Wah Suggestions

Hey all!

I'm trying to get a wah set up to sound freaking awesome. The stock Wah presets haven't been doing it for me. The Crybaby gets too screechy, whereas the Vox stuff is awful subtle.

I'm not going to claim that they're inaccurate or whatever, but does anybody have any kickass wah settings they would like to share? Or just suggestions on making a Wah awesome?

Remember wah placement has a pretty big impact on your results.
Before or after a drive or (null filter) volume block etc.

If you feel there's too much hi or low end, alter hi/lo frequencies.
That's basically what was done to the blocks posted above. (Values were taken
from the wah manuals on Dunlops site.)

These are some wah blocks I gathered a while ago. Stick 'em in your blocks folder. If you use axe edit, they should show up in your blocks library. I know they work with my Axe II, I don't know if they will work with other versions. They will give you some variety.

What do you mean stick them in your blocks folder and they should show up in the blocks library? I would still use Fractal Bot in order to upload these right?

What do you mean stick them in your blocks folder and they should show up in the blocks library? I would still use Fractal Bot in order to upload these right?

You should save them in specific folder (check Wiki Fractal Audio), afterwards your Axe Edit will recognise them. You'll see them if you click on wah block and if you than open "block" and than library.

If you are using Axe Edit, Look for the Fractal Audio Folder. On Mac, the path is Documents/Fractal Audio/Axe Edit/Blocks (Windows should be similar?). Put the downloaded files in the Blocks folder or the Wah subfolder. When you launch Axe Edit, select the Wah Block then look in the lower left corner for the blocks menu.

I don't think you can use Fractal Bot.

don~joe beat me to it. What he said.

You've put it better...:)

If you are using Axe Edit, Look for the Fractal Audio Folder. On Mac, the path is Documents/Fractal Audio/Axe Edit/Blocks (Windows should be similar?). Put the downloaded files in the Blocks folder or the Wah subfolder. When you launch Axe Edit, select the Wah Block then look in the lower left corner for the blocks menu.

I don't think you can use Fractal Bot.

don~joe beat me to it. What he said.

Thanks for sharing the wah blocks. i'm using a spring loaded mission expression pedal and i have the controller on auto-engage, got it on Ext 1 and no matter what i try, i can't get the wah to turn off after the pedal is back to the heel position. Any advice on how to get it to shut off completely? I've tried my other wah's and they turn off after releasing the pedal. Any help would be appreciated

That was it....it was 95%, changed to 5%....works like a charm now. Thank you so much for the help, much appreciated.

These are some wah blocks I gathered a while ago. Stick 'em in your blocks folder. If you use axe edit, they should show up in your blocks library. I know they work with my Axe II, I don't know if they will work with other versions. They will give you some variety.
Apologies for the thread resurrect!

Any chance you have these available for a recent Quantum?

BUDDA WAH
Fmin 350
Fmax 1800
Res 5.75
Track 7.99

DUNLOP EVH
Fmin 340
Fmax 2100
Res 5.75
Track 7.99

DUNLOP GCB-95
Fmin 437
Fmax 2135
Res 5.75
Track 7.99

PRO ANALOG SUPA QUACK
Fmin 460
Fmax 2142
Res 5.74
Track 7.5

MORLEY BAD HORSIE
Fmin 301
Fmax 1434
Res 4.37
Track 8.27

IBANEZ WH-10
Fmin 355
Fmax 2101
Res 3.54
Track 6.57

FULLTONE CLYDE
Fmin 369
Fmax 2369
Res 4.17
Track 5.08

JERRY CANTRELL CRY BABY
Fmin 400
Fmax 1947
Res 5.74
Track 6.50

Its interesting the Jerry Cantrell wah has a Fmin of 400. Having owned one, it was one of the deeper tuned aka low frequency wahs I've owned, so I'd of expected far lower values for the frequency sweep range. Not saying the values are wrong mind you, just surprised something like a Bad Horsie is at 301 and the Clyde is 369 etc,

BUDDA WAH
Fmin 350
Fmax 1800
Res 5.75
Track 7.99

DUNLOP EVH
Fmin 340
Fmax 2100
Res 5.75
Track 7.99

DUNLOP GCB-95
Fmin 437
Fmax 2135
Res 5.75
Track 7.99

PRO ANALOG SUPA QUACK
Fmin 460
Fmax 2142
Res 5.74
Track 7.5

MORLEY BAD HORSIE
Fmin 301
Fmax 1434
Res 4.37
Track 8.27

IBANEZ WH-10
Fmin 355
Fmax 2101
Res 3.54
Track 6.57

FULLTONE CLYDE
Fmin 369
Fmax 2369
Res 4.17
Track 5.08

JERRY CANTRELL CRY BABY
Fmin 400
Fmax 1947
Res 5.74
Track 6.50
I feel like I just hit the jackpot!

Last edited:
Its interesting the Jerry Cantrell wah has a Fmin of 400. Having owned one, it was one of the deeper tuned aka low frequency wahs I've owned, so I'd of expected far lower values for the frequency sweep range. Not saying the values are wrong mind you, just surprised something like a Bad Horsie is at 301 and the Clyde is 369 etc,
It seems that you're right about the Jerry Cantrell wah. According to the link that @benvigil posted, it's 320Hz. That's why I asked @Will Schut what his source was.

I've collected these settings over the years and I really can't recall where I found or obtained each individual setting. The ones I was able to compare to the real thing seemed to be in the ballpark though. But I never played a real JC, so if you say these settings aren't accurate I'm certainly not going to argue about that with anyone.

Had to look it up, and yes, 400 is off, but not by that much as you would think. Anyway, this is what I found in the manual:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/files/manuals/JC95_man_WEB.pdf

SPECIFICATIONS

Impedance

Input 1 MΩ

Output 10 kΩ

Filter Center Frequency

Heel Down 320 Hz to 390 Hz

Toe Down

Fine Tune Max 1700 Hz to 2070 Hz

Fine Tune Min 1050 kHz to 1270 Hz

Maximum Level

Input -11.5 dBV

Output +6 dBV

Maximum Gain at Center Frequency

Heel Down +18 dB

Toe Down +20 dB

Noise Floor*

Heel Down >97 dB

Toe Down >89 dB

Bypass Hardwire

Current Draw 1 mA

Power Supply 9 volts DC

Anyone have the info on the low Satriani wah?
I did one by ear & sounds pretty close, would love to see what the official specs are on it. I looked but couldn't find it anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom