it to expect for the dual amps. I have never been an "I need a kitchen sink preset" sort of person. If I like the FM3 I will certainly get the FM9 but only because I want to experiment with guitar sound design, not because I am going to be missing anything for everyday playing and enjoying my guitars... I am downgrading from a dual amp, large pedal board setup to headphones direct into a daw setup due to moving to Brazil soon. Eventually I might be able to set up a home studio with studio monitors, but for now I just want to get back a little of what I had before. I have great headphones, so I can get the amp in a room effect easily. Fostex TH-X00 mahogany headphones move enough air that you can get past the fletcher-munson effect pretty quickly. They are like wearing large speakers on your head. N E Ways, the FM3 is on a truck for delivery as we speak. It will be a long day waiting patiently.

I have a feeling the FM 3 will do almost everything I need it to expect for the dual amps. I have never been an "I need a kitchen sink preset" sort of person. If I like the FM3 I will certainly get the FM9 but only because I want to experiment with guitar sound design, not because I am going to be missing anything for everyday playing and enjoying my guitars... I am downgrading from a dual amp, large pedal board setup to headphones direct into a daw setup due to moving to Brazil soon. Eventually I might be able to set up a home studio with studio monitors, but for now I just want to get back a little of what I had before. I have great headphones, so I can get the amp in a room effect easily. Fostex TH-X00 mahogany headphones move enough air that you can get past the fletcher-munson effect pretty quickly. They are like wearing large speakers on your head. N E Ways, the FM3 is on a truck for delivery as we speak. It will be a long day waiting patiently.
Yes I too have two amps, and a giant stereo strymon laden pedalboard.

Beside not having "two amps" in the FM3 (kind of a big deal... kind of) you can still run ONE amp at your stereo split. So basically the amp inside the FM3 into all the stereo effects inside the FM3.

I can confirm the FM3 blows everything away, matches it, etc. I am not a salesman and because of personal "issues' I have not sold my giant pedalboard (thats too big a leap atm), but I can confirm the only "difference" if any is slight and really comes down to "flavour." The FM3 is definintely way better than people say, and thats saying something.

If you like "Strymon" style reverbs, btw, there are 5-6 new "cloud" verbs in the FM3.

I think youll find you can do alomost anything in the FM3, and if needing that extra "10%" them FM9.
Im on th eFM9 list and Id probably not be able to resist buying one to see what its like to even have MORE,
but ther eis a size difference... there is a physical size difference too.

“Easy”? You haven’t spent a lot of time in manufacturing I’m guessing.

They’ve already told us they’re working on getting parts and that they’ve had their suppliers agree to send parts then back out. How could they foresee that?

They might say something about it, but it’s important to understand that that information is usually considered company-confidential in most companies, and is not to be discussed outside their walls. It’s grounds for termination at every place I worked.

We have no need to know, ever, so, if they do say something, it’s just one more chalk mark on the board for how amazing they are.
Ive spent my whole life almost in it.

We have preshift meetings once a week if not once a day.

I was saying "I think itd be easy for Fractal (small company, owner is on these message boards, other workers are on these message boards) to quickly say, "nothing new on the chip front, just waiting still" etc. That... would be easy.....

I dont thin kFractal is worried about "NDA's" and all their "government contracts" or their "competitors - of whom there are? None? Line 6? Neural? WGAF about those companies). I also buy RED cameras similar small company similarly like when they gives you any kind of update, when they dont as they havent done lately (RED) and you start thinking WTF does this comany still even exist??????

Yeah it woud take two seconds for an update, even if its, "yep still working through day one of reservations, still havent gotten our chips off the ship" etc. I dont even need that much info. Just general GENERAL update/timeline/anything. THAT should be EASY.

We are all users/ or customers or reservation holders here.

We have preshift meetings once a week if not once a day.
Then you would be an employee of the company and would have signed non-disclosure terms as part of your employment papers. They understand you have a vested interest in situations inside the company that affects the company’s well-being, so they tell you.

Would their terms allow you to speak openly with the general public about strategic issues?

Are you employed by Fractal and do you have a need to know?

I was saying "I think itd be easy for Fractal (small company, owner is on these message boards, other workers are on these message boards) to quickly say, "nothing new on the chip front, just waiting still" etc. That... would be easy.....
They already said that. Do they need to say it every time someone asks?

I dont thin kFractal is worried about "NDA's" and all their "government contracts" or their "competitors - of whom there are? None? Line 6? Neural? WGAF about those companies). I also buy RED cameras similar small company similarly like when they gives you any kind of update, when they dont as they havent done lately (RED) and you start thinking WTF does this comany still even exist??????
Fractal is a small company in a tiny market amid several competitors who are much bigger. Yamaha, who owns Line 6 is a very large corporation, and Kemper is large, and both are big by normal measures. And those companies are small compared to the ones that Fractal is competing against for their core chips.

Fractal had chips on the way and got outbid by the big companies and the chips went elsewhere. Fractal can’t change that and is looking for alternatives, but we have no idea what that entails. It’s in Fractal’s best interest to NOT share information about procurement and delivery problems as that information can be used against them; It’s a strategic advantage. That some other company in a totally unrelated field that is not using the same chips says something about their ability to deliver has no bearing on Fractal.

