wah has stopped working on exp pedal 1

flash6969

Inspired
Hey all.

Feel a bit silly asking this, but hoping someone can check out my settings & see what i am missing. My wah used to work - now it doesn't. So, Exp pedal 1 is sending midi to the Axe Fx (midi in lights up when i move it) but does nothing on my wah sound. Nothing engages & obviously no wah effects.

Exp pedal 2 works fine, as expected. All exp pedals have been calibrated on my MFC101 mkIII.

I have followed online video tutorials for setting up a wah but nothing seems to engage the wah. Source is set to External 1 on my wah effect. Auto engage is set to medium.

MFC - XP1 is set to 11, XP2 set to 12.

Help me Obi Wan Kinobi, you're my only hope!

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4286

IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2819.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

Last edited:
Pedal1 and Pedal2 = pedal ports on the back of the Axe-FX.

The MFC is sending some CC# for each pedal. You need to set the Ext Ctrl to that CC# for it to respond to that pedal. It should be possible to use the "learn" feature on the Axe-FX if you aren't sure which CC# pedals are set to. Alternatively you can look at the pedal parameters on the MFC to determine CC#.

Pedal1 and Pedal2 = pedal ports on the back of the Axe-FX.

The MFC is sending some CC# for each pedal. You need to set the Ext Ctrl to that CC# for it to respond to that pedal. It should be possible to use the "learn" feature on the Axe-FX if you aren't sure which CC# pedals are set to. Alternatively you can look at the pedal parameters on the MFC to determine CC#.

Thanks @Bakerman. The Exp pedals are responding to the CC#. They work fine - just not on the wah.
For example, Exp 1 works to control the volume on this patch - http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=2642 (as expected).

As I said, the xp pedal 1 is sending midi to the Axe Fx (midi in lights up when i move it) but does nothing on my wah sound. Source is set to External 1 on my wah effect so I'm expecting this to 'learn' the XP1.

Are you saying I need to set the CC# just for the wah effect?

Which input is your expression pedal that you wanted to control the wah block connected to on the MFC?

By default MFC XP1 input is mapped to the CC# for output volume (11), and XP2 is mapped to the Axe-FX's default CC# for "External Controller 1" (16). Based on the photos you have uploaded your External 1 on Axe-Fx's Controller assignment page is set to "Pedal 1" which is the rear expression pedal input on the Axe FX, and your External 2 is mapped to "Pedal 2". If you are setting the modifier on the Control parameter of your Wah block to "External 1" specifically (sorry, not in front of my Axe-FX at the moment, so I can't check your preset) you will either need to:

1. Attach your expression pedal to "Pedal 1" on your Axe-FX (if you don't want to change that setting)
2. If you don't mind changing that setting, set it back to being "#16" and (assuming your MFC is at defaults), plug the expression pedal that you want to control your wha block into the XP2 jack on your MFC.

or

3. Configure he XP# for whichever input your pedal is connected to on the MFC to send on CC# 18 (External Control 3's default CC#, and still set that way based on your first picture), and then set your Wah control knob to be modified by External Control 3

I personally find it most straight forward to have my XP1 configure to transmit on CC# 16, and my XP2 set to CC# 17, I leave my Axe-FX controller assignments at default, and then I just assign External Controller 1 or External Controller 2 to the parameters I want to control per block.

[EDIT] I see now you said in your op that your MFC is configured to CC#12 for XP2, so that's why you're getting transmission light, but no change in sound. CC #12 is set to Output2 Volume, which you're probably not using I'm guessing, so that won't have any effect. The confusing part is there are two controller assignments at play with the Axe-Fx, there's what the MFC CC is transmitting as, and then there's what that CC is mapped to in the Axe-Fx... It's powerful, but can lead to some confusion.

Last edited:
Which input is your expression pedal that you wanted to control the wah block connected to on the MFC?

By default MFC XP1 input is mapped to the CC# for output volume (11), and XP2 is mapped to the Axe-FX's default CC# for "External Controller 1" (16). Based on the photos you have uploaded your External 1 on Axe-Fx's Controller assignment page is set to "Pedal 1" which is the rear expression pedal input on the Axe FX, and your External 2 is mapped to "Pedal 2". If you are setting the modifier on the Control parameter of your Wah block to "External 1" specifically (sorry, not in front of my Axe-FX at the moment, so I can't check your preset) you will either need to:

1. Attach your expression pedal to "Pedal 1" on your Axe-FX (if you don't want to change that setting)
2. If you don't mind changing that setting, set it back to being "#16" and (assuming your MFC is at defaults), plug the expression pedal that you want to control your wha block into the XP2 jack on your MFC.

or

3. Configure he XP# for whichever input your pedal is connected to on the MFC to send on CC# 18 (External Control 3's default CC#, and still set that way based on your first picture), and then set your Wah control knob to be modified by External Control 3

I personally find it most straight forward to have my XP1 configure to transmit on CC# 16, and my XP2 set to CC# 17, I leave my Axe-FX controller assignments at default, and then I just assign External Controller 1 or External Controller 2 to the parameters I want to control per block.

[EDIT] I see now you said in your op that your MFC is configured to CC#12 for XP2, so that's why you're getting transmission light, but no change in sound. CC #12 is set to Output2 Volume, which you're probably not using I'm guessing, so that won't have any effect. The confusing part is there are two controller assignments at play with the Axe-Fx, there's what the MFC CC is transmitting as, and then there's what that CC is mapped to in the Axe-Fx... It's powerful, but can lead to some confusion.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I wasnt aware of the default CC#'s for each pedal & obviously trying to run wah from XP1 is an issue.

All solved. Wah is mapped pt XP2 & works! Thanks again

For the record, I am in love with the WAHs on the AXE. They are so smooth when properly set. And I'm also amazed how my AXE works so perfectly with my antiquated X-15 pedalboard. I just set up Global Volume to the second Expression pedal. The WAH and volume are smooth, fast and tracks perfectly, with no latency.

Back
Top Bottom