Waitlist Email

Maybe we should all chip in double the cost of an FM9 and put that capitol in a new semi conductor facility right here in good 'ole U.S.A.? I hear that there's a shortage. Heck, we could probably triple the asking price of a good semi conductor right about now...

Maybe we should all chip in double the cost of an FM9 and put that capitol in a new semi conductor facility right here in good 'ole U.S.A.? I hear that there's a shortage. Heck, we could probably triple the asking price of a good semi conductor right about now...
It’s a lot bigger task than that.

The reason so many are outside of the U.S. is because of the incredible number of dangerous chemicals and gasses used to make the chips that the U.S. doesn’t want in the soil, water or air. Starting a fab takes years and years to build then get it qualified to make the chips.

I worked in them for years and by the time they’d get one built the crisis will be over and odds are good we’d be on the next generation chips.

"1. First and foremost, be civil and courteous. Attacks, insults or harassment of others will not be tolerated."

I could say that reading is obviously not your strong suit, but that would be an insult, wouldn't it?

Sorry, I can't help but get a little upset when I see people write insulting things and then pretend they are being perfectly nice.
Please be so kind and get back to us if you can also contribute something substantive. Or are you also of the opinion that 2599 is „nearly double“ 2100?

You already lost this one, dude.
K5YZ8fA.gif

It’s a lot bigger task than that.

The reason so many are outside of the U.S. is because of the incredible number of dangerous chemicals and gasses used to make the chips that the U.S. doesn’t want in the soil, water or air. Starting a fab takes years and years to build then get it qualified to make the chips.

I worked in them for years and by the time they’d get one built the crisis will be over and odds are good we’d be on the next generation chips.
Greg,

I live in New Albany, OH (NE side of Columbus) and you may have heard that Intel is building a new fab here to the tune of around $10B with 10k new jobs projected. Tell me more about the "...incredible number of dangerous chemicals and gasses" :oops:

Greg,

I live in New Albany, OH (NE side of Columbus) and you may have heard that Intel is building a new fab here to the tune of around $10B with 10k new jobs projected. Tell me more about the "...incredible number of dangerous chemicals and gasses" :oops:

Proper disposal of those toxins is part of why it costs more to produce products like that in the U.S. That's partially why there are no vacuum tube (or TV, or smart phone, etc.) factories here. There are even more products that are assembled here, using components built elsewhere. You simply can't build a lot of that in the U.S., and still sell at prices that can compete with what's being produced in Asia (or Central/South America)

I don't think Intel's decision contradicts the impact/cost of pollutants. The chip shortage could be a factor, with the effect on supply and pricing making it possible for U.S. production to be more competitive. More likely though is the fact that in the last year or so, our federal government (i.e. we taxpayers) have decided to subsidize part of the cost of building new fabs. I'd be curious to know how much Ohio's citizens are having to bankroll this. We saw this in Kansas with aerospace manufacturing, where companies were profitable (with the help of taxpayer dollars), and once the subsidies stopped, the jobs went away. It's a shell game ;)

Last edited:
Greg,

It’s well documented, do a search.

Here’s a starting point: https://www.linde-gas.com/en/whats-happening/specialty-gases/index.html They list five or so. Look up the gas names on Wikipedia or elsewhere for descriptions of the toxicity. One gas, I forget which one, if ignited, burned so hot it could burn through concrete with a colorless, odorless, flame.

There are acids that are the stuff of nightmares. We had several cases where workers had a single drop land on them and they got rushed to the hospital because the drop would eat through flesh to the bone.

A couple different major electronics factories near where I grew up, that made custom ICs, had the dubious distinctions of becoming super-fund sites for hazmat spills and ground water contamination. We didn’t think about it as kids, because we were busy being kids, but I have some different feelings about it now that I have kids and have watched how we treat the planet.

Multiple times I arrived at work to find the building surrounded by emergency vehicles, news helicopters hovering over the site, firemen and paramedics walking through the building, because of a leak of this or that. Ah, the good ol’ exciting days.

It's OK to continue to talk about the waitlist. When we begin sending invitations again, I may close this thread and start a new one, but meanwhile some camaraderie may help with the difficult situation we all find ourselves in. We're doing backflips to secure parts to build and ship more FM9 units and look forward to when we can tell you about how many small successes finally added up to the one success that matters: more invitations.

It's OK to continue to talk about the waitlist. When we begin sending invitations again, I may close this thread and start a new one, but meanwhile some camaraderie may help with the difficult situation we all find ourselves in. We're doing backflips to secure parts to build and ship more FM9 units and look forward to when we can tell you about how many small successes finally added up to the one success that matters: more invitations.
This must be a joke. New products from many manufacturers, from apple to line 6 are being released by the thousands and more, and you are 7 months after announcing “available now” with only a few hours of waitlisters served bragging of doing backflips. Every product announcement of yours feels like a catastrophe with waitlists and people “agonizing” over the inability to simply purchase your products. Not to mention worldwide dealers who should be grateful if they get their first units after a year. Every time it’s the same story. Fractal is considered a company who value their customers by always improving their software but actually your production division is exactly the opposite. Yeah, we’ve all heard about chip shortage, apparently your competitors never heard of it. I can get into a store in my country and buy a Neural quad cortex, a Kemper or any of line 6’s products and be out of the store with the unit in my hands in 5 minutes.

I can get into a store in my country and buy a Neural quad cortex, a Kemper or any of line 6’s products and be out of the store with the unit in my hands in 5 minutes.

Go ahead. It's about making yourself happy and obviously waiting for Fractal isn't doing that for you, so pick an alternate and go with it. Your passive-aggressive diatribe threatening "why I ought'a" accomplishes nothing useful.

But, you don't seem to have a good understanding of how supply allocation occurs, nor a good idea of the relative sizes and budgets of the companies you mentioned.

Electronic parts, especially DSP, especially during periods like now when the supply is constrained, go to the companies with the deepest pockets and who can pay the price demanded by the manufacturer. Currently that'd be automobile makers then other big electronic product manufacturers and the chips that are being made are those that they request. It's "supply and demand" in action.

Because Fractal Audio is privately held, they don't have to report the same information others do, but based on a quick search of company information, one site said they have less than $5M in revenue, and Dunn and Bradstreet said they had "$678,550 in sales". Let's say Fractal has $2,839,275 which is the average between the two estimates.

Neural DSP has $5.7M+ in funding but that has to hold them over lean times, it's not annual sales, but they also have their software plugin sales to buffer them.

Kemper Gmbh has an estimated $4M+, but that value was for only Kemper-Amplifiers, but there's also Virus synthesizers, which are owned by the same company, so we'll say $4M as a minimum.

On the other hand, Line 6, who is owned by Yamaha with ¥408B+ revenue, AKA $3,418,009,132.

Above them are the automobile manufacturers and I'm not even going to look for their information because they dwarf the music industry.

So, who is going to get chips in a bidding war?

Yet, in spite of being the smallest, Fractal is leading the pack as far as technology.

Back
Top Bottom