Wah Problems With Mastermind and RJM SP-1 Exp Pedals

Wondered if anyone else had seen a problem with their mastermind using the RJM SP-1 expression pedal to control the wah function. Currently when you depress the wah pedal it isn't smooth, but breaks over from bass to treble at around 50%. I've tried switching the TRS cables, tried switching the pedals, tried reassigning the wah and volume blocks. The volume works great, but for some reason the wah isn't smooth. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

the wah "control". it's set to extern 1, which is the pedal i have set up for it. The auto engauge is on slow speed, pc reset is off, the taper is log 30

i haven't had that problem ever with that gear. if it works in one block smoothly, it should work the same in the other.

if you can upload your Axe preset, we can make better guesses to the issue. some of us can look at your MMGT file too.

here's the preset. it says the file type isn't recognized for uploading the mmgt file. tried to upload the mmgt file to dropbox, but i don't have enough posts to let me put links in yet.

Attachments

• In a Funk.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
your Tracking value in the Wah block is quite high. have you tried with it lower? i think default is around 5, but i've had success lower around 3.

your Tracking value in the Wah block is quite high. have you tried with it lower? i think default is around 5, but i've had success lower around 3.

That tracking value of 8.8 must have been the default at some time since that's what all the Clyde Wah blocks on my presets are at. If I reset the block, I believe it goes to 7.5. At any rate, that preset is fine. It works fine for me. I using a Fractal EV1 or M-Audio through my Mastermind GT and that preset works as well as all of my presets. Oh, and I should mention the pedals are working through the GT the same as they worked through the MFC101 in terms of sweep and sensitivity (once the necessary cabling changes were done to account for the GT's reverse polarity).

So, the problem might be the expression pedal itself.

OP, have you ever used Mission expression pedals before or is this the first time? If the same expression pedal works fine for volume, but not for wah, then maybe you just don't like the taper of Mission's expression pedals (I don't particularly like it myself)? If so, you might be able to adjust the curve in the control tab to work better for you.
-
Austin

Last edited:
Thinking out loud... Take it for what it is

Did you calibrate the pedal on the mastermind?

using a TRS? (stereo looking vs mono)

Could it be a polarity issue... Are you original owner of pedal? Maybe someone swapped tip/ring in the pedal so would work with an MFC? or provided TRS cable with those swapped?

Wondered if anyone else had seen a problem with their mastermind using the RJM SP-1 expression pedal to control the wah function. Currently when you depress the wah pedal it isn't smooth, but breaks over from bass to treble at around 50%. I've tried switching the TRS cables, tried switching the pedals, tried reassigning the wah and volume blocks. The volume works great, but for some reason the wah isn't smooth. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I use the Mission RJM-pedal with the MM/GT all the time. Did you calibrate the pedal. Are you it's a Mission "RJM" pedal?

yes, using a mission rjm pedal with the trs cable. already calibrated. I'm not the original owner, but the original didn't do anything to the pedals. He barely used them. I looked inside, and the soldering all looks factory. This is my first time using a mission pedal, and I don't think it's the curve, because no matter what value you pick, even up to log 30 the effect is the same. The bass audibly switches to treble about 50% through the pedal. It's not a smooth sound by any means. I would think it would be the pedal, but I have 2 of them. I doubt they would have made a whole batch like this

RJM has a forum. Post your issue there, it may get solved earlier.

is it possible the expression jack is not set up for a continuous controller in the rjm? sounds like it is acting as a switch.

yes, using a mission rjm pedal with the trs cable. already calibrated. I'm not the original owner, but the original didn't do anything to the pedals. He barely used them. I looked inside, and the soldering all looks factory. This is my first time using a mission pedal, and I don't think it's the curve, because no matter what value you pick, even up to log 30 the effect is the same. The bass audibly switches to treble about 50% through the pedal. It's not a smooth sound by any means. I would think it would be the pedal, but I have 2 of them. I doubt they would have made a whole batch like this

Look at the control menu on the Axe FX unit itself. As you sweep the pedal, does the dot in the line move smoothly? If so, nothing is wrong and you just need to change the settings of the curve in the wash block to suit you. Not the log taper, the curve shape. The fact that this is a problem with wah only and not when the pedals are used to control volume suggests that there is no hardware problem.
-
Austin

Look at the control menu on the Axe FX unit itself. As you sweep the pedal, does the dot in the line move smoothly? If so, nothing is wrong and you just need to change the settings of the curve in the wash block to suit you. Not the log taper, the curve shape. The fact that this is a problem with wah only and not when the pedals are used to control volume suggests that there is no hardware problem.
-
Austin

its getting the midi signal on the axe fx with the green midi light on the display, but i think you and paranoid are on to something, because the dot on the line doesn't move at all. Is there a setting on the axe itself that might be doing this?

And that was it! Went into the axe and input the pedals under the "control" tab, then recalibrate the pedals under the "pedal" tab and that did the trick! Thanks to you all for the help! I'm sure this isn't the last time!

What device is the expression pedal connected to?

Pedal calibration on the Axe is only for the pedal port(s) on the back of the Axe-FX. That wouldn't solve an issue with a pedal connected to a MIDI controller.

Back
Top Bottom