Wah bypass help

gdgross

Experienced
I'm struggling to get this wah bypass behavior working properly with my mission sp1 (? - had the mission for so long i've forgotten the model, but i believe it's a NO momentary toe switch)

I fsw2 set to two switches. Controller "External 1" is assigned to the fsw2 tip; virtual toggle, with momentary closed behavior. I believe I have the wah bypass modifier assigned to external 1, but I'm getting strange behavior when i try to use the toe switch to engage bypass the wah block. (see the video in the dropbox link below for this behavior)

I'm guessing there's something else assigned to the wah bypass somewhere? I've tried all 4 pedal 2 tip behavior settings (follow hardware vs virtual toggle, and NC vs NO switch) and this is the closest I can get to making it work.

Any ideas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xg0zc59mybahcu/IMG_2748.MOV?dl=0

Check the wah bypass assignment in MIDI/Remote: Bypass. This sounds very similar to what was happening with Pitch 1 in this other thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/stand-in-switch-bug.167233/
indeed it does! Maybe part of my issue is that I don't 100% understand the difference between controllers, modifiers, etc, and how those relate to external switches plugged into the FM3 vs how they work with CCs, etc. I am also reconfiguring the pedalboard with a new external voes midi controller so there is possibly some holdover settings from before. (vol was controlled by external CC before, now direct via ext pedal 1, wah/expression was direct before, now remove via CC)

I have the wahwah1 bypass engage set to PEDAL 2 (EXP/SW TIP)

(I don't believe i've ever turned auto engage on...)

The issue is you’re setting a bypass number in the Setup menu and also directly assigning a modifier to the bypass control in the block. You’re setting 2 things at the same time to turn the block on and off. You just need one of those.

The setup menu is mostly for MIDI control, sending a CC number to turn it on and off. If you have midi turning a block on and off, but then you additionally tell something else to turn the same block on and off at the same time (the bypass parameter in the block), then it will get confused as it gets 2 messages for the same thing.

The issue is you’re setting a bypass number in the Setup menu and also directly assigning a modifier to the bypass control in the block. You’re setting 2 things at the same time to turn the block on and off. You just need one of those.

The setup menu is mostly for MIDI control, sending a CC number to turn it on and off. If you have midi turning a block on and off, but then you additionally tell something else to turn the same block on and off at the same time (the bypass parameter in the block), then it will get confused as it gets 2 messages for the same thing.
That's what it seems like to me, but I guess I'm not versed in fractal speak enough to know what that second thing is!

In the setup menu, i have wahwah1 bypass as PEDAL 2 (EXP/SW TIP) The only controllers I have in the entire FM3 when I press the controller button on the lower right of the display are Volume1 and WahWah1 (CC101 from an external midi box, for the pedal sweep, not the bypass, though.)

I believe I have the wah bypass modifier assigned to external 1, but I'm getting strange behavior when i try to use the toe switch to engage bypass the wah block. (see the video in the dropbox link below for this behavior)
in this statement you say "wah bypass modifier assigned to external 1."

do you mean this is from the Setup > MIDI menu? i took it to mean the Bypass button within the block itself.

also you're using Virtual Toggle. have you tried Follow Hardware?

in this statement you say "wah bypass modifier assigned to external 1."

do you mean this is from the Setup > MIDI menu? i took it to mean the Bypass button within the block itself.

also you're using Virtual Toggle. have you tried Follow Hardware?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I originally had the wahwah1 bypass assigned to external 1 in the block when I first asked the question.

I have been playing with it in the last hour, and I've since deleted external 1. Currently I think the wahwah1 bypass is assigned only to PEDAL 2 (EXP/SW TIP) in the setup -> MIDI menu.

Apologies for being confusing!

and yeah, follow hardware seems to be less reliable than virtual toggle actually. virtual toggle seems to engage when i hold the switch down, and disengage, when I release. follow hardware doesn't' look like it changes anything. next thing to try is a different physical footswitch i suppose.

Well, switching to an external switch instead of the toe switch seems to work fine. I am sure the external switch is a momentary, but I'm questioning whether the toe momentary or latching now. might just change out the toe switch and forget about this whole thing.

Do the ext switches need to be momentary? or can the be old school latching switches?

Well, switching to an external switch instead of the toe switch seems to work fine. I am sure the external switch is a momentary, but I'm questioning whether the toe momentary or latching now. might just change out the toe switch and forget about this whole thing.

Do the ext switches need to be momentary? or can the be old school latching switches?
latching switches aren't the best. since the fm3 is digital, it can interpret a momentary signal (tap release) as a latch.

a latching switch can only send latching signals (press = tap, another press = release), so that can cause some commands to require 2 presses for one command.

i'd verify if it's momentary, and if possible, use momentary physical switches only.

latching switches aren't the best. since the fm3 is digital, it can interpret a momentary signal (tap release) as a latch.

a latching switch can only send latching signals (press = tap, another press = release), so that can cause some commands to require 2 presses for one command.

i'd verify if it's momentary, and if possible, use momentary physical switches only.
latching aside i just discovered the real issue. the output jack of this switch is TRS, and I was using a TS cable to connect to only the tip of the FSW2 input, shorting out one of the connections.

I disconnected the ring internally and it seems to work fine now!

latching aside i just discovered the real issue. the output jack of this switch is TRS, and I was using a TS cable to connect to only the tip of the FSW2 input, shorting out one of the connections.

I disconnected the ring internally and it seems to work fine now!
Yeah that too :)

SP1 with the switch were made TRS as most midi controllers don’t have dedicated “switch” ports, but only Expression expecting a TRS.

Related question:

If I have a wah block set to auto-engage with movement of an expression pedal, can I make it ”un-engagable” in a different Scene? For example, I'd like have the wah available on a Scene that's a lead boost, but not on my main crunch Scene, as to avoid accidental engagement of the wah.

So far, I haven't been able to just set the wah to bypass in a different scene because the expression pedal is set as as auto-engaged modifier of it, I think...

Thanks.

Yes. Modifiers can be configured for all channels of a block or one specific channel. Set your Wah control modifier to operate only on one channel instead of all channels. On scenes where you want wah available, select that same channel in the wah block. On scenes where you don't want wah available, change the wah block to a different channel and make sure it's bypassed.

" Set your Wah control modifier to operate only on one channel instead of all channels."
How exactly do you do that? I am running into this issue as well. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom