Bug? Wah not bypassed on unit boot

Poparad

Power User
I have my wah block saved in bypass in my presets and I have it set to external 3 with autoengage. In my system settings, I have external 3 set to default to 0% on boot. When I first boot up the unit, the wah block is always engaged, when it shouldn't be. If I change to another preset and back, it's bypassed correctly on load.

I have had a similar issue with delay. I developed a habit of reloading the preset on boot, though it seems to have gone away recently, possibly with a firmware update. I don't have this issue with wah, though.

redacting this as in-depth testing revealed various specifics

External Controller Initial Values do not affect Pedal Jacks. They are for MIDI only. Something about how Pedal jacks are at 100% on boot until a pedal is moved or preset is changed, I believe.

Not a bug, but probably a wish, though it has been like this for all units IIRC.

Last edited:
External Controller Initial Values do not affect Pedal Jacks. They are for MIDI only. Something about how Pedal jacks are at 100% on boot until a pedal is moved or preset is changed, I believe.

Not a bug, but probably a wish, though it has been like this for all units IIRC.
It's never behaved this way on my AxeFx II or my FM3. What would be the point of having the option to set the initial value if it's always just going to be 100%?

I'm not sure which setting you're referring to. Ignore redundant PC? Yes, on.

In the modifier menu, There is a parameter called "PC Reset" or "PC RST" depending on your firmware.

From the manual:
PC Reset sets the value for an external source when a preset first loads. This allows you to override the actual position of an external controller until it is moved or updated. To set the default value: after applying the modifier, exit to the Edit page. Notice that the value of that parameter can be edited as usual. If PC Reset is ON, the value you set and then save will be used from preset load until the source is changed (i.e. the pedal has been moved).

In other words when set to "ON" and you save the preset with the wah bypassed, every time that preset loads the preset will load with the wah bypassed regardless of where your expression pedal currently is.

In the modifier menu, There is a parameter called "PC Reset" or "PC RST" depending on your firmware.

From the manual:
PC Reset sets the value for an external source when a preset first loads. This allows you to override the actual position of an external controller until it is moved or updated. To set the default value: after applying the modifier, exit to the Edit page. Notice that the value of that parameter can be edited as usual. If PC Reset is ON, the value you set and then save will be used from preset load until the source is changed (i.e. the pedal has been moved).

In other words when set to "ON" and you save the preset with the wah bypassed, every time that preset loads the preset will load with the wah bypassed regardless of where your expression pedal currently is.
I have the same issue. I have a feeling it started with the latest firmware, but I could be wrong. I've had my FM9 since the first batch of invites and thought it all function properly at that time with Firmware 3, or whatever was the latest at that time. I've tried the PC Reset thing for quite a few months goofing around with it here and there and still can't get it to have the wah block in a bypassed state when my expression pedal is not attached.

Seperate Issue... also a thread related to it....
I think that the wah block changes your amp tone even when it's bypassed. I tested it out in Reaper the other day and listened back. It all could be a mental game as well... who knows.

I have the same issue. I have a feeling it started with the latest firmware, but I could be wrong. I've had my FM9 since the first batch of invites and thought it all function properly at that time with Firmware 3, or whatever was the latest at that time. I've tried the PC Reset thing for quite a few months goofing around with it here and there and still can't get it to have the wah block in a bypassed state when my expression pedal is not attached.

Seperate Issue... also a thread related to it....
I think that the wah block changes your amp tone even when it's bypassed. I tested it out in Reaper the other day and listened back. It all could be a mental game as well... who knows.
I thought similarly, but I came to believe it was the effect of the cab IRs. There is just a little bit of frequency effect in there to my ear, but not remedied by removing the wah block. Worse with some IRs. I will try removing the block again to see what I hear. I love the wah, though, so whatever happens it will stay in my presets.

It's never behaved this way on my AxeFx II or my FM3. What would be the point of having the option to set the initial value if it's always just going to be 100%?
i think it's for MIDI only, as it's in the MIDI menu. not for the on-board pedal jack.

with the Axe2, if you used an MFC, that was MIDI. not sure about the FM3 if you had it configured exactly the same way if your Auto-engage is set for Heel Down (5%).

