Wah keeps turning on when switch presets

I have a preset that has a wah in the chain.
The preset is saved with the wah off.
When I go to another preset and then back to the first, the way is on.
Any preset that has a wah in it, the wah will come on.
Can't figure out how to set the AXE FX so this does not happen.
Thanks

As s0c9 mentioned, you might want to check and see if the "auto-engage" parameter in the wah block is enabled. If so, the wah's bypass state will be controlled by the position of the expression pedal (or whatever controller is assigned to the wah).

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Wah_effect#Auto-engaging_the_Wah
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...ollers_and_modifiers:_Auto-Engage#Auto-Engage

Here are some threads with a few more ideas on similar issues.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wah-always-on-when-preset-changes.70940/
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...thout-even-being-plugged-in-not-a-bug.115030/

you need to save the wah block in a bypassed state "before" adding the controller and have pc reset engaged if using auto engage to have it remain off no matter were the expression pedal is parked upon preset change.

I've actually had this issue as well. As a beta tester, I'd normally report this but it's a random thing that I haven't been able to reproduce.

What I think it MAY be, is something to do with old wah sounds in the new wah block. I've since updated my old wah presets using the new wah block settings and resaved my sounds. I've not experienced this since, so it *may* have something to do with it.

Rich, try this for me. Resave one of your presets next to an old preset that hasn't been edited with new wah settings. While saving new wah settings, make sure the wah block is not engaged prior to saving if you use auto on. (Like the others have mentioned)

Try changing through presets and see if it happens with the new preset you just created and of course try switching into the old.one as well.

I'm going to do the same on this end to see if I come up with anything. If we both have the same results, I'll mention something to the guys that can make a difference in the bug department. Let's give it a few days and report any issues.

Anyone else experiencing this can jump on in as well. But in my experience, redoing my wah block and resetting it (just like we do amps with new firmware, cycle through the different wah's to load the new settings) stopped this from happening on my end. Could have been coincidence of course.

I have about 20 presets I haven't updated yet, so they will be a good test for this to see if it may be the issue. Again this is just a test and isn't a real bug at this time...but is worth looking into further. I'll report back anything I find out.

Last edited:
If you are using an MFC, its beginning value for the expression pedal can affect it too. In the MFC's MIDI menu, set the pedal's XP# Beg value to PDL (pedal) to make it use the pedal's current position when loading the preset. If you set it to any other value (000 to 127), the controller will be at that position's value when the preset loads and will update when you move the pedal. Setting it to OFF will make it transmit no value when the preset loads, and the Axe will use its own default value for the external controller (set in the I/O menu, MIDI page)

Last edited:
Setting it to OFF will make it transmit no value when the preset loads it the Axe will use its own default value for the external controller (set in the I/O menu, MIDI page)

This is only the case from powering on until the pedal is first used. The Axe keeps Ext Ctrls at the latest value across preset changes, so (after moving the pedal) the "OFF" and "PDL" settings on MFC will give the same result. (That's assuming pedal set for the same CC# always. If set for others per preset things get more complicated.)

This happened to me a few weeks ago, and I was baffled. Then I realized that the battery in my expression pedal that powers the LED was dead, so the IA switch was on, even though the light wasn't on. Silly me. :( I like it when it's a simple fix, though!

Back
Top Bottom