W/D/W Setup but Output 2 Hums

deakle

Experienced
I am using my Axe-Fx II in a w/d/w set up. I am using a Carvin DCM1540L power amp to power my stereo setup through 2 Carvin 2x12 Cabinets with Celestion Vintage 30's. Then I am using Output 2 to drive my Carvin V3M amp also with a single Carvin 2x12 Cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30's. The only issue that I have is that I have hum through my Carvin V3M. I have tried running Output 2 both to the input of my V3M and into the return of the effects loop and I get hum both ways. Any ideas on how to eliminate the hum? I apologize if this is a dumb question but I am new to the Fractal Audio world.

I am using my Axe-Fx II in a w/d/w set up. I am using a Carvin DCM1540L power amp to power my stereo setup through 2 Carvin 2x12 Cabinets with Celestion Vintage 30's. Then I am using Output 2 to drive my Carvin V3M amp also with a single Carvin 2x12 Cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30's. The only issue that I have is that I have hum through my Carvin V3M. I have tried running Output 2 both to the input of my V3M and into the return of the effects loop and I get hum both ways. Any ideas on how to eliminate the hum? I apologize if this is a dumb question but I am new to the Fractal Audio world.

Great thread deakle :encouragement:

I'm new too and I want to spec out my rig the right way the first time - after all - its a lot of wasted $$$ to go the trial and error route that we all read about so often. :cry

I have no experience with w/d/w at all but I would love to learn about the details and the pros and cons of going with a w/d/w setup :geek before :eagerness: selecting an $$$ stereo power/speaker solution (my understanding is that one would use 3-channel amplification for a w/d/w setup - but I have no idea what I am talking about). :stupid:

And I am always interested in learning how to deal with silencing hum. :encouragement:

Hum can come from the envirnoment close to where your rig is set up. I found lights, computers and other electronics near can cause major hum problems at times. Even the order in which the pre-amps and amps are turned on-I have found can cause issues?
Check cables make sure the are sheilded correctly. High gain settings can be a pain also-check you gate settings as well-There is a fine line between Gate Good and Bad. I personal use a seperate gate before my fxL block to my dry amp.

You've created a ground loop. Pretty common with more complex setups with unbalanced connections. The safest way to solve the issue is to transformer isolate one of the amps. The most logical amp to isolate is your V3M. There are a few commercially available transformers that will do the trick. Ebtech HE-2 is the most common.

Back
Top Bottom