Last edited:
this should not be possible. i have not experienced it as i have a Wah block off in my main preset all the time and no tone change is noticed, even when deleting it to make room for something else. uploading your test recordings could let others verify.

this should not be possible. i have not experienced it as i have a Wah block off in my main preset all the time and no tone change is noticed, even when deleting it to make room for something else. uploading your test recordings could let others verify.
Like I said, it could be a mental thing. I'll run it again through Reaper and upload it. Hopefully, I'll have time this evening.

redacting this as there were errors (did not consider POS vs SPD). see my next post below for in-depth testing and results.

summary: FM9 with Auto-Engage set to 5%, on Boot, the block will NOT be bypassed, compared to Auto-Engage at 95%. FM3 in the same setup will have the block bypassed at either Auto-Engage setting - this is different behavior between the 2 units.

--
i tested this on both FM3 and FM9. latest FW (6.02, 4.01)

Exp 1 Init Value is 0% in all cases
used factory preset 8 on both devices, which has a wah with Auto Engage
EXP 1 assigned to Pedal Jack 1 on both units

FM3 -
with Auto Engage set to 5%, heel down, preset saved, rebooting had Wah off and Control Parameter reported 10
with Auto Engage set to 95%, toe down, preset saved, rebooting had Wah off and Control Parameter reported 10

FM9 -
with Auto Engage set to 5%, heel down, preset saved, rebooting had Wah ON and Control Parameter reported 10
with Auto Engage set to 95%, toe down, preset saved, rebooting had Wah off and Control Parameter reported 10

Exp Init Value did not affect the on-board pedal jacks at all, otherwise the Control Parameter would be 0% as set there. it was not, but at 100%. Exp Init Value only affects MIDI.

--
so it does seem that the FM9 reacts differently than the FM3 in this regard. more below.

--
i remember it always being that with on-board pedal jacks, booting the unit with no expression plugged in, the Pedal Jack/Parameter was 100% (all the way on). it's this way so in case it controls Volume, it would be set to full, rather than muting your signal.

so if you had something with Auto-Engage set to 95% (toe down, basically 100%), it would still bypass the block as desired because it's as if the pedal was toe down on boot. but if you have Auto-Engage set to 5% (heel down, basically 0%), it would NOT bypass the block because the pedal (that's not plugged in) is at 100% on boot.

it's been that way a long time.

--
the FM3 does have different Pedal Jacks or at least firmware design if it's not a physical difference: FM3 pedal jacks can host 2 switches via TRS and has corresponding options in all Pedal setup menus (EXP/SW TIP vs SW RING).

this could be the reason for the difference.

or it's possible that at some point the FM3 was programmed to somehow ignore or respect Auto-Engage regardless of the Pedal Jack 100% position on boot. if so, perhaps the FM9 could have that as well, unless the Pedal Jack hardware difference does not allow it.

--
for now, if you have an Auto-Engage parameter set to 5% (heel down) and boot the FM9 without that pedal attached, you'll have to change presets at least once. another way is to open the Modifier screen Graph on either Edit or Hardware - it will update and turn off as expected.

the Devs would have to comment if this is expected different behavior between the 2 units. testing on an Axe3 the same way could add some more data, but i can't do that right now.

Last edited:
summary: FM9 with Auto-Engage set to 5%, on Boot, the block will NOT be bypassed, compared to Auto-Engage at 95%. FM3 in the same setup will have the block bypassed at either Auto-Engage setting - this is different behavior between the 2 units.

--
i tested this on both FM3 and FM9. latest FW (6.02, 4.01)

used factory preset 8 on both devices, which has a wah with Auto Engage
EXP 1 assigned to Pedal Jack 1 on both units

FM3 -
with Auto Engage set to 5%, heel down, preset saved, rebooting had Wah off and Control Parameter reported 10

FM9 -
with Auto Engage set to 5%, heel down, preset saved, rebooting had Wah ON and Control Parameter reported 10

Exp Init Value did not affect the on-board pedal jacks at all, otherwise the Control Parameter would be 0% as set there. it was not, but at 100%. Exp Init Value only affects MIDI.

--
so it does seem that the FM9 reacts differently than the FM3 in this regard. more below.

--
i remember it always being that with on-board pedal jacks, booting the unit with no expression plugged in, the Pedal Jack/Parameter was 100% (all the way on). it's this way so in case it controls Volume, it would be set to full, rather than muting your signal.

so if you had something with Auto-Engage set to 95% (toe down, basically 100%), it would still bypass the block as desired because it's as if the pedal was toe down on boot. but if you have Auto-Engage set to 5% (heel down, basically 0%), it would NOT bypass the block because the pedal (that's not plugged in) is at 100% on boot.

it's been that way a long time.

