Wacky Notes/ Axe FX II

swass

Power User
I come to discover something really odd to me with my Axe II. Don't know if this is normal but am inclined not to think so. When I play singular note on the low "E" string in particular I get this really weird transition of the notes, (don't how to describe it so I posted a clip). I does it on most presets and and edited patches alike. Particularly noticeable when using the neck pickup. It's not the guitar, pickup or USB. I troubleshot the basic common sense things before I posted.

I posted here to get to get a quicker response. If it's in the wrong category my apologies. Also forgive the quality of the clip. It's just to serve a purpose.

Peace,

http://soundcloud.com/swass-1/wacky-notes-axe-fx-ii

Last edited:
the first thing that comes to mind is the pickup height. if they are high then it can pull on the string itself and give that type of effect. did you try it with other guitars?

Yes. I tried multiple guitars and they do it as well. Pickups are low output and the height is fine. Lots of clearance.

No. I'm referring to how the guitar note seems to morph into, (for lack of a better description) a sound generator type of tone. Third excerpt seems to depict this really well

I hear it, but I don't know what's causing it...sounds like an old sci-fi sound effect...it's oscillating...

Hopefully someone will chime in if they've experienced this or Cliff will know exactly what the deal is.

No. I'm referring to how the guitar note seems to morph into, (for lack of a better description) a sound generator type of tone. Third excerpt seems to depict this really well

I too had that problem. I was using an amp that didn't have enough distortion, so I was using a drive block with the drive down and the level cranked to overdrive the input of the amp block. I found it sounded much better and the note morphing into a "sound generator" went away when I cranked the input trim of the amp block instead of cranking the output of the drive block.
Mark

Is the noise gate on? It seems to me this is the gate kicking in! Also, there seems to be too much distortion in your sound, maybe try to lower the drive. And if you crank the master, the drive should not pass 12 o clock or things will get muddy, like in your clip. Hope this helps!!

Thanks Mark. I'm pretty bummed and at this point I'll give it a shot but the presets do it as well. Haven't gone through all of them but with the Cameron High Gain, this does it really well with no drive block.

In the Cameron amp block, try turning up the input trim and turning down the drive. you might also want to turn down the master vol.
Mark

Sounds like major vibrato. Does it do it when you play an open E string or just when you're fretting a note?

In the Cameron amp block, try turning up the input trim and turning down the drive. you might also want to turn down the master vol.
Mark

Thanks Mark. That did it for the Cameron. I just turned up the input trim. Now I'll have to go the the others. I was starting to think it was something more globally.

I'd try to disable the noise gate to see if that helps, cause like someone else said, it does sound like something is kicking in at some point.
Also, do you have SS frets on your guitars? I've found that sometimes they do introduce some strage overtones (especially when used with distortion and a low action)...
Beaten to it by Cliff...

Thanks Mark. That did it for the Cameron. I just turned up the input trim. Now I'll have to go the the others. I was starting to think it was something more globally.

All turning up the input trim does is increase the level sent to the amp.

Do you have another guitar to check this with? Sounds like the pickups are too close to the strings to me (causes the string to vibrate and sounds just like that).

I'd try to disable the noise gate to see if that helps, cause like someone else said, it does sound like something is kicking in at some point.
Also, do you have SS frets on your guitars? I've found that sometimes they do introduce some strage overtones (especially when used with distortion and a low action)...
Beaten to it by Cliff...

I hear what your saying about the gate. All my gates are set minimally with the threshold just on the cusp, so to allow for smooth volume swells and note sustain. SS frets... no, no, no, no, Dunlop wire.

Back
Top Bottom