wah won't turn off! Dang it.

Jeff Engler

Inspired
This has only happened a couple times, always at the wrong time. At a gig. Grrrrr. Usually there is no time to mess around and try to correct the issue. When I get home and set up, it works like normal.
Sympton:Has only happened at a gig.The preset works fine when loaded. Once I use the wah, it stays on even in the heal down position. Restarting AX8 does not solve the issue. Going to another preset and back does turn off the wah, but rears its ugly head once the wah is touched again. My other exp pedals work like normal. No time last night to dig into menus or hook up fracpad to check settings. A couple of weeks ago when this happened I was able to look at settings and everything was still set correctly as I had left it. I guess I have more troubleshooting to do. I use 4 exp pedals, only the wah uses the auto start function. 2 Moogs 1 FAS and 1 Dunlop mini. I'm getting ready to set up my rig and see if the problem arises again, so far not it hasn't, at home.
Any suggestions? Running 8.02.

there may be some thing effecting the pedal calibration when you set it up at the gig. try raising( or lowering depending on park position) the engagement point a bit in the modifier.

Could it be an issue with the expression pedal. Is it worth connecting to one of the other one for a while and seeing if the issue appears again?

I have a couple Moogs and they got me on two different occasions. Both happened during transportation. Once the switch on the bottom got flipped and the other the pot switch on the side got turned. Both obvious after you figure it out.

Thanks for the replies.
I'm set up at home now. Problem gone , as usual.. I can not get the problem to repeat at home.
I'll try tweaking the modifier to make it possibly more travel friendly?.
At the gig I did unplug the cable entirely and re-plug, which didn't help.
None of the switches were changed on the moogs.
All I can think of is different electricity at these venues is causing the issue. IDK.
Next time I'll try to use another pedal entirely. Usually I don't have time and also I don't want anything else to get wonky on me by messing around.

Raise the Offset value in the wah control modifier from 0 to something like 5-10 percent. I had this issue with another effect i used autoengage on and this solved it completely. This is shrinking your efective pedalway but with 5% the difference is to small to notice

Raise the Offset value in the wah control modifier from 0 to something like 5-10 percent. I had this issue with another effect i used autoengage on and this solved it completely. This is shrinking your efective pedalway but with 5% the difference is to small to notice
I'm in the crybaby, same issue - not turning off. Raising the offset value didn't help. For me it was the "off" value. The off value was set high (95%) rather than low. Setting the "off" value to a low amount, like 5% (5% is the minimum allowed), fixed this. When my pedal toe is up, this equates with a low off value, and that's when I want the wah to turn off. Most presets start with the right value, so I hadn't noticed this.

Last edited:
In my home studio, my wah engages without there even being a pedal plugged in. When I view the controller, the little dot is jiggling around all slightly. Very odd.

Try:

1. Verify on board pedal settings.
2. Re-calibrate pedal with the Axe8
3. Set auto engage per suggestions on this post
4. Bypass wah and save

Also:
Check "Scene Revert" settings. Page 46 on the Ax8 manual.

In my home studio, my wah engages without there even being a pedal plugged in. When I view the controller, the little dot is jiggling around all slightly. Very odd.

I found that when I'm at a gig and pedal plugged in everything works fine. When I get home and pedal not plugged in the wah was engaged. After reading the manual (I know "crazy talk") I found that turning PC Reset On - would reset wah value to zero and no wah when pedal not plugged in. Default setting is Off

upload_2017-11-11_9-23-46.jpeg

I'm having the issue where when the pedal isn't plugged into the jack, the wah is on and I can't get it to turn off. The initial value of the External pedal in the MIDI settings is set to 0%, so I don't understand why the wah won't default to being off when nothing's in the jack. I tried the PC reet idea but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

try to bypass the wah and resave the preset with the wah in the bypassed state.
No luck - as soon as I unplug the wah, it's on by default. Weird thing is the control shows it going to max when the wah is unplugged:
g0Jfmw1.png

this is even though I have the default External control set to 0% in the MIDI settings, which, if I understand it right, should make this control the equivalent of the pedal in the heel-down position, bypassing the wah. I don't get it. I also tried setting the default value to 100% just in case, but same result.

No luck - as soon as I unplug the wah, it's on by default. Weird thing is the control shows it going to max when the wah is unplugged:
g0Jfmw1.png

this is even though I have the default External control set to 0% in the MIDI settings, which, if I understand it right, should make this control the equivalent of the pedal in the heel-down position, bypassing the wah. I don't get it. I also tried setting the default value to 100% just in case, but same result.
Are you unplugging it with the unit already on?

A pedal port with nothing connected is read as 100%. This makes the init. values (almost, see step 3 below) irrelevant for pedal ports, only taking effect for Ext Ctrls set to a MIDI CC or "none". You can't expect wah to stay bypassed while you unplug a pedal. Here's what you can do:

1. Enable PC RST. (Only necessary for "position" autoengage types, harmless but unnecessary with "speed" types.)

2. Verify the preset is stored with the wah bypassed in each scene. If PC RST wasn't enabled before, you'll need to save after step 1 then switch to another preset and back to have front panel bypass control.

3. To avoid engaging wah on first preset at power-on, you may need to set init. value to 100%. If it's like the Axe-FX, the apparent sequence is (init. value takes effect, preset loads, pedal port monitoring begins). By making the init. value 100% you prevent the eventual 100% pedal reading from being interpreted as controller movement.

A pedal port with nothing connected is read as 100%. This makes the init. values (almost, see step 3 below) irrelevant for pedal ports, only taking effect for Ext Ctrls set to a MIDI CC or "none". You can't expect wah to stay bypassed while you unplug a pedal. Here's what you can do:

1. Enable PC RST. (Only necessary for "position" autoengage types, harmless but unnecessary with "speed" types.)

2. Verify the preset is stored with the wah bypassed in each scene. If PC RST wasn't enabled before, you'll need to save after step 1 then switch to another preset and back to have front panel bypass control.

3. To avoid engaging wah on first preset at power-on, you may need to set init. value to 100%. If it's like the Axe-FX, the apparent sequence is (init. value takes effect, preset loads, pedal port monitoring begins). By making the init. value 100% you prevent the eventual 100% pedal reading from being interpreted as controller movement.

ah, this makes sense to me - I'll give it a shot, thanks!

I've been having trouble with this lately too but I just figured it out. I had set up my MFC101 (I know I'm in the AX8 thread :D) to have backup expression pedal slots for volume on 3 and wah on 4 as well as having them on 1 and 2 normally. Basically just if something broke, I could bust out my spare expression pedal, plug it in and everything would be back to normal (Dunlop DVP3 was giving me issues for a while). I just turned the MIDI CC's back to OFF for slots 3 and 4 and now everything works just fine. Hoping that helps someone out there!

Back
Top Bottom