Yeah it woud take two seconds for an update, even if its, "yep still working through day one of reservations, still havent gotten our chips off the ship" etc. I dont even need that much info. Just general GENERAL update/timeline/anything. THAT should be EASY.
As I said, they’ve already done that, in this thread.

We are all users/ or customers or reservation holders here.
And that gives us what right to know?

I recommend starting at the top of the thread and searching for entries by various Fractal employees, it’s what the rest of us do when we want authoritative information for all things Fractal.

Last edited:
Yes I too have two amps, and a giant stereo strymon laden pedalboard.

Beside not having "two amps" in the FM3 (kind of a big deal... kind of) you can still run ONE amp at your stereo split. So basically the amp inside the FM3 into all the stereo effects inside the FM3.

I can confirm the FM3 blows everything away, matches it, etc. I am not a salesman and because of personal "issues' I have not sold my giant pedalboard (thats too big a leap atm), but I can confirm the only "difference" if any is slight and really comes down to "flavour." The FM3 is definintely way better than people say, and thats saying something.

If you like "Strymon" style reverbs, btw, there are 5-6 new "cloud" verbs in the FM3.

I think youll find you can do alomost anything in the FM3, and if needing that extra "10%" them FM9.
Im on th eFM9 list and Id probably not be able to resist buying one to see what its like to even have MORE,
but ther eis a size difference... there is a physical size difference too.
Man… I have been going through presets, my fingers hurt (have not played in over 6 months) and I have a smile from ear to ear. I have not even started trying to make my own patch yet. I can only imagine what this thing sounds like moving some air. I already know I will never need more but I still want dual amps. My set up was a Maz 8 with a v30 and a Knotty Pine Princeton RRI with a 12” 90W Celestine Creamback. Those two amps were like peanut butter and jelly. I have been sold on dual amps every since. It is not just the stereo.. it’s how they come together and create a unique sound you cannot get from a single amp. I used a Boss ES8 to control everything.. switch from one to another, both in stereo, wet/dry, dry/wet(swap which amp was wet) and never got tired of how I could use the two amps individual characteristics to create new tones. The FM9 sounds like a Goldilocks setup for someone like me for sure. I am completely sold on Fractal audio now. Seems that aside from cpu the only real limitation is your imagination and understanding of how to craft a sound.

Greetings,
Really just curious if there is a forecasted date when the next batch of FM9s might ship? I have been on the FM9 waitlist since last year (I forgot what month), and have fortunately been getting by fairly well with my FM3......but the FM9 is enticing. I know that the global supply chain issues have had major impacts, and I'm not trying to fan flame wars.....just wondering if a future shipment target date for the FM9 might be crystalizing?

My waitlist email confirmation email came on August 28th 2021 the same day I sent it. The news release for the FM9 was on August 27, 2021. I have no problem waiting 12-18 months for it, with the situation being what it is with these chips. Maybe we should reduce our dependence on China for all the chips, which is what I understand the situation to be in the US and Europe, but I could be wrong and it could be a more complex, nuanced situation.

Greetings,
Really just curious if there is a forecasted date when the next batch of FM9s might ship? I have been on the FM9 waitlist since last year (I forgot what month), and have fortunately been getting by fairly well with my FM3......but the FM9 is enticing. I know that the global supply chain issues have had major impacts, and I'm not trying to fan flame wars.....just wondering if a future shipment target date for the FM9 might be crystalizing?
ONLY Fractal can say. It's status quo if they don't say anything different.

Fractal has said that once they're able to begin shipping this thread will be closed. THAT is the thing I'd watch for.

Then you would be an employee of the company and would have signed non-disclosure terms as part of your employment papers. They understand you have a vested interest in situations inside the company that affects the company’s well-being, so they tell you.

Would their terms allow you to speak openly with the general public about strategic issues?

Are you employed by Fractal and do you have a need to know?

They already said that. Do they need to say it every time someone asks?

Fractal is a small company in a tiny market amid several competitors who are much bigger. Yamaha, who owns Line 6 is a very large corporation, and Kemper is large, and both are big by normal measures. And those companies are small compared to the ones that Fractal is competing against for their core chips.

Fractal had chips on the way and got outbid by the big companies and the chips went elsewhere. Fractal can’t change that and is looking for alternatives, but we have no idea what that entails. It’s in Fractal’s best interest to NOT share information about procurement and delivery problems as that information can be used against them; It’s a strategic advantage. That some other company in a totally unrelated field that is not using the same chips says something about their ability to deliver has no bearing on Fractal.

As I said, they’ve already done that, in this thread.

And that gives us what right to know?

I recommend starting at the top of the thread and searching for entries by various Fractal employees, it’s what the rest of us do when we want authoritative information for all things Fractal.
This kind of response is, IMNSHO, what drives people away from Fractal - or at least, its community: lots of attitude and expressions such as “the need to know”, as if we’re discussing state secrets or military tactics. Jeez, it’s an electronics company that manufactures musical instruments. Lighten up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom