Wah washes your brain and f*'up your ears

Piing

Axe-Master
Yesterday evening I spent a while playing with the WahWah (it all started with John Norum's version of The Loner)

Then I went to continue with my recordings at the DAW, but all the tones that I was previously using did sound like shit. After few minutes tweaking I realized that the Wah probably messed with my ears, so I left it there.

This morning all my original presets sound good again. No need to tweak anything

:D

Yesterday evening I spent a while playing with the WahWah (it all started with John Norum's version of The Loner)

Then I went to continue with my recordings at the DAW, but all the tones that I was previously using did sound like shit. After few minutes tweaking I realized that the Wah probably messed with my ears, so I left it there.

This morning all my original presets sound good again. No need to tweak anything

:D
And now we know why Kirk thinks he has to put wah wah over everything. Once you pop you cannot stop. After some wah session all his tones sound like shit, so the only solution is to add even more wah.

Ear fatigue happens, with or without wah. For me it’s usually gain related.

I was not playing loud. The same low volume as usual, through headphones. I think it is mid-tone fatigue, AKA Kirk's syndrome

Sometimes you just gotta stop tweaking and step away. Fresh ears interpret tone differently than fatigued ears. When the ears are tired it seems like no amount of tweaking results in any improvement. That tends to result in a lot of wasted time and frustration.

As for Wah, I love a good subtle Wah. I think Micheal Schenker does it best.

I have inadvertently had the Wah engaged and wondered why everything sounded so "thin."

Oh, and John Norum is great! What an underrated and overlooked player---who also has
killer pipes!! :)

Back
Top Bottom