Waaa, Waaa!

rickbarclay

Inspired
My wah wah doesn't work anymore. I just upgraded to Quantum 9.03 from Quantum 3.02. I disconnected
the mfc before upgrading but left the wah wah cable connected during the process--same as I have done for
each and every update I have run. The block is set to Extern 1, but when I use the pedal nothing moves on the modifier screen. When I change settings on the modifier screen, the little ball jiggles and then stops.

I did have some problems with the Quantum update, and I used the Utility button on the AXE to look at some settings there before I realized what the update problem was. But I'm not sure if that might have affected the w-w pedal. All I know is it worked fine under 3.02, but it's not working now under 9.03. Other than that, everything works great. Please help!

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

This has happened to me before. I just changed the External controller to something else, exited the menu, went back in and selected the correct controller. Aside from that, go into the MFC and recalibrate the expression pedal.

Are you saying you have the controller connected to the MFC or to the pedal port on the Axe Fx?

I have the wah wah is connected to the pedal port.

Narzugon, I don't like what I'm seeing here. I did what you said and brought the mfc to the calibrate screen. The screen shows Ext 1 and the values show 112 for the Heel position and 123 for the toe. The cursor is set to calibrate the heel position but moving the pedal does nothing to change the value. Same thing with the toe position. I'm following the instructions from the mfc user manual.

The only thing I can think of is either the foot pedal has failed or that I might have to change a setting in the AXE itself. I have the AXE manual but if somebody could lead me to the AXE's own foot pedal calibration page I'd much appreciate the time saving. Thanx.

I just checked the wah wah pedal itself through a different effects unit and cab, and I get a response when I work the pedal up and down. So, I assume the pedal is good.

Last edited:
I have the wah wah is connected to the pedal port.

Narzugon, I don't like what I'm seeing here. I did what you said and brought the mfc to the calibrate screen. The screen shows Ext 1 and the values show 112 for the Heel position and 123 for the toe. The cursor is set to calibrate the heel position but moving the pedal does nothing to change the value. Same thing with the toe position. I'm following the instructions from the mfc user manual.

The only thing I can think of is either the foot pedal has failed or that I might have to change a setting in the AXE itself. I have the AXE manual but if somebody could lead me to the AXE's own foot pedal calibration page I'd much appreciate the time saving. Thanx.
If you have the controller plugged into the pedal port on the Axe Fx there is nothing to calibrate on the MFC. You need to adjust the Axe Fx...

Also, I believe you would select "Pedal 1" not "Ext 1" as the pedal port (or ports, depending on which model Axe Fx) is not "external". It's been a long time since I used the pedal port, so I don't remember the details.

It would make more sense to connect your controller to one of the MFC pedal ports.

EDIT: after a quick scan of the manual you need to go to Global I/O menu on the CTRL tab, make sure Ext 1 is assigned to PEDAL.

Last edited:
I just went back to the mfc manual and right on page 32 is instructions for calibrating through the AXE__I/O--Cal--change setting from 16 to pedal...blah, blah. It seems to be working now, although the setting numbers I got using the mfc kinda bothers me because the pedal response I'm getting isn't as sharp as I think it should be. Some tweaking looks to be in order. But it's working. So Merry Christmas for that.

Thanks unix-guy for the quick reply. I almost did change the connection to mfc pedal 2 port, but didn't. Can you tell me why I chould connect to the mfc rather than the AXE? Well..back to the grind...

I just went back to the mfc manual and right on page 32 is instructions for calibrating through the AXE__I/O--Cal--change setting from 16 to pedal...blah, blah. It seems to be working now, although the setting numbers I got using the mfc kinda bothers me because the pedal response I'm getting isn't as sharp as I think it should be. Some tweaking looks to be in order. But it's working. So Merry Christmas for that.

Thanks unix-guy for the quick reply. I almost did change the connection to mfc pedal 2 port, but didn't. Can you tell me why I chould connect to the mfc rather than the AXE? Well..back to the grind...
Let me restate this so I'm clear: if you are connecting to the Axe Fx pedal port, the MFC is NOT related. Looking at numbers on the MFC is not relevant - it only knows and cares about the pedals you plug into the MFC.

The reason I suggested to use the pedal ports on the MFC is that then you need just a short TRS cable to connect the controller to the MFC and then your control signal all goes from the MFC to the Axe Fx. Since I assume your controller is placed very near your MFC then proximity of both makes it easier. Then you have only 1 cable between where your pedals go and where your Axe Fx is.

Oh, OK. I kind of suspected, after things got working, that those calibration numbers on the mfc were irevelent because of where the pedal was plugged into.I have a nice long cable connected that I think has been connected there even before I got the mfc--several years ago. Cords are a major pita no matter what length they are. lol

Oh, OK. I kind of suspected, after things got working, that those calibration numbers on the mfc were irevelent because of where the pedal was plugged into.I have a nice long cable connected that I think has been connected there even before I got the mfc--several years ago. Cords are a major pita no matter what length they are. lol
True... But much easier to find short TRS cables than long ones ;)

Glad you got it sorted.

Back
Top Bottom