Wah question when not plugged in

chasetenney

So I have a cheap expression pedal for wah only. My question is that if the pedal is not plugged into slot one then the wah is engaged wide open. Only once I plug the pedal in it turns off and goes to heel down auto engage how I have it setup. My only worry is that if the pedal goes bad then the WAH will be stuck on the entire show. I am not that familiar with editing through the AX8 direct and only through AXE Edit. Any tips or settings that I may have wrong. Thanks!

As far as I know, when an expression pedal isn't plugged in (ie no recived signal) the signal is either defaulted to 5 or 10, can't remember. Pretty sure it's to ensure that a preset with a volumepedal can still be used without plugging an expression pedal.

Check on the AX8 under Setup / IO / Midi
If I remember correctly you can set the initial value for the controllers (pedals). I recall setting the controller I used for volume to be 100% and the controller I used for the wah to 0% (as it is set for auto engage) to handle the case if I used the unit without pedal plugged in.

Edit: If you are using the auto engage for the wah then IIRC the wah block is set to be 'off" in the preset.

Last edited:
Also, I would suggest just making yourself familiar with how to edit that specific thing on the green screen - just practice at home doing it and then if you're at a show, at the very least you won't be stuck. It happened to me - I wish I would have taken the time to just make sure I knew how to fix it before the show - had to play a whole set with the wah on and it kinda sucked. :)

Back
Top Bottom