Wah on Earth am I going wrong?

Lee Servis

Inspired
Hi all,

I need some help using my Wah pedal (Fractal EV-1) with my new FM3... strange, as setting up a Wah (again, EV-1) with my FX8 and AX8 was so straightforward.

I connected the pedal, using the correct TRS cable and then calibrated the pedal, following the manual instructions... the only thing I did notice is in the manual it specifically says: "For pedal jack 1, set Pedal 1 Setup to "PEDAL 1 (EXP/SW TIP)".
On my FM3 it simply says "Expression Pedal 1"... which I'm sure doesn't make any difference??? And it was the nearest sounding option I could see on my FM3 to what the manual was directing me to do.

After calibrating the pedal I inserted a Clyde Wah into my preset and then did what I'd done with my FX8 and AX8: chose "Eternal 1" in the 'Source' box and then selected "Medium Position" in the 'auto engage' tab. Previously, on my FX8 and AX8, the Wah was set beautifully... kick down and it engaged, heel down and it disengaged. Perfect! But when I came out of this and was all set to go Wah funky, I noticed that the Wah block was now permanently in Bypass mode???? No matter what I did to un-Bypass it I couldn't.

I fiddled around a bit but can't remember exactly what I did, as well as repeated the process I'd successfully used on my other Fractal boards and all I got was a permanently Bypassed Wah, or a constantly engaged Wah. I'm sure there's a simple explanation to put me on the right path to Wah wonderment?

I'm sure I saw a YouTube clip, but if I did I cannot find it for the life of me now.

I will thank you all in advance - and wish one and all a very Merry Xmas - for anyone who (on Xmas Eve of all nights, lol) is able to help out with what is probably a very simple issue. Alas, I am a very simple man.
Thanks...

I do not have an fm3, but I will guess you have the external 1 on the bypass modifier , when you need it connected to the control modifier.

where exactly does it say this?

Setup > I/O > Pedal > Pedal 1 Setup

With that parameter set to a value of Expression Pedal 1, he needs to set the control settings in the Wah Block for the Source to be Pedal 1 (Exp/Sw Tip) as I stated above. It sounds like he has it set to External 1 as he did with the AX8.

Thank you all for your very rapid responses... without the unit in front of me it’s difficult for me to say: “Ah, yes that was it”. But you guys certainly seem like you know what the issue is. I’ll go through your posts again tomorrow once I’m back with my FM3 and let you know how it goes.
It all seemed like a straightforward process (one I’d done successfully before... albeit on two different units) so not sure how/where I’ve gone wrong... but it wouldn’t be the first time I have... or last time I do. Lol. Thanks again for your time, consideration and knowledge sharing.

ethomas1013.... a HUGE “thank you”. I did what you suggested and I now seem to have a fully functional Wah, which now only displays “Bypassed” once I disengage and put my heel to the floor.
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again... I love this forum - throw a ‘problem’ out there and you’ll (well I always have) get a solution back. Thank you to those wiser, more experienced heads out there who are always ready and happy to share their knowledge. Amen.

In the Control settings in the Wah Block, the Source should be set to Pedal 1 (Exp/Sw Tip).
this is just one way to do it, setting the modifier directly to the pedal jack.

i think what the OP was trying to do is set the Pedal jack to control External Controller 1, then setting the Source as External 1. this method can present more options, as using External Controller 1 is easier to use when changing setups when the physical pedal is connected to different things. but they both function the same way ultimately.

what may have been confused is the actual setup of the Pedal Jack itself, designating it as an Expression style and not as Switches. this is an additional step to the process that just needs to be done once, the first time. you don't have to do this step every time you want to control something in a preset.

Hi Chris... thank you for the additional info. It's very welcome as the more I delve into my Fractal gear (and I'm still very much on the tip of the proverbial ice-berg) the more I realise how flexible it is and that there are usually more ways than one to skin a cat.
I seemed to get confused when I went to the Wah block and, as ethomas1013 suggested, I was going for the wrong option with External 1.

You and I 'spoke' recently about something to do with my AX8 - I'd bought your Tutorial for the AX8 and have found it invaluable. So, thank you.

While I have your attention, lol, one last question you may be able to help me with: I regularly hear of guitarists using a Filter block at the end of their chain to give solos a boost, which I often use to good effect - no pun intended. But I was just wondering, other than boosting by, say 3db, is there anything else I should be doing with the Filter block? Or simply boost by 3db and leave the rest as default? I appreciate everyone's needs are varied and different, but wasn't sure if there were any other tips or tricks to be used with the Filter Block when boosting solos? Sorry for going off topic, but I thought I'd ask. As always, many thanks for your time sir.

I was going for the wrong option with External 1.
External 1 can be the correct option, if other areas are setup appropriately. I think a middle step was just missing. but as he suggested, you can always just directly assign the pedal jack as well, which works!

While I have your attention, lol, one last question you may be able to help me with: I regularly hear of guitarists using a Filter block at the end of their chain to give solos a boost, which I often use to good effect - no pun intended. But I was just wondering, other than boosting by, say 3db, is there anything else I should be doing with the Filter block? Or simply boost by 3db and leave the rest as default? I appreciate everyone's needs are varied and different, but wasn't sure if there were any other tips or tricks to be used with the Filter Block when boosting solos? Sorry for going off topic, but I thought I'd ask. As always, many thanks for your time sir.
when you boost everything, you're making all frequencies louder. sometimes when low frequencies get boosted, it makes the mix muddy. so i tend to cut some low end in the Filter block for my lead boosts. you can do the same for high end too if you want.

Wonderful stuff Chris. I did wonder about that, so thanks a bunch for clarifying... and makes a ton of sense. I’ll leave you in peace now to enjoy your Xmas. Have a good ‘un sir.

Back
Top Bottom