--
the FM3 does have different Pedal Jacks or at least firmware design if it's not a physical difference: FM3 pedal jacks can host 2 switches via TRS and has corresponding options in all Pedal setup menus (EXP/SW TIP vs SW RING).

this could be the reason for the difference.

or it's possible that at some point the FM3 was programmed to somehow ignore or respect Auto-Engage regardless of the Pedal Jack 100% position on boot. if so, perhaps the FM9 could have that as well, unless the Pedal Jack hardware difference does not allow it.

--
for now, if you have an Auto-Engage parameter set to 5% (heel down) and boot the FM9 without that pedal attached, you'll have to change presets at least once. another way is to open the Modifier screen Graph on either Edit or Hardware - it will update and turn off as expected.

the Devs would have to comment if this is expected different behavior between the 2 units. testing on an Axe3 the same way could add some more data, but i can't do that right now.
Thanks @chris

I'd suggest checking if Init. Value = 100% changes anything. On the Axe-FX II doing that plus A. enabling PC RST or B. using SPD type autoengage will avoid this 1st preset autoengage quirk/issue.

I'd suggest checking if Init. Value = 100% changes anything. On the Axe-FX II doing that plus A. enabling PC RST or B. using SPD type autoengage will avoid this 1st preset autoengage quirk/issue.
FWIW, that may be "my" issue. I switched from using "medium speed" auto-engage to "fast position" a while ago. I'll swap back this evening or tomorrow and check it.

the length of this post may lead to confusion.

Shorter Summary:
the FM9 does not respect INIT value for Pedal jacks on boot, while the FM3 does.
this leads to specific setups needed for the FM9, detailed near the end of this post.

--
ok i spent WAY too long comparing all this haha.

to address the quoted text, yes, on FM9, using SPD type with Init Value set to 100% when Auto-Engage is set to 5% does keep the Wah block off as (probably) desired when no pedal is present.

but that's just an outlier in the full data set and not the real problem or solution i think. perhaps it was the solution before (and for FM9 now) when INIT value was not really respected at the Pedal jacks.

variables for this test were
SPD vs POS Auto-Engage type
INIT Value at 0% vs 100%
Auto-Engage Off value at 5% vs 95%

all permutations of these have to be tested on both devices, and it took a while! i did not mix in PC Reset, which would have increased the time needed. there is a lot of nuance to all of this. i tried to be clear, but it does require understanding several details about the systems.

i will redact my previous long post as i did not consider SPD vs POS in those results, so they are flawed.

--
first, contrary to my previous statement, it seems that INIT does affect Pedal jacks. there was a long period of time where that wasn't the case, so i must have missed an update or just not registered that in my mind.

you can see/prove this when a pedal is not attached by changing the Init value while looking at the Control parameter, which shows the Control parameter changing in step with Init Value. (before the update on Gen3 hardware that allowed Parameters with Modifiers attached to show the exact value as it changes, and not just a static stored value, this was not possible to see, but may have still been happening.)

SUMMARY (further specific details at end of post)
it seems that the FM3 does respect the INIT value on boot (Wah Control is at 0% or 100% corresponding to INIT value setting), while the FM9 does not respect the INIT value on boot (Wah Control is always at 100%). this could be due to the hardware difference (FM3 can host 2 switches vs FM9 just one per jack), or could just be firmware/programming.

--
here's the data i collected:

AE = Auto-Engage Off value
External 1 set to Pedal 1 and Modifier in Wah Control is set to External 1
no pedal attached at boot
% signs removed for clarity

FM3 -
SPD type Auto-Engage
Init 0 AE 95 - Wah is OFF at boot, not really expected with these "opposite" settings, it's how SPD works
Init 100 AE 5 - Wah is OFF at boot, not really expected with these "opposite" settings, it's how SPD works

POS type Auto-Engage
Init 0 AE 95 - Wah is ON at boot, expected with these values
Init 100 AE 5 - Wah is ON at boot, expected with these values

So it seems on FM3 with "opposite" Init and AE:
SPD type "ignores" INIT and keeps the block off, not really expected with "opposite" Init and AE values
POS type respects INIT and keeps the block on with these "opposite" values, as expected

the way SPD vs POS "realize" when their threshold is passed probably explains this

FM9 -
SPD type Auto-Engage
Init 0 AE 95 - Wah is OFF at boot - matches FM3
Init 100 AE 5 - Wah is OFF at boot - matches FM3

POS type Auto-Engage
Init 0 AE 95 - Wah is OFF at boot. <-- does not match FM3 (this shows INIT is not respected at boot. Pedal is always 100% at boot)
Init 100 AE 5 - Wah is ON at boot - matches FM3

All of the above were with "opposite" values - INIT making the pedal Toe down and AE turning off at Heel down, and vice-versa.

