Waitlist Email

Unless you're going for the FM3 or FX3 as an alternative, and can order now, I'd wait for the FM9. All three units are great, but the FM9 is excellent for an all-around choice and mix of features and capabilities.

Nobody knows how long it'll take, but a year wait seems way too long. Again, with the FM3 wait there were major extenuating circumstances, and, as they worked their way through the list we were seeing the progress moving faster and faster until they were jumping many days at a time. We've already see the FM9 list move from a few minutes to over ten minutes/day.

PS - If you're a pro, especially if you're working in a commercial studio, go for the FX3. If you're just getting into modelers or need to do fly-dates or carry a lot of gear at once, the FM3 + FC6 is an excellent combination, especially with the Studio Slips FM3+FC6 deluxe bag; I helped design that bag and it's made to make it easy to travel. Otherwise, go for the FM9.
Actually I have been using Helix for the last 6 years and am pretty satisfied with it, physically it's larger and heavier than it needs to be and line 6 seem to be content to rest on their laurels as far as that goes.
I recently tried and sold the quad cortex just right around the time the fm9 was announced and Finally fractal was offering something Interesting to me so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I have no interest in the fm3 as I love running two amps in stereo and have no interest in the FX3 because I don't want to carry it around. So really for me it's the FM9 or nothing as far as fractal goes.

We will see what happens I guess but the longer I have to wait the better the chances i spend that money on something really dumb like an SG.

We will see what happens I guess but the longer I have to wait the better the chances i spend that money on something really dumb like an SG.

Having just bought an SG, I resemble that remark! :tearsofjoy: I don't think it's working for me, though. So far, I can't see why I would pick it up instead of my LP. There's a circuitboard in the cavity, so not an easy pickup swap. But, even unplugged, everything is pushed toward the mids, light on bass and treble. Not as balanced as the LP. I played one at a store and really liked it, but at home, not working for me. It might go back. We'll see, I guess. YMMV.

Actually I have been using Helix for the last 6 years and am pretty satisfied with it, physically it's larger and heavier than it needs to be and line 6 seem to be content to rest on their laurels as far as that goes.
Line 6, alas, I remember them well. Been there and done them, but I can't imagine them ever coming up with a product that'd catch my eye again. They lack imagination and the drive that we see regularly from Fractal. I like my FM3+FC6 better than I did any/all of my Helix units, and the FM9 or FX3? Oh hell yeah!

You can't compare the FM3 wait to the FM9. They're in different circumstances, the chip makers, the shipping companies, and Fractal learned a lot about getting things done from then until now.

When we were waiting for the FM3, all hell was breaking out, and nobody knew what to expect. We had lock-downs that stopped everything necessary to build the units. That's different from now.

And on top of all the things you listed, the FM3 wasn't shipping when the waitlist was announced. Don't remember how long it took but it was many months after the announcement that it ended up shipping.

FM9 was shipping the day it was announced.

And on top of all the things you listed, the FM3 wasn't shipping when the waitlist was announced. Don't remember how long it took but it was many months after the announcement that it ended up shipping.

I want to say it was three months for the FM3. The FM9 was shipping to the movers and shakers first, so we didn't see the normal people getting them until about mid September, but it was still less than a month.

Line 6, alas, I remember them well. Been there and done them, but I can't imagine them ever coming up with a product that'd catch my eye again. They lack imagination and the drive that we see regularly from Fractal. I like my FM3+FC6 better than I did any/all of my Helix units, and the FM9 or FX3? Oh hell yeah!
Yeah, I get it you like fractal.

Geez.

Having just bought an SG, I resemble that remark! :tearsofjoy: I don't think it's working for me, though. So far, I can't see why I would pick it up instead of my LP. There's a circuitboard in the cavity, so not an easy pickup swap. But, even unplugged, everything is pushed toward the mids, light on bass and treble. Not as balanced as the LP. I played one at a store and really liked it, but at home, not working for me. It might go back. We'll see, I guess. YMMV.
Yeah, I've done this a few times. I always think I need an SG because they look so cool, then I get one and I keep playing Les Pauls and sell the SG.

One year later, buy an SG.

Geez?

Fractal has proven, over many significant updates to the firmware, that they know what they’re doing, and, as you said…

“Geez” indeed.
"As far as that goes" refers to their hardware. Which is chunkier and old and in need of a refresh.

Which is why I'm looking at the fm9 and why I looked at the quad cortex.

Line 6 updates frequently and not even that long ago put out a massive update that was definitely a game changer.

The idea that those guys who paved the way for modeling and paved the way for fractal and neural DSP to be taken seriously, lack imagination or drive is just nuts.

NVTS...nuts.

I'm not saying fractal hasnt done any of the things you say they have. If they didn't I wouldn't be considering this unit at all.
Are you just here to be negative and piss and moan about FAS? Go buy a Helix and get on their forum!
Me?

And when the FM3 waitlist started, there was no other floor unit available from FAS. The AX8 was no longer shipping, and its wait list was transferred to the FM3. The FM3 was also their first floor unit based on the newer paradigm. Several factors related to demand for the FM3 that aren't shared by the FM9.

Like many others, I don't expect to be waiting nearly as long for the FM9. There's no way of knowing of course, especially with the state of the world right now, but FAS seem better than most at adapting.

Yeah, I've done this a few times. I always think I need an SG because they look so cool, then I get one and I keep playing Les Pauls and sell the SG.

One year later, buy an SG.
:tearsofjoy: Well, this is my first--and one way or the other will be my last--but it's good to know it's not just me. To me, right now, an SG sounds like a Les Paul with a head cold. And maybe slightly pissed off about it. I think it's probably going back.

Of course (back on topic), it's tempting to skip the waitlist and put the SG money toward the full FX3, since portability is not really a concern for me. But time will tell.

I recently tried and sold the quad cortex just right around the time the fm9 was announced and Finally fractal was offering something Interesting to me so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I have no interest in the fm3 as I love running two amps in stereo and have no interest in the FX3 because I don't want to carry it around. So really for me it's the FM9 or nothing as far as fractal goes.

Resting on their laurels in terms of being larger and heavier? The FM9 is almost the same size as a Helix despite having fewer footswitches and no expression pedal. Also the Helix has 6 different form factors if you count the pod go (not sure what that is to be honest).

Unless you meant "resting on their laurels" for amp modeling I'm really not sure that makes any sense. The newer amp models in the Helix are definitely better than the older ones, but they haven't updated any of the old ones as far as I can tell. So I'd agree if that's what you meant.

I think there are two places line 6 is behind the curve, cabs/IRs, and the A/D/A hardware. I still routinely use Helix native, and it’s a good tool. But I use a third party IR loader so I can use IRs longer than 2048 samples (ie closer to FAS ultraRes), and a high quality DI and interface.

Neural DSP is coming up the curve, and will definitely have some cool offerings soon (I love their plug-ins).

But as far as real hardware goes, FAS all the way. They sound great, I love the FC controllers, and the channel switching on each block gives you a lot more mileage from a simple chain.

Back
Top Bottom