Wah: parked and controllable in same preset?

Mutha Goose

Inspired
I have a tune that uses a parked wah position in the verses, but also a "sweeping" wah in the chorus. Ideally, I would like to be able to hold a control switch for the parked wah position, while still being able to use the expression pedal to use the wah "normally".

Right now, I am parking the wah where and when I need that, but that is highly variable and you can hear me shutting the wah off when I return the pedal to the home position.

X/Y doesn't work for this. Any other ideas?

I have a tune that uses a parked wah position in the verses, but also a "sweeping" wah in the chorus. Ideally, I would like to be able to hold a control switch for the parked wah position, while still being able to use the expression pedal to use the wah "normally".

Right now, I am parking the wah where and when I need that, but that is highly variable and you can hear me shutting the wah off when I return the pedal to the home position.

X/Y doesn't work for this. Any other ideas?
If you use different scenes for verse and chorus you could attach the control parameter of the wah to a scene controller, on fracpad you can then attach the exp pedal to the scene controller of your chorus scene and the control switch to the scene controller of your verse scene.

You cannot attach 2 modifiers to the same controller, it's either a control switch or an external pedal. Maybe you could try to use a separate filter block to act as a parked wah ?

If you use different scenes for verse and chorus you could attach the control parameter to a scene controller and with fracpad you can then attach the exp pedal to the scene controller for your chorus scene.

A scene controller is a modifier on its own, you cannot externally control the value of the scene controller but only preset its value for every scene.

Edit: except if FracPad provides some additional magic, of course.

A scene controller is a modifier on its own, you cannot externally control the value of the scene controller but only preset its value for every scene.

Edit: except if FracPad provides some additional magic, of course.
I'm almost sure you can with fracpad, it allows to attach modifiers to any parameter.

You can do this with FracPad and a scene controller. Assign the scene controller to wah "control" parameter. Go to the Scene Controller values (CTRL: SCENE) and assign pedal as source for one scene's value. Set another scene's value to the desired fixed wah control %. Now you'll have pedal control in one scene and fixed wah in the other.

There's another way to do this without designating scenes for wah type, keeping both styles available on any scene. A stopped triangle LFO's "B" output as wah control source can sweep the wah with pedal assigned as LFO's B Phase modifier (use FracPad). Control switch on LFO depth will force LFO value to 50% for fixed wah. (Note that the fixed freq. doesn't have to equal 50% on the pedal sweep or even be within the pedal sweep range. Wah control modifier offset/scale and LFO B Phase min/max will determine what LFO 50% equals and what freq. range the pedal covers.)

Can’t you set the initial state of the controller by scene and it shouldn’t change until you touch the pedal. Something to do with scene revert

Can’t you set the initial state of the controller by scene and it shouldn’t change until you touch the pedal. Something to do with scene revert

No, scene revert can't do that. A capable enough MIDI controller could, assuming noisy pedal data doesn't regain control randomly.

Back
Top Bottom