Wah always on when switching to new preset

Jemlite

Been messing around with wah blocks and options lately. Now noticing every time I switch to a new preset with a wah block in it (set to bypass), it's always on until I move the exp pedal, and then shuts off and works correctly auto engage. Its even on with any factory presets if a wah block is present.

I did a search and found this thread that is pretty much the exact issue I am having. It didn't give me a successful solution tho:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wah-keeps-turning-on-when-switch-presets.122065/#post-1452449

I have: XL+ running 7beta2, and MFC III all with latest firmware. Using a Boss 500L plugged into the mfc ext 1. Auto engage is set to 5% heel down. (but even on presets without auto engage the block is always initially on a new preset).

I have gone thru all the I/O and midi settings, auto engage settings, calibration. Still if there is a wah block present in a preset, it is on when switched to that preset without touching a thing.

Last edited:
Also noticing that even when I save a preset as the wah block off, when I come back to it is set to and saved ON again. My axe is haunted. ugg.

This is happening on presets that don't have auto engage set on them also. So it doesn't sound like anything or settings with that. Basically if there is a wah block present it is always on when first switched to that preset.

Last edited:
This is happening on presets that don't have auto engage set on them also.

Are you sure auto-engage isn't enabled? Most or all factory presets with wah blocks have auto-engage enabled.

It might be useful to post a preset that has this issue.

Is the pedal at heel-down position when this occurs?

Positive. I have gone in and tried a bunch of options, Auto on auto off - Block on block off - PC reset - MIDI I/O settings on the axe - MIDI and setup options on the mfc... and saved the settings to see if made a difference. Nothing. I can post a preset, but it is every preset. Stock or my own. If it has a wah block it is always on.

and I like the auto on heel down.. but I have set that to toe down to try it and still no fix.

In the Axe-FX I/O: CTRL menu, what's Wahwah 1 Bypass set to?

If you set it to NONE and store a preset w/ wah bypassed (no autoengage), is it bypassed after recalling the preset?

It was set to 97.
That worked!... No wah!

Why would that work tho? 97 is the default. Is it my type of pedal> the BOSS FV500? That should be in big bold letters in the manual.

Many thanks dude!

It was set to 97.
That worked!... No wah!

Why would that work tho? 97 is the default. Is it my type of pedal> the BOSS FV500? That should be in big bold letters in the manual.

Many thanks dude!

The MFC must be sending a CC#97 value. This shouldn't happen by default.

Did you change an XP or IA setting to CC#97? The pedal needs to send the CC# for the Ext Ctrl you're assigning to wah freq. control, not the wah bypass CC#. Nothing should be set to CC#97 on the MFC, unless you're trying to create a wah bypass switch.

My Axes I/O ctrl menu showed it as 97 default (my unit is new and I've never messed with it), its just the number progression of all the settings on that menu. I only changed that like you said to NONE.

My mfc EXT 1 i had set to 16 (EXT CTRL 1 default is 16 inside the Axe) and left it there. My BOSS FV pedal doesn't have a switch on it so never set an off. Just use auto engage.

Back
Top Bottom