--
testing "matched" values between INIT and AE Off value on FM9 shows this:

SPD
Init 0 AE 5 - ON, not expected (but happens because INIT value is not respected on FM9)
Init 100 AE 95 - off as expected

POS
Init 0 AE 5 - ON, not expected (but happens because INIT value is not respected on FM9)

(FM3 with same tests were all off as expected because values match and INIT is respected)

you can see here that the FM9 is basically forcing 100% for the External Controller at boot, as both INIT 100% results are as expected, but both INIT 0% results are not as expected.

you can further see this if you look at the Control parameter (in this case) on boot:

FM3 -
Init 0, Wah Control Value at 0 on boot
Init 100, Wah Control Value at 10 on boot

FM9 -
Init 0, Wah Control Value at 10 on boot

for FM9, once you change presets, open the modifier menu, or change the Init value, the Control parameter does "update" and follow it.

--
so ultimately the FM9 does not respect INIT value for Pedal jacks on boot, while the FM3 does.
if the FM9 (and possibly Axe3) could match behavior of the FM3, we could just match INIT with AE Off values logically.

summarizing the data above:

How to keep Auto-Engage blocks OFF on boot with current Auto-Engage Behavior:
In all cases
you want your Auto-Engage blocks OFF at boot
your Expression Pedal is not connected at boot
you set External Controllers to Pedal jacks and use these External Controllers as the Modifier Source

FM9
Auto-Engage Off value is 5% (Heel Down)
you MUST set
SPD type for Auto-Engage AND
set INIT value for that External Controller to 100%
(this is the weird one because FM9 does not respect INIT value, yet 100% INIT setting does the trick??)

Auto-Engage Off value is 95% (Toe Down)
can use SPD or POS type
INIT value doesn't matter (it's always at 100% on boot)
(because the FM9 sets the Pedal to 100% on boot and doesn't respect Init value, POS type for Auto-Engage works for 95% Off, but not for 5% off)

FM3
if using SPD type, INIT value does not matter (this is something to do with how SPD type works)
if using POS type, INIT value MUST be 0% (FM3 respects INIT value on boot)

if using SPD type, INIT value does not matter (just how SPD works)
if using POS type, INIT value MUST be 100% (FM3 respects INIT value on boot)

--
this took 2 hours to post :tearsofjoy::weary:
i hope it's correct as my brain is mush now

ultimately i still think this is not a Bug, but just the different units not matching in how they behave. a Bug is something the Developer deems "not right", and we don't know how the developers intend for this to work.

it would be a feature request to have the FM9 (and possibly Axe3, i couldn't test) respect INIT value for Pedal jacks, just like the FM3 currently does.

Last edited:
ok i spent WAY too long comparing all this haha.

to address the quoted text, yes, on FM9, using SPD type with Init Value set to 100% when Auto-Engage is set to 5% does keep the Wah block off as (probably) desired when no pedal is present.

but that's just an outlier in the full data set and not the real problem or solution i think. perhaps it was the solution before (and for FM9 now) when INIT value was not really respected at the Pedal jacks.

variables for this test were
SPD vs POS Auto-Engage type
INIT Value at 0% vs 100%
Auto-Engage Off value at 5% vs 95%

all permutations of these have to be tested on both devices, and it took a while! i did not mix in PC Reset, which would have increased the time needed. there is a lot of nuance to all of this. i tried to be clear, but it does require understanding several details about the systems.

i will redact my previous long post as i did not consider SPD vs POS in those results, so they are flawed.

--
first, contrary to my previous statement, it seems that INIT does affect Pedal jacks. there was a long period of time where that wasn't the case, so i must have missed an update or just not registered that in my mind.

you can see/prove this when a pedal is not attached by changing the Init value while looking at the Control parameter, which shows the Control parameter changing in step with Init Value. (before the update on Gen3 hardware that allowed Parameters with Modifiers attached to show the exact value as it changes, and not just a static stored value, this was not possible to see, but may have still been happening.)

SUMMARY (further specific details at end of post)
it seems that the FM3 does respect the INIT value on boot (Wah Control is at 0% or 100% corresponding to INIT value setting), while the FM9 does not respect the INIT value on boot (Wah Control is always at 100%). this could be due to the hardware difference (FM3 can host 2 switches vs FM9 just one per jack), or could just be firmware/programming.

--
here's the data i collected:

AE = Auto-Engage Off value
External 1 set to Pedal 1 and Modifier in Wah Control is set to External 1
no pedal attached at boot
% signs removed for clarity

FM3 -
SPD type Auto-Engage
Init 0 AE 95 - Wah is OFF at boot, not really expected with these "opposite" settings, it's how SPD works
Init 100 AE 5 - Wah is OFF at boot, not really expected with these "opposite" settings, it's how SPD works

POS type Auto-Engage
Init 0 AE 95 - Wah is ON at boot, expected with these values
Init 100 AE 5 - Wah is ON at boot, expected with these values

So it seems on FM3 with "opposite" Init and AE:
SPD type "ignores" INIT and keeps the block off, not really expected with "opposite" Init and AE values
POS type respects INIT and keeps the block on with these "opposite" values, as expected

the way SPD vs POS "realize" when their threshold is passed probably explains this

FM9 -
SPD type Auto-Engage
Init 0 AE 95 - Wah is OFF at boot - matches FM3
Init 100 AE 5 - Wah is OFF at boot - matches FM3

POS type Auto-Engage
Init 0 AE 95 - Wah is OFF at boot. <-- does not match FM3 (this shows INIT is not respected at boot. Pedal is always 100% at boot)
Init 100 AE 5 - Wah is ON at boot - matches FM3

All of the above were with "opposite" values - INIT making the pedal Toe down and AE turning off at Heel down, and vice-versa.

--
testing "matched" values between INIT and AE Off value on FM9 shows this:

SPD

POS

(FM3 with same tests were all off as expected because values match and INIT is respected)

you can see here that the FM9 is basically forcing 100% for the External Controller at boot, as both INIT 100% results are as expected, but both INIT 0% results are not as expected.

you can further see this if you look at the Control parameter (in this case) on boot:

FM3 -
Init 0, Wah Control Value at 0 on boot

FM9 -
Init 0, Wah Control Value at 10 on boot

for FM9, once you change presets, open the modifier menu, or change the Init value, the Control parameter does "update" and follow it.

--
so ultimately the FM9 does not respect INIT value for Pedal jacks on boot, while the FM3 does.
if the FM9 (and possibly Axe3) could match behavior of the FM3, we could just match INIT with AE Off values logically.

Conclusion with current Auto-Engage Behavior:
In all cases
you want your Auto-Engage blocks OFF at boot
your Expression Pedal is not connected at boot
you set External Controllers to Pedal jacks and use these External Controllers as the Modifier Source

FM9
you MUST set
SPD type for Auto-Engage AND
set INIT value for that External Controller to 100%
(this is the weird one because FM9 does not respect INIT value, yet 100% INIT setting does the trick??)

can use SPD or POS type
INIT value doesn't matter (it's always at 100% on boot)
(because the FM9 sets the Pedal to 100% on boot and doesn't respect Init value, POS type for Auto-Engage works for 95% Off, but not for 5% off)

FM3
if using SPD type, INIT value does not matter (this is something to do with how SPD type works)
if using POS type, INIT value MUST be 0% (FM3 respects INIT value on boot)

if using SPD type, INIT value does not matter (just how SPD works)
if using POS type, INIT value MUST be 100% (FM3 respects INIT value on boot)

--
this took 2 hours to post :tearsofjoy::weary:
i hope it's correct as my brain is mush now

ultimately i still think this is not a Bug, but just the different units not matching in how they behave. a Bug is something the Developer deems "not right", and we don't know how the developers intend for this to work.

it would be a feature request to have the FM9 (and possibly Axe3, i couldn't test) respect INIT value for Pedal jacks, just like the FM3 currently does.
Try setting one of the "External" controllers to listen to the wah controller's pedal jack, and use that External to control your wah. External controllers have the ability to set the start-up value. Might also work for the pedal....

Try setting one of the "External" controllers to listen to the wah controller's pedal jack, and use that External to control your wah. External controllers have the ability to set the start-up value. Might also work for the pedal....
the issue isn't about setting up a pedal to work with external controllers. not sure what this is referring to actually. i detail the issue with start-up value known as Init Value for External Controllers.

the issue isn't about setting up a pedal to work with external controllers. not sure what this is referring to actually. i detail the issue with start-up value known as Init Value for External Controllers.
The External controllers in the MIDI setup area of the glibal settings can be set to listen to the pedal jacks, not just MIDI CCs. They have an initial value you can set. It might work for your wah.

Back
Top Bottom